minivan too many kids

M

mmaisakaolcom

minivan too many kids

Hi I need some advice. I have a 01 Olds Silhouette minivan and drive 5 kids to school all of whom need carseats. One is 40lbs, three apprx 50lbs and one 60lbs. If no one can be in the front that leaves 3 in rear bench location. Center only offers lap belt I have a 5pt booster that the 40 lb fits in fine but I can't get the other booster buckled with this one in middle how does this work, I don't want to drive my only child everyday 30 miles.............HELP. Thanks

ADS
R

Robert

Re: minivan too many kids

Here are a few suggestions. The Fisher Price Futura 20/60 uses the harness straps up till 60 pounds installed with a lap belt. Fisher Price no longer makes these seats but I've been told you still can find them such as www.dmart.com (type in 20/60).

Also Britax Laptop uses a lap belt from 30-65 pounds.

You might also consider having shoulder belts retrofitted by a dealer.

I also recommend you contact a local Child Passenger Safety Technician for assistance on installing which you can locate one at the "free carseat inspection" at the top link.

U

UlrikeDG

You can't use the 5-point harness past 40 lb...

If the child is actually over 40 lb (not 39 lb or less), then you cannot put that child in the harnessed seat. You can, however, use it right up to that 40 lb limit (and, a few oz more won't make a difference, just don't push it).

Some boosters are narrower than others. Assuming there is head support, you could consider the Britax Star Riser (www.britaxusa.com/ the Britax site seems to be malfunctioning right now, but should be back up later today or tomorrow -- click "Boosters"). It adjusts to be very narrow.

Some seats also "mesh" together better than others. You could go to Toys R Us and try different combinations out in your vehicle and see how they work.

If the smallest child really is 40+ lb, then you'll need to change his/her restraint. One option is the Fisher Price Futura. If there is a Big Lots in your area, try calling them to see if they have any left. This seat has been discontinued, but it goes to 60 lb with the harness. It comes in a 5-point and overhead shield version. The 5-point is pretty rare now.

Britax is coming out with a new seat in Sept/Oct (probably later, rather than sooner) which will go to 65 lb with the harness, called the Marathon. It will cost over $200.

Britax currently has available the Super Elite. It goes to 80 lb with the harness. It's a very large seat, and I suggest you try it out before you buy or make sure you get it from somewhere with a good return policy. Depending on how it meshes with the boosters, it might be a good option. It runs $200 as well. See pages.ivillage.com/momika...s/id2.html (The Traveler Plus uses the same shell as the Super Elite. She has 4 pages of pictures.) And here's another Super Elite page. www.angelfire.com/mi3/ter...elite.html

Robert also mentioned the Britax Laptop. It's a unique "seat". See these three pages for more. www.angelfire.com/wa3/isakswings/lt.html pages.ivillage.com/momika...s/id7.html and justhandy.com/laptop.htm

Finally, if it does become necessary to put someone in the front seat, put the largest child there in a correct fitting booster and slide the seat as far back as it will go. The back seat is safer, but an appropriately restrained child in the front is still safer than an improperly restrained one in the back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC