Need opinions please

SPJ&E

Here I go again, lol. I can't make up my mind about the carseat I want for my son for his dad's vehicle. I was going to use the tax money and split the cost with his dad to get a Marathon or a Boulevard, but the more I think about it, I'm not sure that's what I want to do.

His dad is living with another girl right now, who has a son that's 1 month and 1 day younger than ours. I don't want to split the cost with him to buy a carseat for her baby to use. Know what I mean? Since my son will only be with him once a week, twice at the most, he won't be using it much at all. So I'll basically be helping him pay for a carseat for her baby to ride in and that's not cool with me. If I'm helping him pay for the carseat, I don't want anyone else using it...period.

So what I was thinking is to still take out that tax money, but save it for next year, when the baby will need 2 convertible carseats (Marathon or Boulevard for my car and not sure which one for his dad's).

I was thinking maybe just get my son a Scenera for his dad's vehicle, since those, from what I've read, are good for extended rear-facing (and that's what I want). Those generally last until about age 3, right? I figured that would do the job fine for now and we could figure out the rest later.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them, as I can't seem to get my thoughts straight on this one! I get completely confused and overwhelmed and just don't want to think about it, lol!

ADS

Longhorn Lady

Yeah, if you're looking for something that will be a second seat and good for extended RF, than that's a good choice.

I can totally understand you not wanting to shell out TONS of money for a seat that's only going to be used once a week for your son, and for someone else the rest of the time. Is there any way that you could ask if your almost-ex-husband would be willing to buy the seat with ALL of his own money, citing the fact that his son AND the other woman's son will be using the seat :confused:

BTW: I didn't see your other reply in your post from yesterday, but I'm so glad that the custody stuff is resolved in your favor. That's what matters most:)

SPJ&E

There's no way he'll spend the $250-$300 to get him a Marathon or Boulevard, I mentioned it the other day and he said there was no way he could afford to. He'll go spend $250 on brand new clothes and shoes for himself and basically brag about it, but he won't spend it on his son. His reasoning is that he needs the tax money to put down on a vehicle and he won't have any left.

Another thing is that I'm sure he wouldn't admit to me that her baby is going to ride in it...but I'm not stupid. So if I were to say that he needed to pay the full amount because her son would be using it too, he would tell me that I'm being stupid.

What I'm going to do is take $700 out of our tax money BEFORE I split it up. Half of that will go straight to my mom to pay her back, because she let me borrow the money to get the separation agreement. $50 of it, I will use to buy our son a Scenera for his dad's vehicle and the other $300 I will put away and save for next year, to buy our second son a Marathon for my car and a Scenera for his dad's.

I THINK that sounds good!

Thank you, about the custody thing. I'm really glad it's working out like I want also. I am just anxious to get those papers signed and filed!

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
i can almost guarantee (without having met either person) that if he gets a marathon for your son you can bet they'll chuck whatever her kid has in favor of it. I mean come on its a marathon!

I think that sounds like a good plan. I have a touriva and whiles its not a marathon its not a bad seat (and if ever gets gross or broken from other ppl using it you're only out 50 bucks.) The scenera is said to be better (I havent needed to play with one except the OHS model so i have no real opinion of the 5 pnt model).

for a seat you'd use everyday i'd say get the marathon but since its him i'd say let him deal with the Seneca's short comings. Little tip thought, put a dot of red finger nail polish on the front of the buckle tongs so they can do the puzzle buckle. Its very confusing and he's more likely to twist the straps trying to force the puzzle to come together. Some ppl get so flustered they'll just give up and you dont want that!

SPJ&E

I had a Touriva a few years ago when I was babysitting a little boy daily. It wasn't a bad seat at all...very easy to use (once I got used to the puzzle buckle). I just hated the lack of padding. The Scenera is the updated version of that, right?? Or do they still make Tourivas?

tjham

The Scenera doesn't have the puzzle buckle. Those drive me crazy! I have a Scenera and like it fine.

Just a thought. When he has your son AND girlfriend's baby, they will need two seats then. I'd watch to see that they do have TWO seats.

SPJ&E

He wouldn't dare bring her to my house, lol. I know that sounds bad, but we JUST split up. I don't know if you read my other post, where I explained it a little more, but he just left us on January 6th. We're not even legally separated yet. I wouldn't make a scene out of it or anything, but he knows better than to bring her here after what he did (asked me to have an open marriage and when I refused, he walked out on me at 25 weeks pregnant with a 13 month old to take care of, caused me to go into preterm labor, etc.). So as far as making sure they have 2 seats, I won't know.

If, by chance, he does end up bringing her and her baby with him one day in the future and her baby is not in a carseat, you bet your a$$ I will call the police (what number would I call???) with his tag number and location!

I am going to install the carseat in his vehicle though and tell him that no one is to move it. I don't feel comfortable with ANYONE installing his carseat but myself because I KNOW that I have taken the time to really learn how to do it correctly. I'm going to check the carseat each and everytime before he leaves here with him to make sure it's still in correctly as well.

U

Unregistered

I like the scenera too, I havent gotten to use one because DS is too big. But we look at them every time we are in the store. I even put him in one today at target because it was a different print and felt a little bit cushier than the one walmart has. He wouldnt get any rearfacing time from it because he is level with(or a centimeter over) the top of the seat and he wouldnt get any forward facing because he just above the top slots. He is 2.5, 33-34lbs, 38.5", and has a 15.5-16" torso. It would last a good while IMO for a smaller child though.
Id wished DS would fit in it because we need a super cheap extra seat to use when we visit my sister for the weekend once a month. I dont want to have to uninstall, reinstall, unistall, and reinstall the husky all in 2 days!!! The only other seat he fits in that the stores around here carry is a graco cherished cargo. He is *just* above the second to top slots, so he has some growing room in it but for 90$ its not worth it for once a month and a max of a year of use(so like 12 times).

ANYWAY. I totally think its a good idea, especially if another kid will be in it- especially if you dont 'know' the kid and mother.

Longhorn Lady

Yeah the Scenera is a good choice :)

I will add one thing, though that I've noticed about it, especially for those of us who are used to Britax seats and are anal about twisty straps ;) I used the Scenera for a bit just to play around with it and than handed it on to someone who needed it because I already have a MA. Anyway, that was about three months ago and a few days ago I saw these people again and noticed that the straps were VERY twisted and the crotch buckles had the straps all bunched up inside of them. This didn't surprise me as these people aren't big on car seat safety and keeping the straps straight and neat (as is totally required with Cosco seats) isn't exactly a priority for them.

So I'd just make sure that you tell your soon-to-be-ex that he MUST make sure the straps are straight EACH time he uses the seat. Because if he doesn't, they will start getting used to twisting :eek:

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Can you tell him to bring you both seats? One for her kid and your own to be sure he actually has two? i also ask when he leaves if you could recheck the seat just be sure someone hasnt removed it and put it back in wrong.

The straps are super twisty but if you call djg and complain they'll send out a set on new ones for free. I would call before they twisted and complained so if one day you see the straps are a mess you have a set right there on hand to switch quickly instead of waiting 2 weeks for new ones.

SPJ&E

I've explained to him before that he has to check the straps every single time and make sure they aren't twisted (the MA's tend to twist right where come out of the back of the seat). We'll definitely be having a big carseat lesson though, before he takes him anywhere...don't worry about that!

I am going to check my son's carseat every single time, before I allow him to go anywhere with him. I had already planned on doing that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC