Girl Scout Leader and Transportation

Mommypooh

Okay I am becoming a Girl Scout Leader. I have 3 co-leaders. Between us we have
1 Jeep Cheerokee with 2 shoulder belts and a center lap only belt not sure on year 2 Ta's out board
1 Town and Country with 4 shoulder belts and a center lap only belt 01 5 Ta's
1 Grand Caravan with 4 shoulder belts and a center lap only belt 99 with 5 Ta's
1 Honda si with 2 shoulder belts don't know year and unsure on TA's

Seat wise we have
2 regents
2 boulevards
2 cargos one with a harness one as only a booster
1 Natilus
1 parkway
1 fisherprice booster (maybe up to 4 of these at some point see *)
1 evenflo bigkid
2 eddie bauer combo seats one with harness one as a booster only.

I have 2 kids of mine that will be taggin along one is 13 months and 19 lbs and the other is 3 1/2 and 32 lbs. So how many can we transport and how would you set it up.

We were thinking of 12 girls but not sure. *I will be trying to purchase 1 FP booster and maybe a backless or two if I have to.

My youngest will have to stay in a BV as it is the only seat that RF's but my other kid can ride in anything with a harness since he is forward facing and under 40 lbs. I think he even fits in the Eddie bauer seat. I will figure out which on and post it back it does have no rethread harness so I know the tops slot is no good for harness.

*There might end up being 2 more FP boosters as only of the co-leaders MIL is getting them we think and we can borrow them when and if we need to.

ADS

fyrfightermomma

Totally doesn't answer your question but are you sure the caravan and town and country has 5 TA's?

My parents have an 01 Grand Caravan and it only has 3. My dad's 06 t&c only has 3 and my 06 grand caravan also only has 3. Captains seats, and off center in the 3rd row center.

I looked at so many and couldn't seem to get past 3(and oh how I looked!) I'll be mad if there's some out there that have 5! Grrrr....

Tyler'sMom1117

I don't have much advice other than not to take the girls too many places for the first couple of years in scouting. Save the trips for when they are older. You want to get to know all of their personalities well before you venture out with them. Find out who is the wanderer, who is the leader, who is insecure away from home, etc? There is so much you can do without traveling. I was a Girl Scout leader for years and transportation was always a nightmare. The paperwork was out of control, and lice started to become an issue with a couple of girls in my troop so obviously we didn't want to travel much anymore.:( We tried to have parents transport as much as was possible.

christineka

My dds have been in girl scouts. I wouldn't plan to be transporting girls except the occasional one who needs a ride. Parents should be driving their own kids.

Tyler'sMom1117

Another thing to consider is, do you really want to be weighing and measuring each of these kids before each trip? Do you want to be responsible in the case of an accident that every child is secured properly? Do you want to be argueing with kids and possibly parents about what seat they are riding in? You may have some kids who don't ride in anything and refuse to be harnessed in a Regent. I just see it being a big headache.

I'm not saying this to discourage you, but as a GS leader who has been through this. Good luck with what you decide.

Mommypooh

as for the harnessing in the regents one of them will be my daughter and the other most likely will be my friends niece since we know they like the seats and will sit in them. I just want to make sure we don't take on too many if we decide to do things. I also don't want to have to pay every parents gas just to go somewhere and in my area most kids are not going to be allowed to go if parents have to drive them far.

We don't have much planned other than caroling and also any time parents drive they have to have a backround check and it is a headache for most of them and most won't do it. So I want to make sure with the leaders we have enough room for it.

I guess I will just deal with it myself, I don't plan to do much traveling with them but I know in my low income area it is unavoidable and just want to make sure everyone is safe.

I plan to cover the fact that if they are transported by leaders they will be in boosters. It is not optional in my or the other leaders vehicles as it is our butt or the Girl Scouts insurance.

The kids will either deal or they don't have to go. Safety is first. We actually plan to do a Safety lesson with the girls and such.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Totally doesn't answer your question but are you sure the caravan and town and country has 5 TA's?

My parents have an 01 Grand Caravan and it only has 3. My dad's 06 t&c only has 3 and my 06 grand caravan also only has 3. Captains seats, and off center in the 3rd row center.

I looked at so many and couldn't seem to get past 3(and oh how I looked!) I'll be mad if there's some out there that have 5! Grrrr....

Is it possible your parents' van is newer than a 2001 model? The 2001 Caravan and Grand Caravan are listed as having 5 top tether anchors on the back of the vehicle seats in the Dodge section of the LATCH manual. It's the 2002 and newer Caravans/Grand Caravans that have 3 tether anchors, which is the minimum number required by FMVSS for most vehicles. It's as though Chrysler said oh, we don't have to include 5 TAs to comply with FMVSS and decontented after the 2001 model year. :eek:

fyrfightermomma

Is it possible your parents' van is newer than a 2001 model? The 2001 Caravan and Grand Caravan are listed as having 5 top tether anchors on the back of the vehicle seats in the Dodge section of the LATCH manual. It's the 2002 and newer Caravans/Grand Caravans that have 3 tether anchors, which is the minimum number required by FMVSS for most vehicles. It's as though Chrysler said oh, we don't have to include 5 TAs to comply with FMVSS and decontented after the 2001 model year. :eek:

Yep, you're right. I just called my mom and its a 2000 and 2006 they have. So....for one year they gave them 5??? What was the point of that? That completely sucks :thumbsdown:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Sorry for not giving specifics about the configurations, but I suggest checking out the CARPOOL links @ my site: click my screen name > visit homepage > Safety Seat Basics ... scroll down :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC