Evenflo Triumph FF Question HELP!!

U

Unregistered

We have decided to change our evenflo triumph carseat to the ff position. The installation instructions say to use the top harness slot, but also say to be sure that the harness is tight at her shoulders. There is no way that she would fit in the carseat if that is the case. She would need to grow at least 6 more inches before she would be able to fit and at that point she would be to tall for it. Am I reading something wrong here?

Please help and thanks so much!

Cathy

ADS

scatterbunny

How old is the child, and what height/weight?

If the carseat manual says the top slots must be used when forward-facing, then ONLY the top slots can be used.

It's fine for harness slots to be above a child's shoulders when forward-facing; in fact, they must be at or above the shoulders. It's possible to achieve a snug fit with straps above the shoulders.

Still, six inches is quite a lot . I would leave the child rear-facing. It's much, much safer.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
It's best to keep kiddo RF until they reach the maximum weight/height limit ... 20 pounds & 12 months is the earliest a child can turn FF, but many are able to remain RF until 3 or 4 years old - there has never been a single recorded case of leg/foot injury from extended RF, but many cases of broken necks from FF too soon :( You can see many kids happily RF past 12 months by clicking the 2nd line link in my signature ... most convertible seats today are good for up to 30-35 pounds RF (if you're seat is older than 6 years it is probably expired)
  • Here's a picture of a different seat used FF with the harness in the wrong slot - child was ejected when they suffered a crash because the lower slots are not reinforced for FF :eek:
brokencosco.JPG

U

Unregistered

This is only for her dads truck. I am not sure if she can't see or what, but the minute she gets in his truck, she screams. She is fine RF in my car and I will keep her that way until she it too large.

She is currently 26lbs and about 32in long.

I just can't see how she is secure with the top harness only because they are so much taller than her. They come up to at least her ears, if not higher.

scatterbunny

No baby has ever been injured from crying too much, but many, many babies have been injured from forward-facing too early.

You mention her weight and height, but not her age. That's a huge factor.

It may be the angle of recline in his truck. Is she using the same seat (Triumph) in both vehicles? Do you move it back and forth, or does the truck have a designated seat, always installed?

scatterbunny

Just thinking--the top slots of the Triumph are 15.5 inches tall. The middle slots are 11.5. If your dd has that much space to go before being even with the top slots, she's well below the middle slots, and most certainly should stay rear-facing. :(

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Call Evenflo and ask them if you can use the middle slots. The reinforcement is in the bar that moves, not in the seat itself, so technically the middle slots are just as reinforced as the top slots. Does that car have a top tether? Top tethering is second-safest to rearfacing for kids over a year and 20 pounds, so if you need part numbers to get one installed, one of us can probably look it up for you. Also, the rules on the Triumph are distinctly that the head MUST NOT get closer than one inch to the top of the seatback, and kids as young as 12-14 months are often too tall for it (EVERY OTHER brand lets the head get even with the top of the seatback, of course, Evenflo just has to be different...)
Anyway, yes, there's no question rearfacing is much, much,safer than forward facing, but if the seat is well installed and top tethered, and she's over a year, then it's not so terrible to forward face.

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC