Turn him around??

U

Unregistered

Ok, I have a 20lb, 28+inch baby.BIG BOY. His feet rest on the back of the seat when we go for a ride. His doctor says to turn him around! I have asked A LOT of people and I always get a different answer. Any experts out there?? Is it better to turn him around to avoid a spine injury if he looks his legs against the seat in an accident? HELP!!

ADS

twokidstwodogs

Leave him rear facing

You don't say how old he is, but based on what you say, I'm guessing he's under a year. So in no circumstances should you turn him around, despite what your doctor says. His legs are just fine hitting the back of the seat; what you should worry about is his cervical spine, and there is no question that rearfacing protects against the most severe injuries. Current recommendations are to leave the child rearfacing until the upper limits of the seat. He has tons of time to rear face in a convertible seat. (Perhaps you should point your doctor to the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations. He/she needs a little refresher course!)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I agree. Even at the lowest RFing weight convertibles he has 10 more pounds to rearface. There have been no documented cases of legs breaking due to RFing in an accent. There have been, unforunately, far too many documented cases of paralysis and internal decapitation caused by premature FFing.

My four year old, 38" 28# daughter rides RFing with me. Boy oh boy do her legs touch the seat. She can put them up on the back seat and rest her feet on the top (no headrest in the middle). She either crosses them, puts them up, or tosses them over the side of the seat. I've never heard a complaint that her legs are bothering her. In fact, a lot of kids are more comfortable RFing because their legs aren't dangling, which can cause numbness and tingling on decent length trips.

Definitely point your ped in the direction of the AAP's recommendation on this (http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;109/3/550).

There are a couple of quotes about this I've seen, too.

"Bent legs don't break."

And

"Broken leg, cast it. Broken neck, casket."

On the link that Rebekah has for you there's an album of older/heavier children who are RFing. Definitely check it out. Here's Piper's page, from 14 months to 4 years, so you can see the progression over the time. http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/Piper.aspx

Wendy

Last edited:

skaterbabs

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT turn him around. Your ped is wrong. His legs and spine are in no danger rear facing - forward facing he is at significant risk of something called "internal decapitation". Basically, his spinal cord can snap completely, he'll look like he's sleeping, but would actually be dead.
Check out this link for accurate information:
http://cpsafety.org/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

my3girls

I know you didn't ask for advice about seats, just their direction, but I was wondering what seat he's in. My 3.5 year old has always been BIG and there are specific carseats that will really fit larger kids, but most don't. My dd first convertible she outgrew when she was 24 months. No way on earth is a 2 year old ready for a booster! So I had to buy her another seat, but then I even needed another when she turned 3 because she's still too young for a booster (and they're less safe) All these seats wouldnt' have been necessary IF I knew seats were made different and which ones would've lastrf the longest. Just trying to help, cause if your kiddo stays big, I know what road you are headed down!

U

Unregistered

Thanks

Thanks all! What a great link skaterbabscpst, I will leave him backward!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
These are also quite helpful....

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
http://www.thecarseatlady.com/car_seats/rear-facing_seats.html

My daughter's Ped. gave horrible advice to turn my daughter FF before the minimum recommendation -- when I found the American Academy of Pediatrics policy statement (by searching the AAP website) that urges all parents/caregivers to keep kids RF until the MAXIMUM limits of the seat, I printed it out & shared with the Dr. He said he was sorry & I've since noticed a copy of the policy statement hanging on the waiting room cork board for all parents :) :D :cool: Too many Peds. do not keep updated with their own profession in this regard & it's very sad....

tjham

Wow, that is great that your ped was open to your input. Years ago, I told my family doctor some very common info that he was not up on and he told me I read too much! :rolleyes:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Heheh, I'm sure he'd have reacted the same way if I hadn't brought the print out with me, but the way I presented it he was pretty embarrassed that he hadn't done his own homework & I'd done it for him, LOL! :p Since then he's joked that he rethinks all his non-medicine advice before giving it ... as should be! ;) He was my Ped. when I was little, too, so I think he also felt really bad that he'd given advice contrary to the AAP for that simple fact alone -- I don't let him live it down, either :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC