does britax fit in captain's chairs

K

k-ren

We have an Expedition and the second is captain's chairs. I'm worried about the Britax fitting. Anyone else have this?

Also - I can't figure out why anyone buys the Roundabout when the Marathon/Wizard can hold an extra 25 lbs. and taller children. I am asking in earnest as I have a 7 month old and am completely unfamiliar with all of this stuff. Is it because most kids need a booster seat after 40 lbs. rather than a convertible seat?

THanks

ADS

mamamia

Britax seats fit well in most vehicles, and in most seating positions. Captain chairs are nice and wide, so most seats will fit.

It does seem odd that some people would buy a Roundabout over the Marathon or Wizard, since for an extra few dollars you can potentially keep your child in a 5 point harness an extra several years. 5 point restraints are safer than a three point (auto seat belt) so it makes sense to me to go with the Marathon/Wizard. However I can see some reasons why a Roundabout is still a good option. Some people simply like the harness adjuster and other features on the Roundabout better than the ones on the Marathon/WizardMany people have a second child before the first one outgrows the convertible, so they pass it down before it is outgrown anyway. Some people travel by plane a lot, and the roundabout is smaller and lighter than the Marathon/Wizard. Some people find that the Marathon/Wizard being taller than the Roundaobut, limits/restricts the view out the back window of the car. I'm sure people can give you a few other reasons as well.

I have 1 Roundabout and 2 Wizards. I don't like my Roundabout (I know I am in the minority here, but that's my opinion), although using it everyday now, I am getting more used to it. THe Roundabout is the seat I would travel with if I had to given its smaller size. The Wizards are heavy and large, so carrying those around would not be my personal top choice. I can tell you that with the Wizard in my second row captain chair, it is tall enough that I can not see my middle child who sits in the third row of my minivan.

WHatever seat you get you have to like because chances are you will be using it at least a few years-if not the full 6 years until it expires.

BrookeSLP

Hi. The Marathon will most certainly fit fine in captain seats. I have two Marathon's (one RF and one FF) in the second row of an Odyssey. I am not sure why people buy the Roundabout to tell you the truth. It is a bit cheaper, but I would definetly go for the MA or WZ because you get so much more bang for your buck.

Brooke

Last edited:
The reason this person bought a Roundabout is because her husband wouldn't allow her to spend the extra $ for a Marathon...and I didn't realize Wizards could be used for smaller children. :D We also drove a Toyota Corolla and I don't know if a Marathon would have been too tall.

My Roundabout fits rearfacing, just fine, in my brother's Lincoln Aviator. They also have captains in the middle, with a console in the center-middle.

A Marathon may not have fit RF though because of its height and the fact that Aviators are kind of crowded. (In my opinion.)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd go with the Marathon or Wizard, it will fit *easily* in your car. You can use it for several years longer, on average, than the Roundabout, and harnessing kids to at least age 4 or 5 is really ideal (some kids outgrow the roundabout by age 3, which is really too young for a booster, and you end up buying another seat with taller top slots or higher weight limit to keep them harnessed longer).
My 5.5 yo still fits in, and very much loves, her Marathon, but was too tall for the Roundabout at around age 4, and still too squirmy to safely ride in a booster seat.

Smiles365

Senior Community Member
I was going to buy a Marathon, but right now we are traveling a lot by plane between home and Alaska, where my husband is right now. He's a reservist in the Coast Guard who has been callled up, so we try to spend as much time in Alaska with him as possible, but we still have to go home every few months to make sure things there are ok. The Roundabout is much easier for me to take on a plane, especially when most of the time when I am flying it's just ds and I, every pound counts. I have enough to carry thru the airport and onto the plane, so if I can spare a few extra pounds that I'm carrying it's worth it. Also, here in Alaska we only have a 2 door pathfinder and the Marathon would have been too big to get him into the back rear-facing. As it is I have an awful time getting him into the Roundabout rear-facing, I've actually hurt my back a few times trying to crawl into the back seat with him around the carseat to get him in. Slipping on the ice as you're trying to get in the back doesn't help either! We are planning on buying a Marathon later when my husband is back home permanetly, I have a station wagon at home that I can't wait to drive again. Also, if we have another child soon that child will use the Roundabout for it and Frank will use the Marathon.
Sorry to ramble, that's just our situation and why we bought the Roundabout. I wasn't sure I wanted the smaller seat at first, but I asked about it on here and the majority of the responses I got agreed that the Roundabout is better for us right now.
Sarah

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I just bought a roundabout and I already have a Marathon. I have a 2 month old son and a big 4 year old daughter who has a Marathon and my son has the roundabout. I figured since the Roundabout fits so much better rear-facing I would buy that for my 2 month old and then when he needs the extra room of the Marathon he could move to my daughters and she could move to her booster(which she already rides in in our other car) and then I could use the Roundabout with our next baby rear-facing. So in our case we have a Roundabout when it is better for space rear-facing and then the kids can have a Marathon when they need it when they are bigger. It has worked out great for us and if I have to buy another Marathon because our expires before we are done with it that is fine because my husband and I are both taller than average and don't like to sit so close to the dashboard adn the Roundabout gives us that extra room.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC