Question True Fit installation questions

U

Unregistered

Hello out there,

I'd just like to start by saying I've found this forum so helpful while researching car seat choices. Thank you all for your time and input.

My situation: I need 2 new car seats, so that we have 2 in each vehicle. Right now DD (2yr 8m and 30lb) fits well FF in her Roundabout (lots of growing room), and DS is soon to outgrow his infant seat.

My plan is to put both Roundabouts in my husband's truck, one FF for DD and one RF for DS. I will keep DD FF in the truck since she does not ride in that vehicle often, and only very short trips. There is no way we would be able to fit 2 seats RF in his truck, and still have room for a driver. So DD will be FF behind the driver, DS will be RF behind the passenger seat. The passenger seat is usually empty so it will be fine to adjust it fully forward to accommodate the seat behind it.

I have just learned the benefits of ERF, so I want to try to get DD to RF in my vehicle (if she'll tolerate it), and of course DS needs a new seat for my vehicle too, so after researching, I've decided to try the True Fit for both kids.

I just brought home a new True Fit, and have been trying it out in my vehicle (06 Pontiac Torrent). I found the installation easy FF with both UAS and seat belt. (I was just experimenting, since we don't plan on using it FF any time soon.)

When RF, I must say that it was challenging to get a tight fit with latch connectors (much more difficult than the Roundabout, in my opinion). But I think I got it. I really found it difficult to get the strap tight enough to limit sideways movement of the seat, no matter how hard I tried. And clipping the strap in the lock-offs didn't seem to do much, but maybe I just don't realize what they do??? With my Roundabout, it took a lot of effort to tighten the strap, but I was able to tighten sufficiently.

Do you have any tips for me, on how to get a tight fit RF with latch? (I guess I could try it with the seatbelt, I didn't think of that today. I have always assumed latch was an easier way to get a good fit.)

Also, are there any carseat inspectors in the London - Stratford Ontario area? I'd love to have a professional check my work.

In addition, any new tips for accessing the button that loosens the harness would be appreciated. I know others have had this issue when the seat is used RF. My button it not difficult to push, it's just that I physically can't reach it. And my installation angle is correct at 36 degrees.

Once again, thanks to everyone for your time and dedication to this forum. You're fantastic!
Carol

ADS

northernmommy

Glad you've found us helpful, and good for you looking for a way to keep your DD as safe as possible :thumbsup: !

When you installed the seat rf, were you pulling the LATCH strap through the hole in the cover, or from the outside of the seat? It's a lot easier to tighten it if you pull the "tail" through the opening in the cover to tighten. Just put your weight in the seat and pull it as tight as you can, then close the lock offs and it should be in snug.

As for reaching the adjustment lever, it may just be something you'll have to live with, as it seems to be a fairly common complaint (I've never had an issue with mine, but many others have). The angle of recline may have something to do with it --- when the seat is closer to the 45deg, it's a bit easier to access, but for an older child, a more upright install is actually safer.

I'm not sure of any techs in your area, but I know there are at least a couple in Ontario, just not sure how close they are to you!

HTH!

-Sarah

jess71903

Ambassador
When you installed the seat rf, were you pulling the LATCH strap through the hole in the cover, or from the outside of the seat? It's a lot easier to tighten it if you pull the "tail" through the opening in the cover to tighten. Just put your weight in the seat and pull it as tight as you can, then close the lock offs and it should be in snug.

This. If you pull it on the outside of the seat, it's at the wrong angle to get it to tighten well. I got mine in so it wouldn't budge after putting my weight in the seat and pulling up through the hole in the cover.

IMO, a seatbelt install RF is difficult with the TF, but doable. I would use UAS if you can.

We leave our TF adjusted to the right tightness all the time. With the continuous loop harness, this isn't a big deal to me. I just pull on one side, put arm in, pull on other side, get arm in, then even them out before buckling.

U

Unregistered

Thank you for that advice. I was pulling from the outside of the seat, but I will try it as you suggested to see if I can get it a bit tighter.

I also reclined the seat a smidge more, so I can loosen the harness straps easily, but found they don't tighten easily. I am going to try leaving them tight and see how that goes.

DD took her maiden voyage in the seat this morning, and did well. She enjoyed being RF, and said her new seat was cozy and comfy. I hope the novelty of being RF doesn't wear off... time will tell!

Thanks again for your help, northernmommy and jess.

Carol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC