Installing Britax RA and '95 BMW 325

T

taylormom

Installing Britax RA and '95 BMW 325

I purchased the RA and tried to install it rf in the center backseat of my car. I used the seat belt only as there is no where to anchor the tether. The RA doesn't fit well at all. You can tip the top of the seat forward all the way so it touches the back seat cushion. Is this how they are supposed to fit rf in cars without tether anchors?? Is there a better convertible carseat for my car?

Also, the RA fits in our SUV (2000 Infiniti QX4) as the tether can be strapped around the seat of the Infiniti and tightened down.

ADS
C

Caviller

Rear-facing tether on Britax Roundabout

Don't give up on the Roundabout yet. First, any rearfacing seat will rotate as you describe when used without a tether. What is necessary is that the seat does not move more than an inch front-to-back or side-to-side when you grab it at the base where the seatbelt routes.

First, your BMW dealer should be able to install a tether anchor for you. They should have the necessary parts. If it is too expensive, try another dealer. You can also call 1-800-831-1117.

If they don't know, my information shows that you should have three holes/threaded nuts already in your vehicle. Please see your owners manual section on "Installing Child Seats" for details. You may just need to buy a generic 5/16" anchor kit.

Using the standard tether anchor on the rear parcel shelf will not prevent the rotation you describe, but it may improve performance in a frontal crash.

There is another method to tether the Roundabout rearfacing. Instead of using the tether anchor on the rear parcel shelf, you instead anchor to a suitable location under the seat in front. This may require a $5 connector strap which you can buy from Britax, The Right Start and other stores. Please see your manual or this link:
www.childseat.com/tips/con_step4.htm

Using a tether like this will not improve safety in a frontal crash like the other method, but it will increase stability, help adjust the recline and may improve safety in a side, rear or rollover crash.

Either method is acceptable. Please post again if you need more help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC