Question Radian xtsl or blvd?

ALL4BALANCE

I am new to this so please forgive any repeat of questions, I have tried to search thorough the questions but I still have more. I have a 9 month old who is 28" and 21lbs and we are ready to move him into a convertible car seat (he is our only child). After spending weeks reading reviews and comments about all the different ones we have narrowed the choice down to the radian xtsl or a blvd. We have a 97 toyota rav4 and a 04 kia spectra that the seat must go in, which means one can only use a seatbelt (rav4) and the other we can use a latch system (spectra). I wish there was a store in my town that carried a radian so I could see how it fits. I am planning to go to babiesrus to see how the blvd fits. But lets say they both fit are there any opinions as to which is better. Is one more cushiony, easier to wash, better wear and tear, how easy it is to adjust the harness, installation RF, experience with these types of seats in these types of vehicles, etc. If my memory serves me right I don't think either one has multiple crotch belt positions which is my only concern since I want to use this seat until my son has out grown it in height or weight. I appreciate any advice on either seat and I am not opposed to other seats it just seemed these 2 fit all our needs and wants.

Oh and one more question. Since I have to use the seatbelt in my rav4 does the car seat have to be on the side or the middle and does this make a difference with installation.

Once I decide on a seat and purchase it I plan to have a CPS technician help me install it.

Thanks again for all your help. This is an amazing website full of knowledge.

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I'm not sure about the fit in your cars, but if I were choosing between a Radian XTSL or a Boulevard, I'd pick the Radian XTSL for sure, provided I could get a proper installation. The Radian will last longer (rear-facing weight limit of 45 pounds, the Boulevard is 35 pounds, and the Radian should last longer forward-facing as well). I have a Boulevard, and I love it, but when my son outgrows it rear-facing by weight, I would like to replace it with the Radian XTSL so that he can continue to rear-face.

My only concern is that I'm not sure exactly when the XTSL is being released; what infant seat do you have right now? Does it have a 22 pound weight limit?

ALL4BALANCE

Thanks for the response. I called sunshine kids and they said they already have the radian xtsl in the elcipse and nitro and are shipping those out. I failed to ask if I order from another website (babycatalog) if I can get it right away, so I am going to call on Monday. He is in a snugride now and it has a 22 lb weight limit so we are needing to order something asap. We did go by babiesrus today and the blvd and complete air fit perfect in my rav4 so I think the radian would too. Any thoughts on the crotch buckle being too restrictive before my son reaches the weight limit on the radian?

romanoma

The radian actually has 3 crotch buckle positions, so you should be good from that standpoint.

I love love my radian XT, my only caution is it can be a tricky install and since you have to order without trying, it might be good to order from a place that will let you return if you need to. Hip monkey has $5 return shipping insurance, and they have 2 coupons to use currently. I don't think they are shipping quite as soon though, but you could call.

Are you planning on getting a second or back up seat at all? If so, you could get your back up seat first and wait on your XTSL to come, with the insurance so you could return it if it doesn't work out.

But the XTSL would be by far the seat I would recommend if it fits in your cars!!!

ALL4BALANCE

Thanks for the tip about hip monkey but I could not find the 2nd discount unless you were referring to the free shipping?

Ok here is my dilema - I can order from the company and they will only give me 10% off (making the radian xtsl $270) but it will ship out today OR I preorder from babycatalog and get it for $223.74 but have to wait til mid or end of October. My little one is right at the limit for his snug ride and so I don't know if the money saving is worth it- is it really that much of a safety issue if I keep using the snug ride til the end of Oct knowing he is 21lbs and 28" as of now?

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
The weight for the Snugride is absolute; I personally would not take the chance for my child to go over the weight limit of an infant seat. Also, in general, the members of this site will tell you that the 22 pound weight limit of the Snugride is fully clothed. So, for instance, if your son weighed in at 21 pounds undressed at the doctor's office, then I would be concerned that the 22 pound clothed limit of the Snugride could be hit very soon.

As for height, while the official height limit is 29", height is seen as a guideline. What is important is that there is at least 1 inch of shell above the child's head. So, a child could outgrow a 29" limit infant seat by height before or after 29 inches tall, depending on torso and head height.

I think I covered the weight and height limit basics for infant seats, but I'm sure someone will be along with more info.

LP Mom

Thanks for the tip about hip monkey but I could not find the 2nd discount unless you were referring to the free shipping?

Ok here is my dilema - I can order from the company and they will only give me 10% off (making the radian xtsl $270) but it will ship out today OR I preorder from babycatalog and get it for $223.74 but have to wait til mid or end of October. My little one is right at the limit for his snug ride and so I don't know if the money saving is worth it- is it really that much of a safety issue if I keep using the snug ride til the end of Oct knowing he is 21lbs and 28" as of now?
15OFF and 10OFF

ALL4BALANCE

OK another question but more along the lines of the comfort. Does the radian have good cushion or is the blvd better? Any reports from kids as to which one is more comfy?

Thanks again for helping me with all these questions, I just want to make sure I check it all out before buying.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My kids prefer the Radian in terms of leg room and bottom cushioning (more comfort foam under the rear), and the Boulevard in terms of softness of cover (though that's bigger for one kid than the other.)

I have not found the Radian to be a great fit in my almost-step-mother's RAV4, it is a very small back seat front to back and the seatbelt install is difficult, though it is a later model year than yours-- if you have a lap-only belt in the middle that might make things easier.

aisraeltax

i cant add to anything others have said, other than to say that i just sold my son's BV to buy an XT...so i guess that speaks to my vote. :)

i would advise you to check out hte successful Radian install thread IRT to your cars.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC