How long do we probably have w/Nautilus?

a_js

DS is 44" tall, 42 lbs, 17" torso and just moved up to the top slots on the Nautilus (i.e. his shoulders are just above the 2nd to top slots). He is not ready to ride in a booster for anything but short, supervised trips, and I don't foresee that changing any time soon, so I need to make sure we have a harnessed option for a while longer. Can any of the parents of more than 1 speculate as to how long the Nautilus might last us?

Thanks in advance :)

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I'd say a year to a year and a half, on average.
I'd *bank* on the 9 months until his 6th bday.....
I'd expect 12-18 months, and 2 years could happen.

a_js

thank you!
As I understand it the regent would be our only higher-harnessing option.. let's hope he doesn't need one, because I don't like them, lol.

myliljunebugs

It does really depend on the kid, but DS grew an inch in torso in about a year and a half at that age range. So I would say easily a year, up to a possible 2 years. :)

Raegansmom4

I've heard w/ the post-advisory Regents (the newer ones) that require the recline bar, you actually only get about 19" w/ the harness, so you only gain about a 1/2 inch w/ the Regent over the Nautilus. I was considering the Regent for my dd until I heard that.

myliljunebugs

Really? Did they change the actual seat? DS's regent is installed with the recline bar and while he has just barely outgrown the Nauti, he has about 2 inches or so left on the Regent.

Raegansmom4

I could totally be wrong - just what someone told me, so it could be inaccurate. I posted a week or so ago about getting a Regent since my dd is about to move up to top slots of Nauti and someone (can't remember who off top of my head) said I probably wouldn't gain a whole lot. I suppose it also depends how it installs in individual vehicles.

Jennifer mom to my 7

My dd is in both a regent and a nautilus. She is on the top slot of the nautilus, but the 3rd slot in the regent. The regent installs about the same in both vans, so the different vehicles really isn't an issue.
IMG_8261_2.jpg

IMG_8265_5.jpg

But, you should have at least a year more in the nautilus I would think. MY dd got about 15 months in her decathlon after she was flipped forward facing and moved to the top slots.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's one of those things that varies widely from vehicle to vehicle. I've found that the Regent is a very variable install.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC