Question Is it legal...?

mommygraham

...to have a 2.5 year old in a high back booster with ONLY an adult shoulder belt? It's CLEARLY unsafe, but is it actually against the law?

ADS

2BunniesMommy

Depends on the location and what the laws are there and it depends on the booster and what age and size it is rated for and if the baby is within the stated ranges, but yes, it could be. It should not be, but depending on all the above, if might be.

mommygraham

I think I saw that the booster was a First Years. He'll be 3 in January and is in the 95% for height and about the same for weight. I'm just starting to get to know this lady. She and I showed up at the same time this afternoon for my baby shower (of course I tried to sneak a peak at what her little guy rides in) and I was shocked to see that all that ws keeping him in place was a regular seat belt! We live in TX, and just moved here a few months ago, so I'm not sure of the laws. Not that that's an excuse. I just know that I'll RF my kids longer than any law, so I don't bother looking closely KWIM? I just couldn't believe it! Here I have an almost 4 year old RF in a 5 pt harness, and her 2.5 year old is sitting in a booster with a belt!

HEVY

Do you mean a lap/shoulder belt or a shoulder belt without lap belt? The way it's stated has me thinking it's just the shoulder belt.

mommygraham

Do you mean a lap/shoulder belt or a shoulder belt without lap belt? The way it's stated has me thinking it's just the shoulder belt.

Sorry, I'm probably using the wrong terms. I mean the kind of belt that we use as a driver/passenger in the front.

Qarin

Texas law does not specify an age or weight for moving from a harness to a booster seat, but does stipulate that the seat used be used according to manufacturer instructions. First Years/Learning Curve/Compass booster seats, if the 505 is a generalizable example, do specify a minimum age of 3 years old, and a minimum weight of 30lbs.

The new law, though, is not enforceable until July, 2010- before then, a warning can be given but no citations issued. After July, 2010, the fine is $25.

So clearly, to us, not safe, but not very illegal in Texas.

mommygraham

Texas law does not specify an age or weight for moving from a harness to a booster seat, but does stipulate that the seat used be used according to manufacturer instructions. First Years/Learning Curve/Compass booster seats, if the 505 is a generalizable example, do specify a minimum age of 3 years old, and a minimum weight of 30lbs.

The new law, though, is not enforceable until July, 2010- before then, a warning can be given but no citations issued. After July, 2010, the fine is $25.

So clearly, to us, not safe, but not very illegal in Texas.

Thank you. I'm getting to know this lady, but when I do see her, it's only briefly before/after church. I want to say something to her. I know her son is well over 30 lbs, but he should at least be in a 5 pt harness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC