Finding a Good Rear-Facing Tether Point for Honda Odyssey's 2005-2011

lovinwaves

Finding a Good Rear-Facing Tether Point for Honda Odyssey's 2005-2010(please see below for tethering in the newly remodeled 2011)
BK_TRNAV_34FRONT.jpg

This information only pertains to carseats that allow tethering while rear-facing. Check your carseat manual to see if your restraint allows this before proceeding. Honda has supplied anchor locations for tethering for forward-facing, but not for rear-facing. Therefore, you must find an adequate place to tether your rear-facing seat. Below you will find step by step instructions and photos on some acceptable rear-facing tethering points in the Honda Odyssey (2005-newer).

There are two rear-facing methods for tethering. One is called the "Swedish Method", in which the carseat is tethered toward the front of the vehicle eliminating rearward rotation during rebound or rear impact. The other method is called "Australian Method" in which the carseat is tethered toward the rear of the vehicle. In that method you would use your Odyssey's preinstalled tethering point on the back of the seat or cargo area (for third row). Of the two methods the Swedish Method is most preferred. I will be demonstrating the Swedish Tethering Method on a 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L.

**Tethering Rear-facing Carseats in Second Row**

On all models of the Odyssey you have the option to slide the second row Passenger Captains chair to the middle position (some models may require removal of "Stowable 2nd Row PlusOne(TM) Seat ", or "Center Console" first). A child in this seat would be positioned very safely because they would be in the middle of the van, therefore better protected in the event of a side-impact crash.

The following photo shows a Britax Marathon tethered rear-facing to the leg of the foldable front tray table between the driver and passenger seats. This is acceptable because the tray table is not connected to the front passenger's seat but instead is bolted down separately to the floor of the vehicle. This method will work for a carseat installed on the passenger side Captain's chair in the middle position (as stated above) or in the outboard passenger side position. This method is NOT acceptable for a carseat installed in the Driver's side captain's chair.

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

First, lift the tray table to locate the "hole" in which the d-ring extender strap will be threaded through. It also may be easier to go ahead and slide the front passenger captain's chair forward to allow easier access to the tray table.

DSC00025.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

Then thread the soft end of the extender strap through the hole. This will take some patience and meticulously placed fingers to thread. Then thread the D-ring through the end as shown in photos. The actual piece of plastic covered metal that the extender strap wraps around is about 2-3 inches long and about 1/2 inch wide.

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

Finally, you can go ahead and clip the Tether Strap (from your carseat) to the D-ring and remove the slack. The tether must be tight, but not extremely tight like your seatbelt or LATCH install. You can roll, or fold up the excess slack and place in the pocket (Britax Models) located on the back of the seat. Britax promotes what is called "Bracing". The front Driver and Passenger's seats may be reclined or adjusted rearward so the carseat braces against them. This will essentially give you the benefits of the "Australian Method" of tethering by limiting the downward rotation of the carseat during a frontal crash.

DSC00028.jpg

And this picture shows it tethered to the front driver's seat. You will use this tethering point for a car seat in the second row behind the driver only. Wrap around the plastic under the seat. You will feel a bar back behind the plastic as well. Just wrap on around that.

26911_370281249413_612249413_4867501_6732292_n.jpg

**Tethering Rear-facing Carseats in the Third Row**​

*Note these instructions and photos illustrate an install with second row captains chairs in outboard positions

There are three acceptable locations to tether rear-facing in the third row of the Odyssey.

--Middle Position--

In these photos you will see under the "Eighth Seat" is a black bar attached to the floor of the vehicle. Slide the extender strap under the bar and thread the D-ring.

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

This photo shows a Britax Marathon correctly installed rear-facing using LATCH, and Tether with D-ring extender strap in the middle third row position.

DSC00043.jpg

--Driver's Side Outboard Position--

In the photo you will see that the outboard driver's side seat is connected to a black bar. Slide the extender strap under the bar and thread the D-ring as shown. This maybe a little difficult, but it can be done with some patience.

DSC00038.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

--Passenger Side Outboard Position--

There is a black bar attached to the vehicle's floor underneath the passenger side second row captains chair. Slide the extender strap under the bar and thread the d-ring as shown.

DSC00041.jpg

Finding a Good Rear-Facing Tether Point for a Honda Odyssey 2011

This video shows how to tether in a 2011 year model. This only demonstrates tethering on the front passenger seat. Please use caution when removing the large plastic piece. You may also try taking your Odyssey to your local Honda Dealership and see if a service technician can remove it for you.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvz3tHFq0xI&feature=player_embedded#"]YouTube - CarseatBlog.com: Rear-facing tethering in 2011 Honda Odyssey[/ame]

Last edited:
ADS

twokidstwodogs

Re: Finding a Good Rear-Facing Tether Point for Honda Odyssey's 2005-Newer

That's fabulous, Melissa! Thank you!

(Our RF RA is currently untethered in our 05 Odyssey (passenger side captain's chair). We had it tethered to the seat until we learned here that Britax has nixed that. I've asked DH to try the tray table; with these instructions, it will be a snap.)

Dillipop

Lovin- in the third row, could you bypass the d-ring and tether directly to those metal parts, or are they too thick to get the hook on to them?

lovinwaves

Lovin- in the third row, could you bypass the d-ring and tether directly to those metal parts, or are they too thick to get the hook on to them?

That is a great idea, however they are too thick. I am going to double check though since you mentioned it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dillipop

Just thought I'd ask...I'm all for saving a step if at all possible...and obviously only if it's safe!

nfowife

Did you remove any of the plastic from the rear of the drivers/passenger front seats for the pics? Because in my 2007, the underneath rear of the seats is completely encased in plastic. You can't see the bars at all which is why it is so difficult to find a spot there. I will have to take a pic!

lovinwaves

Did you remove any of the plastic from the rear of the drivers/passenger front seats for the pics? Because in my 2007, the underneath rear of the seats is completely encased in plastic. You can't see the bars at all which is why it is so difficult to find a spot there. I will have to take a pic!

Actually No. I did not remove any plastic. I do know what you are saying about the encasing on the front two seats. That is why it is so hard to find a good rear-facing tethering point. I have actually not even tried to remove that plastic piece, which from just looking extends from seat track to seat track (if that makes sense). So basically it is ONE big piece of plastic to be removed. I suppose I could try to take it off and look for another place to tether, but to be honest with you for vanity reasons I wouldn't like the way the seat would look minus that big plastic piece. That is one thing I love about the Odyssey, is how they meticulously encased so much of the mechanics of the interior. Gives it a very clean, and well built look :)

I hope I answered your question :)

TXDani

Senior Community Member

Very well done Melissa. I love it! I am sure many Odyssey owners will benefit from this step by step demonstration. Thanks!

flash&zip

Oh, how I wish I had tried the tray location a month ago! I've lurked on this site occasionally, but had to join after running across this thread. Thank you so much for such a great demonstration.

I was searching for a tethering spot on my new Odyssey (we bought in November, and installed our rf Roundabout in December). I finally did pry the plastic trim off, found a metal bar for the D-ring, and got the trim back on. It was a little tough to do so delicately.

I do have a couple of concerns. We have the RA in the (2nd row) passenger side captain's seat inboard. It's braced against the front passenger seat. But with the RA being inboard, only half of the seat is braced. In a frontal collision do you think this would cause the seat to kind of twist since it's not fully braced by the front seat? Am I overthinking this? My second thing here concerns the install. I can't get the RA to be rock-solid. It has a side to side movement of maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch. This is with latch.

Any advice on these? Thanks!

lovinwaves

Oh, how I wish I had tried the tray location a month ago! I've lurked on this site occasionally, but had to join after running across this thread. Thank you so much for such a great demonstration.

I was searching for a tethering spot on my new Odyssey (we bought in November, and installed our rf Roundabout in December). I finally did pry the plastic trim off, found a metal bar for the D-ring, and got the trim back on. It was a little tough to do so delicately.

I do have a couple of concerns. We have the RA in the (2nd row) passenger side captain's seat inboard. It's braced against the front passenger seat. But with the RA being inboard, only half of the seat is braced. In a frontal collision do you think this would cause the seat to kind of twist since it's not fully braced by the front seat? Am I overthinking this? My second thing here concerns the install. I can't get the RA to be rock-solid. It has a side to side movement of maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch. This is with latch.

Any advice on these? Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to the Forum. I am so glad you found these instructions helpful.

I would start another thread in the "Carseat" Forum regarding the Roundabout being halfway braced. That is an excellent question, and I would be very curious to see what the Technicians on here say.

As long as your Roundabout does not move more than an inch from side to side then you are ok. If you still feel uncertain you can try to find a local CPS Tech in your area that may be able to help you with some technique ideas. You can also search this site for info on getting a good install using LATCH.

I am also very curious as what the seat looks like underneath, and what "bar" exactly you tethered to. As long as it is attached to a non-moving part then you are ok. If you wouldn't mind taking some photos and posting them that would be greatly appreciated. If you also have any photos of the Tethering point with the plastic off that would be awesome too!

-Melissa-

flash&zip

Melissa,

I will be happy to post some pictures of the tethering point, as soon as I can figure out how to do so! I've been going through the manage attachments below, but it keeps saying my file size is exceeding the limit. The picture I was going to post is only around 300 K. I've been searching through FAQ, but I must be dense or something. :p

I'll definitely start a thread about the RA being halfway braced.

Wineaux

Melissa,

I will be happy to post some pictures of the tethering point, as soon as I can figure out how to do so! I've been going through the manage attachments below, but it keeps saying my file size is exceeding the limit. The picture I was going to post is only around 300 K. I've been searching through FAQ, but I must be dense or something. :p

I'll definitely start a thread about the RA being halfway braced.

Go to www.photobucket.com and create an account there. You can upload your pictures there, they will be automatically resized into something manageable for a message board, and they will even give you the phpBB code to use on the message board as a simple copy and paste.

PS... It's the perfect place to host sig files too.

flash&zip

Okay, here's a picture of the passenger side with trim pulled off. The horizontal bar is welded to the frame. I think it would be possible to slide the strap under the frame (where that ridge is), but the bar was much easier. Please let me know what you think. It was really some work getting that trim off -- my husband informed me that we're using your method the next time we have to move seats in and out!

Image009.jpg

Oh, wow this picture is huge! If you don't mind, how do you resize them? I thought I did that in photobucket, but apparently not!

Thanks,
April

flash&zip

Hi Melissa,

I had no idea that little drawer was there, how fun! Yes, we have an EX-L. I was so jazzed when I found the coin holder -- any other little storage nooks?!

No, the bar does not move with the seat. However, it does make a difference where you have the front passenger seat because it pushes on the tether (because the tethering point is under the seat). That probably brings up a whole new issue now that I think about it! Anyway, we do leave the front seat in one position, and don't move the recline. I would say that the next time we move seats around, which will be next week, that we'll probably tether to the flip tray location. Does that hamper putting the flip tray down, and locking it into place?

lovinwaves

I would say that the next time we move seats around, which will be next week, that we'll probably tether to the flip tray location. Does that hamper putting the flip tray down, and locking it into place?

No, it does not hamper putting the tray down and locking in it position. The metal from the d-ring may slightly rub on the plastic. If you are worried about that (which I am a freak about my van), then just place a small piece of fabric or sock between the metal d-ring and plastic....Problem solved ;)

C

crek

Sorry if I missed it, but I've read so much that my mind is mush. Is there a way to put two rear facing Britax Boulevards in the captain's chairs in the second row of the 2006 Odyssey and have them both tethered? I get that I can put one seat behind the passenger (or on the Plus One?) and tether to the tray. How do I tether the one behind the driver side? Thanks in advance for any clarification!

Mom of one year old twin girls, 18 and 16 pounds.

C

crek

Thanks for the input. I might try to see if I can get that plastic piece off. It seems to me that putting them in the third row, rear facing, is very awkward -- but I might move them there when they hit 33 pounds and can forward face. Thank you again for all your helpful posts on the board.

rdangel

So I have tried to take the advice of some very wise people in this forum and am in the process of rear facing my Britax decathlon seats in the 2nd row.

My challenge is finding a RF tether point behind the drivers side seat.

Right now I have routed the tether under the captains chair to the latch point behind the seat. I dont think this is ideal. I could wrap the versa tether around the drivers seat area (see pictures).
Let me know if you have any ideas.

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician

They've changed their recommendations over the years, but I don't think that Britax currently allows tethering to a point under/behind the seat that your carseat is on.

I can't see any of your pictures, but is there a spot on the track for the drivers seat to use the versa tether? You just need to be careful that it doesn't interfere with moving the driver's seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC