Darren-how's the wizard?

U

Unregistered

Hi Darren-I was wondering if you saw the wizard at the jpma show. It looks great on the web. I have a DD who will be 3 this summer. She fits fine in her FPSE still as she is 38 inches tall and almost 30 lbs. We are going from a sedan and a pickup to a sedan and a minivan in about 2 weeks. I have 2 FPSE and I would like to leave one RF in each vehicle for my 11 month old. I have a Century Next Step to leave in the sedan. The seat is OK, but not my favorite compared to the FP. I would like to get one more seat for the minivan rather than switching the Century back and forth. I have been in contact with Toby McAdams, (whose opinion I trust since she is the one who really swayed me towards the FPSE 2.5 years ago and I love the seat) and asked her opinion on the Britax MA vs. the Graco Platium CarGo for my almost 3 year old. Her opinion was to go with the Graco because an older child may be happier in a booster rather than the MA. She pointed out that the Graco has deep side wings and likely provides good side-impact protection, although she did say that this is not yet well understood. I was swaying towards the Graco-but then I saw the Wizard, and wondered if that was a bit more booster like than the Marathon, which really looks like a traditional convertible. I know it will be a while til the Wizard is in stores, but I am willing to wait. Sorry for being so verbose! THanks in advance.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I don't know yet...

I did not make JPMA, as we planned a family vacation for last weekend. The preliminary information on the Wizard looks great. I will certainly post comments as soon as I have evaluated one in person!

I currently use a Fisher Price Futura and a Britax Husky for our 4.5 year old 43lb. son. The Futura is discontinued, but I have some more information on the Husky here: http://www.car-safety.org/husky.html . I know many parents that really like their CarGo, so that's a good option too. The side impact protection is an important issue, with little crash testing to show which products do well in this regard. Harnessed seats should certainly have an advantage over boosters, in general. Britax had an interesting presentation on side impacts at the Lifesavers conference, and mentioned it would be a focus for future products. Their new products seem to bear this out:)

Sorry I couldn't help more!

U

Unregistered

I don't want a husky for a few reasons-size being one. I tend to move my seats a fair amount. So I like to have seats that are easy to install like my FPSEs. Also the fact that the cover isn't machine washable really turned me against the seat. I wash my car seat covers about once every 1-2 months.

Do you have any idea when the Wizard will be released? I called Britax and they said they have no information. I really can't wait to see it. I am hoping it is a bit wider in the seat and shoulder areas than the Marathon. The Marathon although taller than the Roundabout seems to have issues like the placement of the crotch strap. I wonder if it can really sustain a taller, older child. From the pictures the Wizard certainly seems more harness booster like than convertible-does that make sense? Has anyone seen a prototype of this seat that you are aware of? Thanks!

U

Unregistered

sorry!

didn't mean to ask a question you had answered recently. I am just too excited about the wizard-LOL! I think I can convince my almost 3 year old she'll like it. We ordered a 2004 Sienna a few weeks ago, and in the brochure Toyota wanted to demonstrate that the middle seat of their 8 passenger van is a full sized seat. So they have a little girl who is about 3 sitting in a Marathon with the paw print fabric, and my DD said-I want this new car seat with our van. She is a tough one to convince-she has said no to everything I have put her in. Yes I know I am the boss-but we must pick our battles-I will let her pick out the seat that makes her happy as long as it has a 5 pt harness!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
No worries-

Any questions are fair game here, I'm always happy to post links to other threads, it's easier than copying and pasting it all again:)

The added height and side impact protection do look very appealing for the Wizard. If you do buy one, please come back and report on it!

U

Unregistered

Thanks!

I sat my oldest DD in a friend's RF marathon and she said she liked it. You know that is half the battle. Assuming the Wizard comes out soon I will be getting it. I will post as soon as I get it. I have not been able to justify buying a Britax seat to DH yet because all the data seems to indicate that when used correctly all seats providfe essentially the same protection (which actually I do hope is true because some people can barely afford the $50 Century STE 1000!). But with this added side-impact protection DH is sold too! Yippee! Perhaps I will get 2! That will require a bit more saving time though!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC