what to buy? Intera/Generations/Cargo Platinum/Traditions/Marathon

petruzzo

which has the highest harness slots? safety 1st Intera, Evenflo Generations, Graco Cargo Platinum, Evenflo Traditions or the Marathon?

dd is 31lbs, 38" tall, almost 3.5 years old.

Btw, I'm in Canada

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Here is a link that tells you the harness heights of car seats
http://www.carseatdata.org/csnumbers.html
This link doesn't include the Radian but their website says 18". This is the one that I want to get for ds because his torso is so long he has outgrown his graco comfort sport. If Candaian Tire ever gets them in, and this seat fits in my car, this is the one I would get. I figured that I would get the longest use out of it.

BrookeSLP

The Radian has somewhat higher slots than the Marathon. I am not sure about the weight limits for the seats in Canada as they are different from the US. In the US, the Marathon and Radian have 65 lb weight limits, all the others you listed have 40 lbs limits.

Brooke

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Radian is slightly higher than Marathon & CarGo (17"), which are higher than the Bolero/Traditions.... The "best" fits the child, fits the vehicle & will be used correctly :)

If your child is past the RF limits for the Radian or Marathon & you're looking for a combination seat that can become a booster later, I'd consider the Recaro Young Sport -- it's harness slots are also 17" but it has a recline option that got us a little more time for height growth. There's also the Britax Regent or SafeGuard both with 19" tall top slots but only for use FF.

Please tell us your budget, your vehicle year/make/model & kiddo's age/weight/height?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Aw, man!!! SORRY -- I did it again ... forgot about Canada :eek: :eek: Go ahead, give me a good kick to the rear :p

Well, anyway, the Radian has the highest slots, but it just does not install well in certain vehicles -- whereas the Marathon & CarGo seem to be more reliable on that end. Perhaps your vehicle is one we know whether or not the Radian installs well in to help out better?

Dillipop

If you can't find the radian, I would go with the cargo, since you do not need the rfing option of the marathon. The cargos slots are 17 inches and it is a lot cheaper for the same limits (48 pounds in canada, I believe?) At that point, you will need a dedicated booster anyway, since the cargo does not make a great one, and you can use what you saved on the cargo for a really good one. That's probably what I would do, unless you have or are planning to have a younger child that you can pass a marathon rfing to.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
which has the highest harness slots? safety 1st Intera, Evenflo Generations, Graco Cargo Platinum, Evenflo Traditions or the Marathon?

dd is 31lbs, 38" tall, almost 3.5 years old.

Btw, I'm in Canada

Unless you are planning on having another child to pass it down to, I'd probably not get a convertible. In CA, the rf limit on the seats is 30lbs w/a ff limit of 48lbs.

The height limit on the MA, Generations and Cargo are comparible. So I'd probably go with the Generations if it installs well and your dd is comfortable in it. Otherwise, I'd look at the Cargo even though it doesn't make a good booster. It will make a good harnessed seat that will likely get her the 48lbs limit. Then you can address booster issues then. What ever you go with, be sure it has the front harness adjuster. I know some of the Cargo's have a recline feature, which would be nice if your dd is a napper. Not sure on the Generations.

petruzzo

Please tell us your budget, your vehicle year/make/model & kiddo's age/weight/height?

My car is a '95 Corolla w/out LATCH. Dh has a '04 Corolla. Right now dd is in an AO in dh's car and in an Eddie Bauer high back in mine.

ds is in a peg bucket and needs a new seat NOW. We thought of giving him her AO rf and getting a new seat for DD from the above mentioned list.

so essentially we'll need 2 new seats: one for dd and one for ds who's ever so close to 20 lbs.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I would get a Britax Marathon and a Graco CarGo.

Your ds could RF in the Marathon for a long time still. Canada says babies can RF until 30 pounds, right? It will probably be a long time until he weighs 20 pounds.

For your dd, I would get a CarGo (with the front harness adjuster). She should be able to fit in that seat for quite a while still. She has until 48 pounds, right?

It really is too bad that Canada doesn't have the REgent or doesn't allow seats to be used to a higher weight.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My car is a '95 Corolla w/out LATCH. Dh has a '04 Corolla. Right now dd is in an AO in dh's car and in an Eddie Bauer high back in mine.

ds is in a peg bucket and needs a new seat NOW. We thought of giving him her AO rf and getting a new seat for DD from the above mentioned list.

so essentially we'll need 2 new seats: one for dd and one for ds who's ever so close to 20 lbs.

& in Canada with their lesser FF limit (for Marathon & Radian) I tend to agree with your DH :eek:

The AO is usually outgrown very quickly FF because it has the shortest shell/frame + lowest top harness slots ... so I think you've got a great idea to pass it down to baby :)

Since the CarGo can harness til 48# in Canada & has 17" tall harness slots (Ultra or Platinum versions also have a recline "sleep bar" option that might gain a bit more height growth time, too) then I would choose it over the Radian!

When baby outgrows the AO RF big kid will likely need a more dedicated booster (such as Graco Turbo that has deep head wings with EPS foam) & the CarGo can be handed down.

Now, if you're using both vehicles to transport kids it's best to have carseats more-or-less permenently installed in each vehicle to help reduce error of uninstalling/reinstalling....

petruzzo

I know boosters aren't allowed to be used on airplanes but can combination seats like evenflo generations and those on the above list be used?

After all that I've read I think we'll buy the generations or cargo depending on how they fit in our cars (that's for dd)

As for ds, maybe I can convince dh to go with the marathon, again depending on how it fits. If the MA doesn't work, then I guess the Intera may work.

But, for our trip (to Italy) in December, I need seats for the flight at least for ds. I may not board a seat for dd depending on how the seat fits in the seat and whether the seat pitch will allow her some leg comfort.

I've used the AO before on a plane and it worked but how's a MA, Generations, or Intera. The aircraft is an Airbus 330 to Frankfurt and probably a MD80 to Turin.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If the stickers/manual says FAA approved, then yes they can be used on planes -- the CarGo is pretty narrow & should work well.... Personal experience tells me that the airplane buckle will be pressing into kiddo's back so on the plane I'd use a blankey between for comfort (certainly not in the vehicle, though: it's a turbulence issue in flight vs. violent crash forces in car!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC