Question Britax Boulevard, Quinny Zapp 4 and newborn.

JSanchez

Hello everyone,

First off, thank you for having such a great and informative forum. My wife and I are expecting our first baby (It's a boy! :D) and we've been doing LOTS of research on which carseat/stroller and crib (that may not belong in this thread!) to get.

After all the research, and spending the entire afternoon at Babies-r-Us, we had narrowed down our choices to the Chicco Keyfit package, that included the stroller, infant carrier, and base. We took the Chicco and Graco Quattro (our other choice) to my wife's car ('09 Honda Civic Coupe...we got it before we decided to have a baby...) to see if the strollers would fit after collapsing, and that's how we narrowed it to the Chicco. We also looked at the Peg-Perego strollers, and decided to go home and do some more research (we liked how small it collapsed, and how lightweight it was) but then we saw another patron pushing a cool-looking Quinny Zapp 4 (we didn't know it was called that until this evening) and we had to ask how they liked it. The lady said it was lightweight and collapsed small enough that it would fit into just about any trunk, so we added it to the list of "must look." We found reviews, and it seems as if it may be durable enough that it would last until we start on our other baby. :D But then we found this site, and learned about the Britax brand of convertible carseats. Now to my question(s):

1) Can I use a Britax Boulevard with a newborn? Their site says that it includes newborn inserts, and we figured we'll cover two bases with a convertible. We live in Southern CA, so cold weather (what's that? ;)) is not an issue, so we thought we could get away from getting an infant carrier. Besides, my wife and I want to be able to carry our baby in a sling or something similar (I'll search for recommendations later)

2) Since the Quinny doesn't seem to lay-flat, what compact stroller would you recommend that could be used by a newborn, and as the baby grows, will later accommodate his needs? We're not joggers, but we do enjoy an occasional stroll through some easy trails, and also will take our baby for walks on a daily basis, as weather permits.

3) Does anyone know if the Boulevard fits without too much problem in an '09 Honda Civic? I figure that getting the baby in and out of the carseat will not be easy to do, but we still think that an infant carrier would not be of too much use for us.

Your advice/comments are greatly appreciated!

Joanna, Jose and Joshua (our baby's name!)

ADS

TheNimpsGirl

Welcome!

1.) Unless you have a very long torso newborn you probably will not be able to safetly use a Boulevard. The bottom slots are 10" which is crazy high in comparison to other seats and as I'm sure you already know, when your child is rear-facing their straps need to be at or below their shoulders. And while I have seen pictures of newborns fit into them, I would say IMO it isn't the norm. My son who has a shortish torso would have last month at 8ish months just be able to use the seat.

If you are wanting to skip the carrier altogether and want a convertible you should consider any of the Radians from Sunshine Kids, Evenflo Truimph Advance, the True Fit (either regular or premiere), Coccorro, MyRide and the Scenera (there maybe more but that's what I can think of off the top of my head). They all have low enough slots and some come with infant padding.

2.) What is your budget? Do you want a full size stroller? Compact? What features besides recline are important to you? Reversible seat/handle? Carry cot? Colors? Accessories?

3.) I don't have any personal experience with installing a Boulevard in a 09 Civic so maybe some one else can chime in there, but Britax seats are known for their ease of installation in lots of vehicles.

JSanchez

Thank you! And thank you for your prompt reply...it is much appreciated!

1.) Unless you have a very long torso newborn you probably will not be able to safetly use a Boulevard. The bottom slots are 10" which is crazy high in comparison to other seats and as I'm sure you already know, when your child is rear-facing their straps need to be at or below their shoulders. And while I have seen pictures of newborns fit into them, I would say IMO it isn't the norm. My son who has a shortish torso would have last month at 8ish months just be able to use the seat.

If you are wanting to skip the carrier altogether and want a convertible you should consider any of the Radians from Sunshine Kids, Evenflo Truimph Advance, the True Fit (either regular or premiere), Coccorro, MyRide and the Scenera (there maybe more but that's what I can think of off the top of my head). They all have low enough slots and some come with infant padding.

Thank you for the information. This is the main reason I asked a question here. Manufacturer's websites tell you one thing, and if I didn't know about the height issue, we probably would've found out when we would've bought the item. Now, I have some other brands to research. Fortunately, the baby isn't due until end of January. :D Hopefully, the aforementioned carseats will have some kind of side impact protection...but away to research I go. :)

2.) What is your budget? Do you want a full size stroller? Compact? What features besides recline are important to you? Reversible seat/handle? Carry cot? Colors? Accessories?

Our max budget for the stroller is $600. If there were a hybrid that would have the benefits of a full size with the collapsed size of a compact, that would be perfect. Of course, safety is our main concern. Biggest feature that we would like are: can fully recline so that our newborn can ride safely in it, and later can be used up to 50 lbs (if possible) when he's older. Color...well, blue would be nice, although we can go with neutral colors, in case the next baby is a girl. Which is another nice feature to have: Something that will last so that maybe little bro/sis can use later. :) A canopy to protect the baby from the sun and that would allows us to see him (is that the reversible kind?) would be nice. The most important feature is safety. We read reviews about the Quinny that they're prone to tipping over if something is hung on the handles, but I know that this means higher weight (can't have your cake kind of thing...)

3.) I don't have any personal experience with installing a Boulevard in a 09 Civic so maybe some one else can chime in there, but Britax seats are known for their ease of installation in lots of vehicles.

Cool! I saw some pictures posted showing some of the carseats, and although it looked cramped, it didn't seem as bad as I thought it would be. The biggest hassle is that it's a Coupe (2-doors) and getting in the back is hard enough for an adult...I can only imagine an adult carrying a baby would be even more difficult. Our other car is a Honda Element, which I'm not sure if it has LATCH (it should...I'll double check) but it would be easier to move the baby in and out of that vehicle...

Once again, thank you for your prompt reply, and look forward to reading other experiences/advice!

Jx3 (see original sig...LOL!)

djma

Just have to second that a Britax isn't the best choice for a newborn. My daughter is almost 11 weeks and the bottom harness slot is a good inch to two inches above her shoulders.

The Evenflo Triumph Advance would be great especially with the padding. I tried my daughter in one yesterday and even without the infant insert, she fit fine harness wise. She definitely needed the padding because she looked like she was swimming in it width wise.

Good luck!!

InternationalMama

We read reviews about the Quinny that they're prone to tipping over if something is hung on the handles, but I know that this means higher weight (can't have your cake kind of thing...)

I think some of the tipping reviews you'll read for the Zapp are for the European version which only has 3 wheels and is more prone to tipping. (They were required to add the fourth wheel to meet NA stability requirements as I understand it.) But I have the Zapp (EU version) and it's true that you can't put anything on the handlebars.

It doesn't sound to me like the Zapp is the right stroller for you. I don't know much about strollers (it's the only one I have), but it's a real niche stroller. If you need a very compact fold for something like an airplane overhead compartment then it's great. And as a bonus it looks cool. But other than that pretty much anything else will work better. It has limited storage capacity (mine has none, actually), no adjust on the handle height, no recline feature, the wheels are pretty loud, and so on. But you can fold it down so small that you can attach it to the back of your bicycle so it has its place.

As far as the Zapp with a car seat, the infant seats it fits with in the US don't seem to be highly recommended here, even if you were considering an infant seat. And if you're not considering an infant seat you should know that even though the manufacturer says 6 months and up for using the stroller on its own, I think most babies will need to be a bit bigger than that to be comfortable in it. I would say most babies will only fit the stroller part when they start to outgrow the infant seat (9 months or so at the earliest).

I am all for getting a convertible car seat an skipping the infant carrier, especially if you plan to babywear, and lots of people here can suggest good choices for that if you want to do that, but if you do I would also skip the Zapp, at least for now. You can reassess your needs this time next year. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What about using the Zapp if that is the stroller you really like, and getting a Keyfit (my favorite infant seat to install ever) with a click-in stroller frame (like the Snap N Go?) That would allow you to get the stroller you really want, have a good infant seat, and have something to use as a stroller with the baby until she is old enough for the Zapp. :)

(Of course, personally, I don't use infant seats with my newborns any more. I brought my last home in a convertible and plan to do the same with my future children. I have a Maclaren, which does lie almost flat, but mostly did not use it when my daughter was a newborn. Not for her anyway. I like to wear my babies; I used my ring sling instead until she was old enough to sit in the stroller-- and even after that, a lot of the time. :) There are convertibles that fit newborns very well, the Boulevard is just not one of them.)

TheNimpsGirl

If there were a hybrid that would have the benefits of a full size with the collapsed size of a compact, that would be perfect.

I'm so far outside the stroller loop right now because my stroller (an Uppa Baby Vista) is now "way old" as it's an 08 model ;) I know about some of the new ones coming out from ABC from Stroller Queen but not having played with them it's hard to give a reccomendation... hmm...

Have you looked at the Pliko Switch? It's under $500 and is like the P3 but it has the reversing feature, full recline and a seat that turns into a bassinet, a fold like an umbrella and some really great other features. The video on their site, http://pliko.pegperegousa.com/switch-videos.html, demonstrates it really well. I know a lot of people love the original P3 (I couldn't feel the P3 love when I first played with it because it wouldn't have fit nicely in my old car and I wanted one that reversed). Having not played with it I don't know its quirks but I like the looks of it personally.

Ummm... I adore Maclarens, period. A Mac will probably be my next stroller purchase... unless I sell the UPV to fund the Bee Plus that is coming out...

My best advise is to go and play with a ton. Fold them, unfold them, kick the tires, lug it around for a bit all folded up, lay it on the ground folded up so you can see where it will hit on the ground, measure it, touch the fabrics, check out the sun shades, check the brakes, be a complete nut job in the store checking every feature. It's better to look like a weirdo playing with a stroller than buying one, getting it home and discovering you hate it!

SillyLily

The new Cybex Callisto is supposed to be a really nice stroller that works from birth. It folds "umbrella style" and has a lot of nice features like adjustable handlebars and a suspension system. It sells for $350.

The Maclarens are very nice, particularly the Techno that has bigger wheels and works from birth. $300-$400.

The BOB strollers with the swivel front wheel are very nice, particularly if you are very outdoorsy, but they do not fold as compactly. I think they run about $400.

The Bugaboo Bee is very nice and worth looking at. I have one and love it. I wrote a review on epinions.com on it, if you would like more info on it. It folds fairly compact and has a lot of high-end features. It MSRPs for $529, but can be bought cheaper online if you use coupons and/or a cashback site.

I do also have a Quinny Zapp (with 4 wheels and a basket underneath) that I love. It can be used with the Maxi Cosi Mico infant seat. I use JuJuBe Be Connected clips on it to hold the diaper bag, and as long as they are placed low enough on the stroller, it does not tip.

There is a new Mutsy stroller that just came out (I think it's called the Transporter) that is supposed to collapse very compactly and is supposed to be very nice. I like Mutsy strollers, they are very well made. The Mutsy Slider also collapses very nicely. If you buy a stroller that accepts a carrycot, then it could also be used in the house in place of a bassinet.

The Combi Coccoro might work nicely for you. It is a fairly compact convertible seat, which would be good for a coup, and seems to work very well for newborns. I have a Maxi Cosi Priori, and I believe it would work for a newborn, but it doesn't have any sort of newborn padding. For the record, I also have Britax's new infant seat (the Chaperone) and my 3 year old daughter still fits in it! It can be used up to 30 pounds, and it sounds like you are planning on having another kiddo that could use it, so you might consider it. The problem you might run into with the convertible seats is that a newborn requires the seat to be fairly reclined, so the convertible seats that are generally recommended on this site may be too big to fit rearfacing in a coup/small car. It's not a problem when the kiddo gets older, because the car seat can then be installed more upright, so it will fit into a tighter space.

Wiggles

Speaking not as a parent, but as a former nanny who has had to put up with other people's stroller purchases, my recommendation? Take something that weighs 20 lbs with you and go to the store. Something that will fit in your average stroller. Place it in the stroller seat where the child would go. Now push that stroller all over the bloody store. Move it in circles. Play with it. Make sure you can maneuver it comfortably, that it's at a comfortable height (or adjustable to a comfortable height) for all people likely to use it. Make sure it's not too heavy for you OR your wife to push long distance.

Just testing an empty stroller doesn't tell you anything about how it manoeuvres in use. I've had to deal with people buying strollers that "look awesome" or "have a cool brand name" but are functionally useless once you have a child in there. I used to end up taking one child in a backpack on my back and carrying the other in my arms with one family I was with because their stroller was so totally useless.

SavsMom

Like the other members have said - the Boulevard more than likely will not fit a newborn well at all. Even with the infant insert the top slots are high. My daughter started using hers at around 5-6 months when she finally fit in it properly. I dont' see why it wouldn't fit in a Honda Civic. I have had mine installed in everything from an Expedition to a Focus and Jeep Wrangler - and it worked.

In regards to strollers - take a look at the Baby Jogger City Mini (I have a Baby Jogger City Micro and love it, but if I were to be looking for a stroller to use from birth I would go with the Mini). It has a flat recline, wonderful fold, pushes and turns like a dream, and has tons of accessories (child snack tray and cupholder) - it would really be the only stroller you would need.

AmandaR

We are using a True Fit Premier for our newborn (also a boy, congrats on your little boy btw!!!). We also have one for our 12 month old daughter. We replaced a Britax Boulevard with the TFP. The TFP is a far better seat in my opinion.
For strollers, I'm pretty pro Maclaren. We've had two and I love them! We have the Triumph for our older daughter and then we bought the Maclaren Twin Techno for our double. It's such a great stroller, and fairly lightweight and compact for a double. The Techno comes in a single version which several of my friends have used with their newborns and loved, so I would definitely reccomend the Maclaren line of strollers!

Good luck!!

sholoulou

I like the Baby Jogger Mini Series Strollers. It has awesome features, easy to fold with one hand, lightweight, can fit into small spaces. I also had the Double Baby Jogger City Series I bought for Disney World and it was great. I could push it with one finger if I wanted to. I am a stroller freak and Baby Jogger is my fav. I liked it better than my bugaboo for sure! When my babies were newborn I bought the frame stoller that you just transfer the carseat on. It has a basket underneath and cup holders so you are not losing the convenience of a full size stroller. Even if you use it for only 5 months it is SO worth the purchase! I am NOT a fan for stroller systems... at all! Why would you take out a big ol stroller for a baby and then fit a carseat on it? Of course, I went everywhere with my babies.. I am a sahm so where I went they went :) I had to have something I would "enjoy" unloading and loading many times a day. I would not recommend a Bugaboo, Valco or Mountain Buggy as they take up alot of space or they are heavy. Oh, I also had a Peg Perego Martinelli "traditional" stroller that I liked. It had some great features but I would stick with Baby Jogger anyday! I just never got into the Maclaren, Graco, Baby Trend..

As for carseats I like the infant carrier for my newborns. It allowed me to tote them anywhere. I used the infant carseat/carrier until about 6 months then went to a convertible Marathon. I also had a sling, a baby bjorn and a moby wrap (oh and nojo thing I did not like at all and never used). I used the sling a moby SO much but still found there were times when the infant carseat/carrier was nice to have.

Just my opinion... congrats on the new baby to be!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC