Commuter cars

rachelandtyke

We are coming to the point where we will need to replace both our vehicles. DH just needs a commuter car, but we are thinking we'd like one that could fit our whole family if needed. I suspect that DS would be able to 5 step in whatever we get (otherwise he'd be in a low back for just a bit longer) and DD2 could be in either high back (what she usually rides in) or a low back. DD1 is short adult height. DH is tall, and I am average. Any suggestions on what we should look for used?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
We are coming to the point where we will need to replace both our vehicles. DH just needs a commuter car, but we are thinking we'd like one that could fit our whole family if needed. I suspect that DS would be able to 5 step in whatever we get (otherwise he'd be in a low back for just a bit longer) and DD2 could be in either high back (what she usually rides in) or a low back. DD1 is short adult height. DH is tall, and I am average. Any suggestions on what we should look for used?

These are still good choices: https://carseatblog.com/48133/2019-2020-update-safest-affordable-used-cars-and-economy-new-cars/

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Yeah, we splurged on a new model Honda Insight last year for DS to learn to drive. If it's in the budget, a '19 or '20 LX or DX model are discounted and have top scores in all crash tests and the necessary safety features standard. It's a really nice car, the only drawback so far is it's really low to get in and out.

sirrahn

We really like our Toyota iA. They keep changing the name of it - it was a Scion, then Toyota, and now they've added Yaris to the name. I don't really know what's up with that, and just to add to it, it's really a rebadged Mazda 2 which isn't sold in the US.

It's a great little commuter car though. Fun to drive, decently roomy (we've had 3 friendly teens in the back seat a couple of times), and easily gets 40+mpg. It has good safety features and crash tests. The stock headlights were horrible, but that was a pretty easy at home bulb replacement.

I initially drove it when we were trying to decide what to replace our old Sienna with, and then when we bought the CX-9, DH took it on his 40+ mi commute, and now it's our 17yr old's car. We like it so much that DH then got a CX-3 which is almost identical interior-wise. We joke that Toyota ended up selling us 2 Mazdas! GL finding something!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC