Looking for a convertible seat in Canada

U

Unregistered

My twins are now 8 months and nearing the maximum weight for their Graco Snugrides. I have been researching convertible carseats and just can't seem to make a decision. I am limited by two things:

1) I'm in Canada, where there is MUCH less choice in what carseats are available.

2) We have $250 in Sears gift cards that are about to expire that we want to spend on the seats (we will top up the cards as we will not be able to get 2 seats for that amount)

I know that most on this site feel that the Britax seats are the best, but Sears in Canada does not carry this brand. Basically, my choices are: Graco ComfortSport, Evenflo Titan, Safety 1st Enspira, Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1, Safety 1st Intera, Cosco Alpha Omega, Evenflo Triumph

I had all but decided to buy the Triumph after hearing about its good safety ratings, but have since read some negative reviews of it on this site and others. Our children are not likely to be tall as my husband and I are both quite short, so I'm sure we'll get longer use out of it that some have experienced. However, I am concerned about the width of the seat as we have a Toyota Corolla and space is limited, especially when we go on car trips.

The Enspira appeals to me but I haven't been able to find much information on it. I'm not sure it is the same as the one available in the U.S. - in the picture it looks quite different:

http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000...648?ie=UTF8&searsBrand=core&mqnodeid=16342041

Any suggestions? My main concern is safety. I am not as concerned about them outgrowing the seats too early as I am willing to buy new seats when that time comes.

Thanks,
MJ

ADS

smurf

I'd favor the Safety 1st Intera over the Enspira because the top harness slots are a bit higher and you'll get more use out of it. It comes with a huge (removable) base but once you remove it the seat is among the narrowest on the market, at around 16". So it's a good choice if space is scarce.

I'm not too impressed with Sears' choice of seats either...
HTH!

scatterbunny

There's no way to know what seats are "safer" than others because all are tested by the governent and given a pass/fail grade. The ones that pass make it to store shelves, the ones that don't, don't. Some have ease-of-use features that make them easier to use (the Triumph is not easy to use, in my opinion, but others seem to love it) and some are easier to install and some last much longer than others.

Even though your babes are short, are they particularly long in the torso? That's what matters most when it comes to outgrowing carseats.

My favorite convertible choice of the ones you listed is the Safety 1st Intera without the base. It's the narrowest choice so will allow the most backseat room. It also has the tallest top slots of all the convertibles, so it has the highest chance of making it to 40 pounds in the harness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC