convertible car seat

J

jodib

convertible car seat

I need help! I'm about to purchase convert. car seat for my son (10 mo.'s, 20 lbs., 27 in.). I've been researching them all- the only thing I'm sure of is Britax are best, and I can't afford them! Any suggestions?

ADS
C

Caviller

Welcome!

Britax is certainly not the best for everyone. Whether it is worth the extra money or not varies with each parent, vehicle and child. Some parents do find that it has features that make it easy to use. On the other hand, there are high-end models from other brands (like the Evenflo Triumph for one example) that have many of the same features.

Depending on your child and vehicle, you may find another brand may fit better and that will mean it is safer for you. Used properly, the best seat is one that fits your child, your vehicle and one you use correctly each time.

I own a Roundabout and I do like it. I also own a Cosco Triad and like it, too. I have owned and used a number of other models, many I like and some I don't. I think you will find that parents have certain complaints about every model. For example, the cover on my Roundabout faded very quickly. The seatbelt lockoffs are flimsy and don't hold well and the recline mechanism is not very sturdy (I have an older version of the Roundabout). The Roundabout cost almost 4 times as much as the Triad. The Roundabout's rear facing weight limit is only 30 pounds, compared to 35 on my Triad.

On the Triad, the straps tend to twist, though not as much as some other Cosco products. The Triad does not install as tightly rear-facing as my Roundabout and lacks a tether that can be used rear facing. The harness adjustment on the Triad is more difficult to use, and can be hard to reach rear-facing. The tether can be difficult to adjust.

None of these issues are serious to me, and both seats install adequately in all our vehicles. I am satisfied that both are very safe and have no problems using either one. There are a number of other nice convertibles, like the Evenflo Triumph, Century Accel and Graco Comfort Sport. The Alpha Omega is also a reasonable option, though it also generates some typical complaints from parents. I highly suggest you look at all of them, and see which best suits your needs. Make sure you get a good return policy in case you find you don't like it, or in case it doesn't fit well. Good luck!

Darren

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC