EvenFlo Portabout in Xterra

M

Magster

When I installed my EvenFlo Portabout in my '00 Nissan Xterra; it fits in the middle very well and doesn't move an inch....but only if the seat belt locks under the car seat in the base, instead of on the side of the base. Is this OK? I can place the car seat in the base and lock it no problem and I've even shaken it very firmly from side to side and the seat belt did not unlock.

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What kind of seat belt is it (a lap-only belt or lap/shoulder belt)? If it's a lap/shoulder belt, are you using a locking clip to lock the belt?

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I can't answer your fit question, but there is another factor you should consider. You must put the handle down on most infant seats (including those made by Evenflo) when using them in the car. To put the handle down on the Portabout, you must push down on it from above. The Xterra is a rather tall vehicle, and you may have difficulty getting the angle correct so you can put the handle down. If that is the case, you should look into exchanging the Portabout for another seat.

The Graco SnugRide is generally well liked and gets good reviews from techs. The handle must be put down on that seat while the vehicle is in motion as well. However, the mechanism for lowering it is different and may be easier to work while standing on the ground next to such a tall vehicle.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Also, if there is an armrest that folds down in that center spot, Evenflo forbids rearvfacing carseat installation in front of it. If there's not, never mind...but it never hurts to mention it.

M

Magster

murphydog77 said:
What kind of seat belt is it (a lap-only belt or lap/shoulder belt)? If it's a lap/shoulder belt, are you using a locking clip to lock the belt?

It is just a lap belt for the center seat and I've used a locking clip to lock the belt.

M

Magster

UlrikeDG said:
I can't answer your fit question, but there is another factor you should consider. You must put the handle down on most infant seats (including those made by Evenflo) when using them in the car. To put the handle down on the Portabout, you must push down on it from above. The Xterra is a rather tall vehicle, and you may have difficulty getting the angle correct so you can put the handle down. If that is the case, you should look into exchanging the Portabout for another seat.

The Graco SnugRide is generally well liked and gets good reviews from techs. The handle must be put down on that seat while the vehicle is in motion as well. However, the mechanism for lowering it is different and may be easier to work while standing on the ground next to such a tall vehicle.
[/QUOTE

There are no problems putting down the handle on the Portabout....height is not a concern.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC