Peg Perego infant seat base, install w/ or w/o shoulder strap

InTheWoods

Today a tech at the California Highway Patrol installed our 2001 Peg Perego Primo Viaggio infant seat base outboard in our 1996 Subaru wagon utilizing the lap and shoulder belt.

Here's the question: is it okay to install it *with* the two belts (both lap and shoulder portions) going through the seat base? The Peg Perego manual states and illustrates that only the lap portion of the belt be used through the base and that the shoulder portion of the belt just be left free to ride diagonally up the back of the car's seat. The tech tried installing the base according to Peg Perego's instructions, but felt she got a tighter/better fit installing it the way she did. She also used a locking clip within 1" of the seat buckle, yet because the seat buckle falls just shy of meeting the corner of the seat base, the locking clip is installed on the horizontal part of the car's seat belt, which runs across the base. Is this okay?

Hhmm, third question: the base is not horizontal on the seat, which means the baby seat angle is steeper than 45°. Is this okay? It seems too upright, okay for an older baby, but not ideal for a newborn. She tried to install the seat base with a noodle to adjust the angle, but that popped the front of the seat base off the car's seat, making it look like a speed boat forging ahead.

In the end, she asked me how I'd like the seat installed and I simply told her, "Whatever gives the tightest fit." It was a bit of a compromise, becasue we countered Peg Perego's instructions. Or maybe this seat just doesn't fit my car? (This was DS's seat back in 2001, but we used it in another car.)

Kristin

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The seat is probably close to expiration anyway ... if it were me, I'd look into saving up for a new seat that fits the car properly ~ some stores will let you "test" the seat in your vehicle ;)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I can't give you better advice than the CHP without seeing it in person. That said-

1) I always install it with the shoulder belt free of the guides. In general, the shoulder belt should NOT be routed through the lap belt guides on this model, though it is possible the instructions have varied. Older Primo Viaggios can be a tough installation in some vehicles, and impossible in some. If that is the case in your vehicle, I would tend to suggest a new seat rather than to alter the recommended installation. In a crash, those tabs are likely to break if the shoulder belt is routed through them. That could leave extra slack in the seatbelt system.

2) It is usually OK to install the locking clip across the base of an infant seat, provided it is attached within about an inch of the buckle. That is sometimes the only way to install it in some vehicles.

3) If you have a newborn or infant who can't yet support their head well, the angle should be very close to 45 degrees. For older babies with good head support, it is OK to be more upright. Again, this could be a compatibility issue. I have had similar problems with the whole carseat floating off the vehicle seat with this model as well as the Evenflo Portabout in some vehicles when used with noodles to get the correct recline.

So, I would first recommend another trip to a different technician. Perhaps try a local SAFE KIDS organization, or use our resources at www.seatcheck.net to find one near you. Second, I agree with Papooses that a new carseat may be the safest choice. I would also check your date of manfuacture, as your model was subject to a couple recalls and advisories in 2001.

I hope that helps!

InTheWoods

Any recs for new infant seat?

Okay, confirmed some of what I thought. Thanks.

We're looking at getting a new/used late-model (with LATCH) Toyota or Honda minivan in the next couple months, so ideally, if I were to get a new seat, I'd like one that'd fit well in the Subaru w/ the belts and in a minivan w/ LATCH. Any recs? Maybe Graco, TrendSomething Latch LOC, others?

And, Darren, my exact worry on routing both belts through the guides, that the guides would snap under pressure during an accident, creating slack and sending the seat sliding or flying.

Date of manufacture is 09/01. Seats last five (six?) years before they expire? It had one recall sticker on it when we bought it and another recall after that, for which we received and implemented Peg Perego's fix.

Thanks, as always. Glad you guys are here.

Kristin

shashoo

I'm not a tech, but have you tried getting a new base that has an adjustable foot to help with the recline. You could probably try one at BRU and see if that helps.
Another question about a different seat but same idea. The Eddie Bauer infant seat manual says to put the shoulder belt through the tabs. Would the tabs be likely to break on this seat. It is installed with a cinching lap/shoulder belt.

InTheWoods

Thought about buying Peg Perego's new, late-model base, which has an incline bar, to see if that works with my 2001 model Peg Perego seat. Haven't tried it yet, but from pix online, looks like my seat wouldn't snap into the newer base, differently configured footprint.

I did try the BabyTrend LatchLOC (rigid latch) base in my car installed outboard and it didn't fit well. Slid side to side way too much. Wish my car had LATCH, because I like the EPS foam in the head of that seat.

DS and I are going back to BRU this weekend with DH to try the Graco SnugRide base and seat, see if that fits. Think it will. I didn't have the energy for trying a second base the other day at BRU; lugging that heavy LatchLOC base out to the car one-handed while trying to steer DS in his stroller and being 36 wks preg...not a great combination. But after that we looked at toys and bought a couple videos and used the small toddler-sized toilet and sink in BRU's bathroom. THAT was a hit with DS!

Oddly enough, when I re-installed our Peg Perego infant seat in BRU's parking lot, I did it with just the lap-portion of the belt and it's surprisingly tight, though that doesn't help with the too-steep level.

Kristin

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
With the leveling issue, you can use the leveler foot OR a rolled towel (never both), you might find that the towel rolled like a burrito does a better job getting a good recline and also gets the seat installed tighter (I use a towel quite often with that seat, and when I get repeat customers, I find the tech before me used a towel to get a good recline). Couldn't hurt to contact pegperego.com and ask them if you can purchase a new base for use with your old seat, if you continue to have issues.

InTheWoods

Thanks, Julie. I just emailed Peg Perego re the new-base option. Will share their answer with you when I hear back from them.

And I'll try a towel, too. Though by this time I'm looking foward to going to BRU again to get a new seat and to look around at all the baby stuff. I'm in major nesting mode right now.

Kristin

shashoo

I don't mean to take over your post but what about the cosco/eddie bauer seat base. Is it okay to put the shoulder belt through the tabs according to the manual? They are thicker than the peg tabs. I don't understand why the carseat manufacturers can't decide on one way to install a seat and then have that be a standard. The same with seatbelts. It would make installing seats a lot easier.

InTheWoods

Julie, haven't heard back from Peg Perego yet, still the weekend, but did find this (below) on The Right Start's web site re backwards compatibility of new Primo Viaggio base w/ older seat:

"Purchase an extra latching base for your current or older Primo Viaggio Infant Car Seat. (base w/ latch will work with Peg Perego Viaggio Infant car seats from 2001 forward) Base installs in car with seatbelts or LATCH system. Complies with NHTSA standards. Available in Grey"

So looks like that's an option for me, though I'll wait for confirmation from Peg Perego. Haven't tried the towel yet w/ our current base. Did try the Graco SnugRide base in the car today w/ the leveler extended all the way and it fit loosely. Couldn't get it tight, at least not in BRU's parking lot.

Kristin

InTheWoods

Here's verbatim answer from Peg Perego's customer service re using old seat with new base:

"Yes, the current model base will fit and has been tested for use with the older model Primo Viaggio car seat."

Kristin

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC