Convertible Carseat Rec for 06 RAV4

MomE

My head is spinning with all the options out there, and I can't make up my mind! I'm new to posting on the boards, but have been reading for a long time, and I've noticed lots of complaints about installing seats in the center of the RAV4, which is making my decision all the more difficult....

So here's what I have.... I was in an accident and wound up with an 06 RAV4 (long story). I had no problem at all installing the Safeseat 1 with the base in the center of the 2nd row (I have no third row). Now my daughter is about to outgrow the safeseat, and I want to keep her rearfacing as long as possible. I also want a convertible seat that will keep her harnassed for as long as possible even after turning her around. Our accident was a side impact accident. So I'm hypersensitive about putting her in the center with a seat with "wings" or as much side protection as possible. It saved her from any apparent injury in the accident, and I want to keep it that way should we have another accident.

I've narrowed my choices to the Radian XT, the Boulevard, or the True Fit. But, after reading all the issues with the center seat in the RAV, I can't decide which one would be compatible. I'm willing to do a bunch of contortions to get it in, within reason.... But I don't want to spend tons of time on it or end up not being able to get her in the center. So what which would you choose?

I've even considered trading the RAV for a CRV? Is the CRV a better car to get seats in the center?

And the final option.... Trade the RAV for a Camry. I consider this because I worry about flying objects from the open cargo areas of the small SUVs. Is the Camry a better car to get seats in the center?

Sorry for the long post. I'm just trying to get the safest option for my daughter. And it's been a difficult decision given our history with the accident and all the options out there. Thanks in advance for all your advice!

ADS

marjen

I have a 2008 RAV4, and I haven't been able to install a car seat in the center with either latch or the seat belt. I'm not sure how the 2008 compares to the 2006, but mine has that crazy seat belt that comes down from the ceiling...it makes it tough. You mentioned the CRV...starting in 2007, there's a 5th latch anchor in the back, so you could do center latch (should make installation easier, but not always). I actually wish I had a CRV instead of my RAV4 so I could put my daughter in the center.

Good Luck!

MomE

Oops.... One more seat I've considered.... Recaro Signo.

See, what I mean about my head spinning! And it doesn't help that I damaged my brain in that accident I mentioned! :p *sigh*

MomE

I have a 2008 RAV4, and I haven't been able to install a car seat in the center with either latch or the seat belt. I'm not sure how the 2008 compares to the 2006, but mine has that crazy seat belt that comes down from the ceiling...it makes it tough. You mentioned the CRV...starting in 2007, there's a 5th latch anchor in the back, so you could do center latch (should make installation easier, but not always). I actually wish I had a CRV instead of my RAV4 so I could put my daughter in the center.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info! Yes mine is the same as the 2008 with the belt that comes out of the roof. But, like I said, I had no problem with the Safeseat.... The seat is pushed slightly over toward the drivers side, and I know I can't fit a passenger on that side. But I'm okay with that. And the seat is rock solid, doesn't budge, perfect angle, etc.... However, if the CRV would be better, maybe it's worth a look....

Here's another question I've encountered? Doesn't the LATCH have a weight limit? So, like, won't I HAVE to use the belt at some point? Or is that based on the seat I choose? Kinda new to the LATCH thing since I don't use it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In a Toyota you can use LATCH in the outboard seats (they don't allow borrowing for the middle) to 48 lbs. That will cover you as long as you have to rear-face, and forward-facing for usually quite a while after that.

I have tried a lot of RF seats in the RAV 4 (all outboard, since I had a FF seat behind the driver and you can't use the middle and the driver side belts at once.) None that I tried were a good fit with the seatbelt. I HAD to use LATCH to be able to get a decent install. I hated installing in that car! Something with lockoffs might make it easier, though, I've never tried with lockoffs but I think they would solve the problems I was having. So convertible-wise, that would be the True Fit or the Britax convertibles, pretty much...

cookie123

Seriously you can't use the middle and driver's side seat belts at once? That has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. My DH really wants to get a Rav 4. Wait until I tell him.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep. You can't use all three belts at once because there is significant overlap between those two belt positions. Like, the middle belt, if buckled, ends up UNDER where the driver's side passenger's rear end would be.

marjen

And the final option.... Trade the RAV for a Camry. I consider this because I worry about flying objects from the open cargo areas of the small SUVs. Is the Camry a better car to get seats in the center?

I've never installed seats in the center of a Camry, but I would imagine the seat belt installation would be easier than the RAV4. Mainly because of the seat belts...you don't have to deal with it coming from the ceiling. I know that I've had no problems using seat belts to install seats in my husband's Nissan Altima.

For me, there's a big difference in putting a child in a sedan vs. an SUV. It's easier to put my daughter in the RAV4 since it's higher up. And especially if you're considering the Recaro Signo. It sits very high on its base, and would probably be much more of a pain in a car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC