ts for triplets

U

Unregistered

Hello all,

I am a proud mother of 9 month old triplets.

The safety of my triplets is of capital importance to me …I am however restrained by my financial means. I would love t buy three Radian or Britax car seats but unfortunately this is not within our means (3 X 300$ is a little to steep for us).

I want a seat that can keep my babies facing rear for the longest amount of time possible. I also would like to keep them in a harnest for the longest amount of time as well. We do have a Caravan so space is not so much an issue. I am not interested in the Alpha Omega car seats for various reasons.

Do you have any car seat to recommend us? My triplets weigh 19-20 and 21 pounds and our present car seat goes to 22. I have been procrastinating way too long!

ADS

amyd

First of all, welcome:) I hope we can be helpful to you.

I'm going to assume that you're in Canada in my answer. I'd recommend taking a look at the First Years True Fit. We have one & are very happy with it. It rearfaces to 35 lbs & forward faces to 65 (although most children outgrow it by height before they are 65lbs). The regular price is $200, but they frequently go on sale at Zellers for $150. Another seat to look at would be the Evenflo Triumph Advance, which RFs to 30 & forward to 50. They are sold at Walmart, Sears, Toys R Us, etc and depending on the model you choose, run about $120-$170, I believe. Unfortunately the Evenflo has a rather low RFing weight limit. 35 lbs is definitely preferable.

JerseyGirl'sMama

The True Fit is a great option, but be careful and try to install one (in each different position if you can) before you buy all three. The original (which is cheaper) has a harness adjuster that is really difficult to access in most vehicles rear-facing because it sits so low on the seat, near the vehicle seat bight. The newer True Fit Premiere has an ARB (anti-rebound bar) that makes it much easier to access. It is more expensive though (around $200) but might be worth it to you. :)

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Another thought is to ask a local retailer that sells Radian for a multiple discount if you were to buy 3. I am thinking that the current Radian models should start to go to 'clear out' prices (change in components in new 2010 models) and with the multiple discount, it might be worth it.

However, the TF is a good choice and you can see it on sale often enough at Zellers for $150ish/ea.

Where are you located btw?

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The True Fit is a great option, but be careful and try to install one (in each different position if you can) before you buy all three. The original (which is cheaper) has a harness adjuster that is really difficult to access in most vehicles rear-facing because it sits so low on the seat, near the vehicle seat bight. The newer True Fit Premiere has an ARB (anti-rebound bar) that makes it much easier to access. It is more expensive though (around $200) but might be worth it to you. :)

I believe Canada still only has ONE version TF. No Premier or ARB (yet)

amyd

Yep, there's no True Fit Premier in Canada yet. Yes, the harness adjuster can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but not a deal-breaker, IME. There's ways to get around it & with the seat having a continuous loop harness, it's not necessary to loosen & tighten the harness every time you remove the child or put them in the seat.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for all your responses.

I have a caravan with captain chairs in the centre and a bench in the back.

I am Canadian and located in Ottawa (to be more precise). I did think of asking for a multiple discount. I was turned away by one store and the other offered me 5% (which does not make 300$ seats anymore accessible for us). I even looked into stores in Montreal – I found one store that offered us the Radian at 270 each…still a bit steep.

The True Fit seems like a good seat for us. I love that it rear faces up to 35 and goes up to 65. This is good since I have a little girl that has consistently remained in the 90th percentile. I know we can’t predict these things but does anyone know whether Zellers is due for another sale…or did we just miss one?

Also, I looked up the Evenflo Triumph Advance and on the website it indicates that it can rear face up to 35. Perhaps, I’m looking at a model that is sold in the USA only?

http://www.evenflo.com/product.aspx?id=148&pfid=191

featherhead

I don't think Evenflo has a Canadian site, so yes, you were reading a description for a US Seat. The Canadian Triumph Advances are 30 lbs rear-facing and 47 lbs forward facing.

A.B.

They were JUST on at Zellers but if you have or get and HBC card and pay for them with that you can price adjust up to 90 days later so you could get your money back when they come on in 8-12 weeks as they usually do. And if you are getting a new card you would get 10% off that day for signing up for a card... haha i sound like a zellers rep or something!

U

Unregistered

Me again ( I do plan on becoming a registered member).

I had a flash over the weekend. Because of the way the latches have been installed in our Caravan, we would have to install two seats on both captain seats in the centre and another in the back. I envisioning myself trying to squeeze through the captain chairs to get out the rear facing baby in the back and it seems like quite the ordeal. It would be easier if the babies were facing front but I am not willing to compromise the rear facing.

So I started thinking about other options and I though of the safeseats or the snugride32s. It is very easy to remove infant seats since there are two in the back bench and one of a captain seat. I wonder if it would be a good option to replace my current infant seats with other infant seats that have a higher rear facing weight capacity. I figure by the time they reach 32 pounds, I could turn them front facing and it will be much easier to remove them from the seats.

What do you guys think?

ontariomama

Another thought is to install two of your seats in the back row (using seatbelt), put down one of the captain's chairs (do you have stow'n'go??) and put the other seat in the other captain's chair. This way it is easy for you to get in and put the kids in their seats. :twocents:

featherhead

Me again ( I do plan on becoming a registered member).

I had a flash over the weekend. Because of the way the latches have been installed in our Caravan, we would have to install two seats on both captain seats in the centre and another in the back. I envisioning myself trying to squeeze through the captain chairs to get out the rear facing baby in the back and it seems like quite the ordeal. It would be easier if the babies were facing front but I am not willing to compromise the rear facing.

So I started thinking about other options and I though of the safeseats or the snugride32s. It is very easy to remove infant seats since there are two in the back bench and one of a captain seat. I wonder if it would be a good option to replace my current infant seats with other infant seats that have a higher rear facing weight capacity. I figure by the time they reach 32 pounds, I could turn them front facing and it will be much easier to remove them from the seats.

What do you guys think?

By latches are you talking about the lower anchors, or the top tethers? Because with your children rear-facing you don't need either. You can easily install a seat rear-facing with the seatbelt. Once you turn them forward-facing you will need to use the top tethers. So for now with them rear-facing I would put 2 kiddos in the back, both outboard, and then one of them in a captains chair with the other captains chair stowed or removed, however it works in your van.

I don't think I would get the Safeseat/Snugride32. You could get convertible seats for close to the same price, that will last you a few years longer. Have you tried out the True Fit yet? It will last you a good long time.

keri1292

I have three kiddos as well and kept two in the back and one capt's chair folded so I had a nice place to sit while I buckled up my crew. It's also nice to have that extra seat for an extra adult passenger, like grandparents! :)

Mommy2Marcus

Has the Graco My Ride 65 made it to Canada yet? If it has that would be a great option for her. It should be less expensive than the TrueFits or Radians & it has a 40lb RF weight limit. Just another thought.

If not then I would go for the TrueFits.

amyd

Has the Graco My Ride 65 made it to Canada yet? If it has that would be a great option for her. It should be less expensive than the TrueFits or Radians & it has a 40lb RF weight limit. Just another thought.

If not then I would go for the TrueFits.

No, it's not here yet. OP, I also would not consider higher-weight buckets.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC