? about my seat choices for our kids

U

Unregistered

I have a 3 year old 30 lbs son in a Britax parkway booster, someone we know had a 5 year old in the same seat and had a wreck he was ejected. So now I am worried that I got the wronge seat for him. My soon 2 year old 29 lbs is in an Evenflo Triumph 5, we have a new baby on the way. I would like to switch all carseats over to Britax but not sure what is best to buy. I noticed somewhere said latch systems are only good for 40 lbs so would the Regent be a waste of money? Also which seat to buy for my 2 year old and which one for the baby? We have an 2005 Chrysler Town and Country van too if that matters.

Thanks!

ADS

ajweeks

I don't know the details of the 5 year old being ejected, but the Parkway is a very safe booster for older kids (at least 4 years old and at least 40 lbs.). With that being said, it isn't the right car seat for a 30 lb. 3 year old. You should put your son back in a 5 pt. harness seat asap!

Do you already have have an infant seat for the new baby on the way? What is your budget?

There are many options out there, Britax just being one of them, and since you have multiple seats to buy, I'm sure budget is a concern.

skipspin

I would definately consider a different seat for your son. The Parkway is a great booster, but your son should still be harnessed because of his age AND weight. Because of his size, the chance that the the belt fits him the right way isn't great. Even if it does the likelyhood that he sits in in the right way all the time is even less just because he's a three year old. (I have a three year old, so I'm not saying that as a bad thing, just a fact.)

Any harnessed seat will be safer for him than a booster, so you don't HAVE to get a Britax for him to be safe, although they are great seats. As far as the Regent, you just use the seatbelt to install it after 40 lb (or before if you want) so it's a great seat to harness for a long time.

If you are tight on money or time right now I would put the priority on getting your 3 yr old in a harnessed seat and making sure all your seats are installed correctly and that they fit your kids.

If you can afford/want new seats then there are a lot of options out there. If you got two Britax convertible seats for your older two, then you could pass the older one's down to the baby when the baby outgrows an infant seat. At that time you can decide what the best "next" seat for your oldest is. But, like I said there are a lot of options out there.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Your three year old should not be in the Parkway at all. A Regent is a wonderful choice, very comfortable and can harness for a long long time (five points are better than three, plus he'll simply fit better in it).

Unless you have a Honda the LATCH limits are higher than 40 pounds. Most are 48, Subaru is 60. And just because there are LATCH limits doesn't mean you can't use a carseat beyond them. Just use the seatbelt. :)

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC