Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

HELP! My 3 year old keeps undoing her chest clip!

I have the radian XT for her and she just keeps undoing the chest clip! It's so easy for her to unbuckle it. Our main suv I have a marathon for her, she doesn't unbuckle that one. I keep telling her NOT to with threats but still she is so sneaky! What should I do????
    Did I read somewhere that I could switch out the chest clips with a britax one? I thought I heard that was okay someone around here. Suggestions?

Lynne - Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician
    Johnny - 8 yrs old riding in a Frontier/Compass Camo B510
    Emma - 4 yrs old riding in a Marathon Emma and Cowmoo

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: HELP! My 3 year old keeps undoing her chest clip!

I have the same issue with my 2y/o and it drives me crazy! SK does not allow you to use the Britax clip (they used to but not anymore). You can put velcro on the clip to make it uncomfortable for her to touch. But with her being 3y/o I think that just being strict and consistent will eventually work...tough love momma
    DD1 10.5y/o seatbelt
    DD2 8y/o 45" 52lbs. backless
    DS 7y/o 51" 58lbs. ProBooster or backless

Is she just 3 or closer to 4? I'm trying to think if a trip to the police station would work. You could have an officer tell her how important it is to stay buckled in
    Madeline CPST and mom to my loves:
    8 (turbo w/ safety surround) & 6 (frontier 85)

Carseat Crazy

My ds used to do that! No advice really, it is just so frustrating. The thrill wore off after a while.
    Me & DH FF'ing in seatbelts
    DS 6/04 in a PWSG HBB
    DS 09/10 ERF in RA50

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline410 View Post
    Is she just 3 or closer to 4? I'm trying to think if a trip to the police station would work. You could have an officer tell her how important it is to stay buckled in
    Yes, this, if you think it won't scare her too much. My DD listens much better when other adults tell her what to do (or not to do).
    Jenny
    CPST and mommy to
    Jessica 6.18.06 and Tyler 8.5.08
    Both riding in Frontier 85s

Carseat Crazy

Just ignore her for a while and she should stop. The chest clip is just a positioner anyway. I'm not saying it isn't important but I just don't see it as THAT important. I'd clip it when I put her in and make sire her straps are tight and then just let it be.

After a few times maybe she'll stop on her own. When the "new" wears off.

JAcob is 4 and he undoes his all the time. When I notice it undone I just say to him in a very "who cares" way... "Jacob, Please do your clippy Please." and he does and will usually leave it alone until we are done.

I just don't freak out over the chest clip. I'd be more freaked out if it were over her belly then if it is undone.

The Zombies are coming! The Zombies are coming!