Seat Belt Buckle Problem

stiggygirl

I recently moved my daughter in Britax Advocate and we love it, BUT, the base of it is just big enough to cover up the buckle, or "receiver" end of the seat belts on both sides in our BMW 525i. They are fixed into the seat so they cannot be pulled out. I have been trying to find an extender for it, like a mini seat belt so the buckle can lie flat under the base of the car seat and come out on both sides, but all I have been able to find is a seat belt extension to make the seat belt itself longer. This is a huge problem as we cannot safely have any passengers in the back of the car.

Has anybody else had a similar problem? If so, what was your solution?

THANKS!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The solution would probably be to get a narrower car seat, or move the seat outboard so you are not covering up both buckles. You can try to push them out the sides and wiggle the seat in between them but it may not work. Are you using the seatbelt to install your seat?

stiggygirl

Thanks for the suggestion. I suppose it would be possible to move her outboard when there is somebody else riding in the back, however.... the car is so small that with her rear facing, it doesn't leave any room for anybody to sit in the front seat once the car seat is behind it!

I'm gonna hold out hope that there is a seat belt buckle extension out there in the world somewhere!!! Like the extension on the seat belt of an airplane... anybody? anybody?

disbugsmomma

How old is your dd? If she's old enough, you should be able to install the seat more upright, up to 30 degrees from vertical. Also, if the front seat is reclined, try putting it upright, as that will also give more room.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've never heard of a buckle extension. I'm betting it would not be allowed with a car seat anyway (seatbelt extensions for cars are not. Planes are a different story.)

emthecountrycat

i don't know anything about your car or if they are legal or anything, but i have a seat belt extender that fits my car.

oh and i think she ment for the passenger who would be riding outboard so they can buckle their belt.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
BMW recommends that you not use lower anchors in the center seating position, so make sure you're installing with a vehicle belt.

I've never heard of a buckle extender. If other passengers cannot use the seatbelts when the carseat is installed in the center, it will need to be moved outboard if the other vehicle belts are needed.

C

chefmegan

I am having this same issue in my car except only on the side behind the passenger seat. We bought our Marathon several months ago while we had a VW passat knowing it would fit fine, but we got a 2005 volvo v70 last month to replace it. We just installed our Marathon Rf in the center today because our baby has outgrown her snugride.

Luckily we don't often have to tote 4 adults in the car, but when my parents come to visit we do, and I don't want anyone riding in my car without seat belts. The outboard positions aren't an option because I don't think it will fit well rearfacing without crushing the legs of the occupants in the front seat.

I found some extenders online at store.moreofmetolove.com and they say they are compatible with my car. I am probably going to order it just to have on hand if we need it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Roll a small handtowel or use a small/normal pool noodle cut to the length of the base. Put it under the front of the base. Usually this is instructed to get more recline in the seat, but actually it's a perfect fix (usually!) to move the base up just a touch so you can reach the buckles for the outboard seats :thumbsup:

PS, lots of car manufacturers have buckle extenders (manuals usually mention them and how to get them from the dealer. Honda's the only exception I've ever heard of that doesn't...) But it's really not necessary.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The 525i buckles ARE buried in the vehicle seat, but they are not fixed (as in no webbing to attach the buckles to the car frame, only metal). If you buckle the outboard seatbelts, pull the shoulder belt all the was out (slowly!) to make the shoulder belt lock, then pull the seat belts as tight as you can, the buckles will pull out of the way enough to fit a Britax base between them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC