Am I crazy for wanting to have my toddler rear face again?

LP Mom

I am so excited about the new Radian XT SL I ordered for my almost 3 year old toddler (he will be 3 in early Dec.) All of my friends and my family give me weird looks when I tell them that he will be rear facing again soon. :confused: The only one who is totally on board with it is my hubby. :love: It is not that unusual for a 3 year old to be rear facing, right? I mean, I don't see what the big deal is if he will be safer rear facing and if he does not mind it. They seem to think I've totally lost it!

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
If you're crazy, i'm even crazier...I'm *struggling* right now not to order one..for my FIVE year old. LOL.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I don't think you are crazy at all. I plan on buying the same seat for my 2 year old when he outgrows his current seats rear-facing (which I think will happen somewhere between 2.5 and 3).

kittykate

It is not that unusual for a 3 year old to be rear facing, right? I mean, I don't see what the big deal is if he will be safer rear facing and if he does not mind it. They seem to think I've totally lost it!

Honestly, at least where I live it is really weird for a 3 year old to be rear facing. It shouldn't be, but it is.

My oldest rear faced until two weeks ago and honestly I can't remember a day that we went out that someone didn't make some kind of comment, usually a negative one. I still get the odd comment about DS2 being rear facing and he's not even 2 yet and is tiny for his age.

Just take it all in stride... you know that you are doing the best you can for your child and what others think doesn't really matter.

(And maybe, as more and more people learn about the benefits of ERF and newer seats allow more kids to rear face longer, rear facing until age 3 and beyond will become the norm... and you will be one of the pioneers that helped normalize it :))

LP Mom

I'm so glad I discovered this board. I'm in good company here! :love: Thanks for letting me know I am not totally abnormal!

P.S. My 8 month old won't have any FFing time at all until he hits 45 pounds! :D

twinsmom

Nope, not crazy at all! I turned mine back RF when they were over 3. They love it and haven't complained once. DH has been very supportive about it. Most of my friends are interested and supportive (of course, I don't know what they say behind my back:p). Seriously though, some people (even here) think buying a new seat to RF a 3 year old is overkill. But if you're willing to do it (financially, logistically, etc.) it really is the safest way for your child to ride. And personally, I don't think it's overkill. Good for you!:)

Shaunam

If you're crazy, i'm even crazier...I'm *struggling* right now not to order one..for my FIVE year old. LOL.

No doubt, I'd LOVE to have one for DS and he'll be 5 in january. He likes riding rf'ing and he just dropped back down to 38 lbs, which makes it even easier for me to justify....I REALLY want one. :eek:

NannyMom

My daughter just turned 3 and has never ridden FF. She will not until she's at least 4. Wanting to ReRF a 3 year old isn't crazy. Good for you :thumbsup:

MANDY1234

I am so excited about the new Radian XT SL I ordered for my almost 3 year old toddler (he will be 3 in early Dec.) All of my friends and my family give me weird looks when I tell them that he will be rear facing again soon. :confused: The only one who is totally on board with it is my hubby. :love: It is not that unusual for a 3 year old to be rear facing, right? I mean, I don't see what the big deal is if he will be safer rear facing and if he does not mind it. They seem to think I've totally lost it!

I'm needing to be sent to the loony bin then lol My 4.5 yr old BEGS me daily to get her one of those seats that RF big girls like her (she is 46 lbs which would mean importing) I have seriously been thinking about it :) If she keeps it up past christmas I'll do it...

jsmom

I dont think you are crazy. My DD turned 3 last week and as soon as I can get rid of her Frontier, I plan on purchasing one of the new Radians. I get weird looks from everyone but DH... I always have, for RFing after 1 and for spending as much as I do on seats. I wish I had the money to swing a Radian right now but I just dont.

momto2princes

You are not crazy at all!
I am in Canada and will have to wait a bit for the 45lbs. Depending on when they get here I will be facing the dilemma of getting one for my youngest DS.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I don't think it's crazy at all! DS1 is almost 5 and RF in a Radian. He's about 37lbs and I will probably buy the new XTSL when he hits 40 to get that five more pounds. Granted, he'll have 2 (maybe more) younger siblings to pass the seat onto, I wouldn't do it at his age if he were the youngest.

seamonkeys

I'm actually contemplating the same thing! DS2 is about 31 lbs and will be 3 in Dec too. I keep trying to convince him it would be fun to RF again. Even thought about showing him the MyRide to entice him with the cupholders! :whistle:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes. You are completely nutso.

:ROTFLMAO:

Just kidding :love:

All the way back in 2002 is when I bought my Marathon to keep dd1 RF to age 4.5 and 33 pounds. I'm still not sure about getting a heavier RF seat to put Leah RF again, but she did stay that way till she was 3 and 34ish pounds. Ok, dang, has it been that long since I RF'd my older kid that long? Why in the heck has the whole world not gotten on board yet? Seriously, I'm sick of selling MR's and CA's to people with babies fresh out of the infant seats and they go FF before a year :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC