Would you import?

mcomommy

My son is already 31in and 31 pounds at 11.5 months. We plan on buying a seat to rear face him to 40lbs as right now our highest rear facing seat goes to 35lbs. But if we are going to spend the money we were talking about just getting a Swedish seat as even in a 40lb seat I don't think he will make 3 which is our minimum goal for each of our kids. I looked up the laws in California were we are moving in a few months and I can't find anything that says you have to use a US certified seat, just that you need to use one till 6 or 60lbs. So what do you think, would you do it? And if so which seat? I have heard it is between $400-$500 to do it, is that correct?

TIA :)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I wouldn't. I'd get a 40 pound seat with a tall shell and be thrilled with as much time as I could get out of it. Babies often slow down their growing, so I'd wait until closer to three to see what his actual weight is before you jump the gun and pay double for a possibly illegal seat now.

Wendy

Midwife@heart

Yes I would. I haven't yet because I don't have a car. My son rf up to 31 months and I would love to get a Multi Tech to keep him rf longer.

mcomommy

See the only reason I would do it now instead of later is that I don't want to buy two seats. I did not think it was illegal since CA law did not specify. Just expensive. If we don't, we are going to get one of the Radians.

firemomof3

See the only reason I would do it now instead of later is that I don't want to buy two seats. I did not think it was illegal since CA law did not specify. Just expensive.

Its not illegal to import a swedish seat but it is illegal to use it...makes sense doesn't it?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
California law: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=27001-28000&file=27360-27368

VEHICLE CODE SECTION 27360-27368

27360. (a) A parent or legal guardian, when present in a motor
vehicle, as defined in Section 27315, may not permit his or her child
or ward to be transported upon a highway in the motor vehicle
without properly securing the child or ward in a rear seat in a child
passenger restraint system meeting applicable federal motor vehicle
safety standards
, unless the child or ward is one of the following:

A Swedish seat does not meet federal standards. It is not legal to use.

Mama Jo

My personal decision is that my DS will rf to the bare minimum of age 3. Even if it means importing an illegal seat. I don't think I'll have to though, as he's higher in the height chart than the weight chart and the RN should hold him. My preference is that he rf to age 4, but if he outgrows an American seat after 3, I won't import to rf beyond then. But as long as he fits in whichever rf seat we end up with, I won't turn him for convenience before the age of 4.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, in CA it is not legal to transport a child under 6 or 60 lbs. without a CRS meeting federal standards. (Over 6 or 60 it's debatable, but the point would be moot at that point, for you.)

In reality most cops don't know what they're doing and if they see the kid buckled into a car seat they won't give you a ticket. Unless you get "lucky" and get one of the overzealous ones who give tickets for kids over 40 lbs. in HWH seats, etc. :rolleyes: There are only a few techs in law enforcement in CA and the odds of you getting stopped by one of them is pretty low.

I'm not advocating doing it. In fact my personal comfort zone is 2; if a child would make it to 2 RF in an American seat I would not import a seat for him. But of course, it's your decision ultimately, and you should be aware that you are breaking the law if you do so, and of the possible consequences. (The possible consequences being, most probably, a ticket, having to get someone to bring a legal seat from the store or home before you get to leave, and having your seat confiscated.)

mcomommy

See those are my thoughts, but I don't know that I want to break the law. Both my girls gained over 10lbs between 1 year & 2 years, no big deal for them. That would put him turning at two or shortly before though. :(

Mama Jo

(The possible consequences being, most probably, a ticket, having to get someone to bring a legal seat from the store or home before you get to leave, and having your seat confiscated.)

You also risk the consequence of insurance not covering medical expenses in the event of a serious collision due to the child being "improperly" restrained.

However, in my mind, I'd rather have a living child and a huge debt, than be planning a funeral and get insurance money for it. :twocents:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd go with one of the US 40lb RF seats and see how long it lasts. You never know what might be available here down the road.
I completely agree. :)

You also risk the consequence of insurance not covering medical expenses in the event of a serious collision due to the child being "improperly" restrained.

However, in my mind, I'd rather have a living child and a huge debt, than be planning a funeral and get insurance money for it. :twocents:

That's a possible but extremely unlikely consequence. For one thing, insurance covers the injuries of children who were in improperly used seats, or who should have been in seats but weren't, all the time. It's very unlikely they'd refuse coverage based on use of an illegal seat.

Second, it's more likely that a RF child would have no or very minor injuries, as opposed to a very young child FF having possibly very severe injuries.

So it's possible but very unlikely. :)

More likely is that the seat would not be replaced by insurance after a crash.

There's also a remote possibility that if a child was injured while using an illegal seat you'd be in trouble for that, but the way the CA law is worded I doubt it.

So again, these are possible consequences but not likely. The most likely of the unlikely consequences for breaking the law is having it confiscated and getting a fine (and possibly having to sit through a very basic car safety class geared at people who don't use car seats at all.)

InternationalMama

I would definitely wait to import until there was no legal US seat that could safely contain my child.

What if you get into a car accident before your LO reaches 40 lbs? Wouldn't you rather have your insurance replace a $150 Graco My Ride (for example) than be replacing a $500 Swedish seat out of pocket?

That's just one reason I didn't see mentioned yet that I thought I would throw out there.

Maedze

Keep in mind growth will slow down radically in the second year. I had a friend who barely made it rear facing to a year about five years ago....(Canada). Her child was 30 pounds at 12 months. At 24 months, he weighed 31 pounds.

It's entirely possible that even with your child, you may very well get to three or beyond in a United States 40 lb seat.

BeachMama86

Ya, I wouldn't do it. You have about 9 pounds to go, and who knows what seats here will be like by then.

I would get a 40 RFing seat and stick with that for now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC