Volvo Car Seat

U

Unregistered

I have a year 2000 Volvo S70 and have had problems with two different styles of the Graco car seats fitting in my car. They just don't seem secure - although I had them checked by the police dept. They both touch the back of the seats, which makes it impossible to retract either the driver or passanger seat. If the seat is in the middle it covers both seat belt buckles on either side of the passenger belts. I contacted Volvo to get a recommendation and was informed that they have a seat you can puchase. I was looking at the Britax Roundabout and Marathon but found reviews that said they did not fit well rear facing in Volvos. Anyone have any experience with the seat manufactured by Volvo or any recommendations for brands to use in a 2000 Volvo? Thanks!

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
It is my understanding that the Volvo child seat is not approved for use in the US. Unless something has changed recently, Volvo is still trying to get an exemption so that their seat can be certified to US standards. IIRC, the issue was that the seat cannot be installed with just a seatbelt - you must use LATCH anchors.

In May of 2002, I was told:

This seat is now available from Volvo dealers in Europe, but is not available in the US. It will not be available until NHTSA changes the test requirements for child seats in the US, which is scheduled for November of this year. It may be available in the US next year.

I just sent an e-mail inquiring about the current status. I will post if/when I receive a response.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Here's what I was told today:

No, it is not yet available in the US and probably will not be available this year. NHTSA has not yet changed FMVSS 213, even though Congress required them to do it by last Nov. 1. They now expect to issue the amendments this summer, so it isn't likely that Volvo would be able offer the child seat this year, and the delays make it less likely that they will ever offer it in the US.

U

Unregistered

I have the same problem with my V70 wagon. But, I love how snug the Marathon is when it's installed in the center position. I figure I can use the outboard positions (and take advantage of the latch system) when my daughter can ride forward facing. Once she's forward facing, only one seat belt latch will be covered and the forward seat recline won't be an issue.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC