1995 honda civic and 2 car seats

E

ephik

1995 honda civic and 2 car seats

I have a 1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe (2-door). I purchased a Cosco Alpha Omega a few years ago and have been using it forward facing with my 25 month old. I recently purchased an Evenflo Express forward facing with 5 point restraint system for my 25 month old. I have a 5 1/2 month old and now use the Alpha Omega in a rear facing position. This one seems to be installed tightly and properly. My problem is that the evenflo expres takes hours to install and I still feel the installation is inadequate. The seat belt use the ELR system so a belt clip is pretty much mandatory. In the past I used the clip to get the belt as tight as possible then used a belt tensioner (which is tough to use due to lack of space) on the other side. This is real cumbersome process and I feel I am doing something wrong. Is it time for a new car or is there something I can do for an adquate installation? I have contacted multiple Honda dealerships and they said they have never had people come in concerned about it (which is quite concerning). They told me just to stick it in there with a belt clip and if there is an accident the ELR system will hold the seat. There is no retrofit to change to an ALR system and no tether kits available for that year. Everywhere I read the seat should not move more than an inch at the belt site. To get this to occur it takes superhuman strength and the belt tensioners and many hours. Thanks,

ADS
C

CPSDarren

Re: 1995 honda civic and 2 car seats

Hello,

First, perhaps the best thing to do is to visit a certified child passenger safety technician in person for a free checkup. Unfortunately, auto dealers often do not have one on their staff. To find one, please visit Seatcheck.Net at the "Free Carseat Inspection" link under the top banner. Usually, you will be able to find one at a local hospital, public health, police or fire department. An expert may well be able to give you some tips on how to get a good installation.

Locking clips can be cumbersome to install. The dealer is correct that the ELR belt will lock and hold tightly in a crash. The locking clip is only to keep the seat tight before the crash, and the clip itself will not withstand crash forces. The locking system in the ELR will hold the carseat tightly under crash forces. For more information on seatbelt systems and using a locking clip, please visit:

www.geocities.com/carseat...gclips.htm

Finally, I do show that a top-tether anchor kit is available for your vehicle. The part number is the same for the 2 door coupe or hatchback: 82410SE3C01. It's $10-$15 at a dealer, though usually under $10 online. For the coupe, you should be able to find 3 threaded weld nuts under the rear parcel shelf behind the back seat. You would have to cut away the fabric to see them from inside the car, but you might be able to see the locations from inside the trunk. It shouldn't be too difficult to install yourself if you can find the threaded nuts. A Honda dealer should also have this information, and it might even be hidden in your owner's manual somewhere. You might try another dealer if yours has no experience with tether anchors.

I hope that helps you a bit, please stop back again if you have more questions!

Darren

E

ephik

Thanks

Darren,

Just wanted to say thanks for your help. I had an appointment with the CHP to verify my install was correct. It was!! Thanks for locating the tether part for me. That will be my next project.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC