seat belt buckle touching the car seat?

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
What is the rule on this? Can the buckle not be touching the car seat at all? And what do you do to remedy this... is this when you twist the seat belt stalk to shorten it? Thanks!

ADS

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Not totally sure what you mean by the "buckle is touching the seat." There isn't a RULE on this, only a caution or possible difficulty with getting an acceptable instal.

If you're describing the point where the lap webbing goes through the buckle and shifts into shoulder harness webbing then it MIGHT be a problem - especially if you have a locking or sliding LATCH PLATE.

The concern is that when the two parts of the seat belt harness aren't parallel, the seat belt will loosen (not stay locked).

If you're describing the idea that the latch plate (male part of the seat belt) is right on the edge of the belt path of the seat or is getting hung up in the belt path of the restraint (usually occurs when installing an infant only base), the same problem will occur. [Usually it is right on the side of the retsraint, when the seat belt has to "turn down" after being threaded through the belt path (back of the seat).

In either case, YES, twisting the seat belt stalk (up to 3 full revolutions) to shorten the stalk should help eliminate the problem.

Hope this helps or someone else will better understand what you are asking.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Thanks. That did answer my question. I thought I had heard somewhere that the latchplate couldn't be touching the car seat at the belt path. I have had this happen in dh's car, but it just barely touches and doesn't get in the way of a tight install, so I'm going to assume its okay, unless someone else tells me otherwise! Thanks again!

georgiamom

I hope it's ok that I revive this old thread because I need a bit more reassurance. My new Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe says explicitly that the buckle touching the belt path is not acceptable, and that the seat belt should not be twisted, so how do I manage this?

We drive a 1999 Subaru Outback, no LATCH, and buying a new car is not financially feasible. I can't put the seat in the center, because I have two seats back there. Since the FP seat is manufactured by Britax, it is my understanding that it is very similar to the Marathon. My skinny (26 lb) 3-year-old is too tall for her Roundabout and the 5-point harness options for her are pretty slim (although I think the same problem happened with the Roundabout and the buckle, but I didn't know it might be a problem at the time).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC