shield booster questions

U

Unregistered

I know that most shield boosters are dangerous, but what about the Britax Laptop? What makes that one different from the rest? (I need to find a booster for occasional use for the rear bench of our van - there is only a lap belt there.) - I carpool, and I want something safe for kids ages 5-8.

ADS

scatterbunny

The Laptop isn't like other shield boosters for a few reasons: it is made of EPS foam, not hard plastic covered in soft material (therefore absorbs crash forces better); it fits very snugly against the child's body, and fits high on the torso (shield boosters allow a gap between the shield and the child, space for a child to fly forward in a crash--and they fit fairly low on the child's torso, room for a child to fly forward/down in a sort of jack-knife).

The Laptop is great for lapbelt-only spots but can only be used for children 30-65 pounds. The tips of the child's ears must not be above the vehicle seatback or headrest.

While it isn't particularly wide, it is difficult to use in some three-across situations because you must buckle it each and every time (like a booster), and the seatbelt must go OVER the Laptop, through the red belt path, and then get buckled. Some children have issues with the snug fit, and even my dd, who likes the Laptop overall, complains when she has to ride in it for any length of time (say, more than 20 minutes).

Still, I love it for what we use it for--the middle of dh's single-cab pickup and in my MPV's lapbelt-only spot when I have a whole van-ful of kids/people. It is compact and fairly lightweight and works in lapbelt-only spots, so it has been a lifesaver for us.

They are hard to find though, and even harder to find new ones or ones with a history you can trust.

Pics of my dd in the Laptop at 43 inches/43 pounds/3 years and 10 months old:

U

Unregistered

Hmmmm - Would it fit in between two Turbo boosters?
I'm not using it all the time, and not for my kids.
They have some on eBay right now that they (say) are 'new' (meaning never used.) I'm sure they are 'older,' but if they are just for car-pooling, I won't need them for the full 6 yrs anyways.

U

Unregistered

ooops -I just posted in the wrong thread! LOL!
We have a 2002 Dodge Caravan!

skaterbabs

FWIW, we had my boys in Laptops a couple of years ago and I *loved* them. I really wish my 7 yo wasn't too heavy for one because he was far less wiggly at 4 in the LT than at nearly 8 in the Turbo Booster.
As a matter of fact, their LTs probably saved their lives when I rolled my '89 Astro (ice.)

scatterbunny

According to the measurements I found, the 2002 Caravan's third row has almost 67 inches of hip room...can that be right?? If it is, you'll have no problems fitting three across.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The LapTop is an awesome niche seat -- it's crash test is comparable to 5-point harnesses as opposed to boosters, so I really prefered it's safety for our spare seat used in my parents' vehicle (they can't buckle harnesses or tighten them properly because of arthritis & nerve damage) ... but, I gave it to my DD's special needs friend in Nursery School because his parents were using an outgrown carseat & an expired carseat :eek: They could really use the LapTop more than us, so I gave it to them ... DD misses it & gets a bit possessive wanting it back again when her friend's mom leaves it in the Nursery for his dad to use at pick-up time :rolleyes: :cool:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC