convertible questions

dieselgirl

Hi,

I need help with a convertible carseat for my dd who is 8 months old and 20lbs. We were going to purchase an Evenflo Triumph then switch her to her sisters Evenflo Generations when she outgrew it. The problem is we are afraid that her sister will not be in the small booster (under the bum only) by the time the younger girl needs to move up. My older daughter weighs 28lbs and is 28 months old and tall for her age but skinny.We did look at a growth chart and the baby is in the 90th percentile but even if she continued on this growth curve it doesn't look like she would hit 40lbs until she is 3 or so. My 8 month old has 2lbs left before she reaches the limit for her infant seat but has 2 slots left for strap height, do we have to switch her when she reaches the weight limit or can we wait?

The other option is the Safety 1st Interra but I am not seeing many reviews or safety ratings for it. It looks much taller but not as padded. Could someone give me some feedback on these seats.

I should mention that we are in Canada so we have limited seats and I am not interested in the Britax or Scenera which I see posted all of the time. Also both of these seats are on sale this week Triumph $129.99 and Interra $199.99 in the ladybug pattern. Also this is our last child so cost effective is good that is why I don't want the Brittax.

Thank you for your help, what a great board.

ADS

cantech

Have you considered a Radian. We have them here in Canada now! They're available for $199 from Canadian Tire. It RF's to 30 lbs and FF's to 48. If your daughter is truly taller than she is heavy the extra inch of harness height is worth it. Both the Intera and the Triumph are likely to be out grown by height in the forward mode before your daughters are heavy enough to use a booster.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi,

I need help with a convertible carseat for my dd who is 8 months old and 20lbs. We were going to purchase an Evenflo Triumph then switch her to her sisters Evenflo Generations when she outgrew it. The problem is we are afraid that her sister will not be in the small booster (under the bum only) by the time the younger girl needs to move up. My older daughter weighs 28lbs and is 28 months old and tall for her age but skinny.We did look at a growth chart and the baby is in the 90th percentile but even if she continued on this growth curve it doesn't look like she would hit 40lbs until she is 3 or so. My 8 month old has 2lbs left before she reaches the limit for her infant seat but has 2 slots left for strap height, do we have to switch her when she reaches the weight limit or can we wait?

Weight limits are non negotiable. When she hits the weight you move her. If her head goes within an inch of the top of the shell you move her. But it sounds like she has a lot of height above her.

I should mention that we are in Canada so we have limited seats and I am not interested in the Britax or Scenera which I see posted all of the time. Also both of these seats are on sale this week Triumph $129.99 and Interra $199.99 in the ladybug pattern. Also this is our last child so cost effective is good that is why I don't want the Brittax.

It's because of the cost effectiveness that a Britax is so recommended. You're likely to get the entire six years of life out of a Britax, whereas otherwise you need more than one seat (like you do, you're already thinking ahead to what seat to use when she outgrows the Triumph). From an infant seat if you buy a higher weight Britax the only question after that is what $15 booster do I want? Your daughter can ride in the Britax from now until she hits 48 pounds, which even for a big kid is probably over four years for now, and that's if her weight doesn't slow a lot. And actually, what you can do is have your older daughter ride in a Marathon (for example) and give your younger daughter the Triumph. That'll give your older daughter a lot of time in a five point harness. So in about three years when your daughter hits 40 pounds (or when her shoulders are above the top slot which is a concern for an Evenflo, that's not a concern in a higher weight Britax until most kids are at the very least four, if not five and the occasional six) your older daughter will be ready to go to a booster. Then you use the Britax for the second half of its six year lifespan. You said you're concerned about your older one not being out of her seat by the time the second needs it, in which case you're looking at having a third convertible in the house. Buy one now at $130 and another at $130 and you've nearly hit a Britax's cost. If you buy an Interra and another you're paying more for the two of them than one Britax. And that way it guarantees you'll only need to buy a booster later for your girls to share (they also have six year life spans so in the three years your second daughter is outgrowing the Marahon your older uses it, and when she's outgrown it your younger uses it).

I know that the Canadian Marathons have a 48 pound limit rather than a 65 pound limit like the ones in the US, but they're the same seat. Same thing with the Radians. The Canadian Marathon is $300 and the Radian $200. Something to consider.

Wendy

scatterbunny

Between a Triumph and an Intera, I'd go with an Intera any day. The Triumph is so short that most kids can't make it to 30 pounds rear-facing, some not even to a year old. :( It's just a really short seat compared to the Intera.

Also, your oldest can only use a backless booster (when she's old enough and heavy enough) IF your vehicle has tall seatbacks or headrests. She needs head protection at least to the tips of her ears. I know that's a long ways away, but it's important to remember that a highback booster is necessary with lowback seats or no headrests, and a highback booster will provide more head protection than a backless booster (which obviously provides none, just positions the belts properly).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC