Question I really need some help with my car seats and measurements please

AutumnGoddess

My husband and i have a 2006 Ford Focus ZX4. there is no room in the back at all. At the moment i have a Cosco Touriva made in 2006 (bought it may 2006) and a Graco Nautilus 3-1 that i bought last November 2008. My daughter turned 5 years old today but she is tiny for her age. around 39 inches tall and i think 35 lbs and shes the one who uses the Graco. My youngest is 3 years and 3 months old. I think around 37 inches or so and 25lbs i think and uses the cosco one. Im expecting a third child due April 1, 2010 and i was told to buy the Sunshine kids radian 65 which is cheaper then the 80 and that is what i am buying at the end no matter what. My problems are, it does not fit in a ford focus like other woman have told me on this site. i downloaded the pdf file and printed out the measurements right off sunshine kids website. its 17 inches across (Outside Width) and outside depth is 16 inches. the width is killing me because it does not fit in the middle of the back seat at all. I took out a measurement tape and when i measured it, it went past both car seats, and i thought it was supposed to be the thinnest and slimmest LOL it over laps both seat. the outside depth is fine its just the width part. My daughters Graco is freaking massive. I never thought about it until i got pregnant. Its huge, way too huge for any sedan.

My husband hates it but i spent alot of money on it. What are we supposed to do? The cosco one is cheap to me. it doesnt look like it was protect my daughter at all. But she is to me underwear for any booster or other seat.

My other question i have isnt a newborn safest in the middle of the back seat? if not is it okay to put the radian 65 on either side of the door? and if all 3 car seats still dont fit side by side with out it being lop sided what other car seats should i be buying for both my older children?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Radian is 17" at the shoulders, 14" at the base. Which may fit between the two seats. I'd put it next to the Touriva since it may puzzle better than next to the Nautilus.

The least protected person should go in the most protected location. That'd be your three year old. So the three year old in the middle, the baby outboard, and the five year old outboard. Rear facing is SO much safer than forward that it's perfectly fine having your baby behind a seat. Just make sure the Radian fits behind there for a newborn angle. You may need it in the middle just so you can get the seat reclined enough.

Check your three year old's shoulders, that they haven't gone over the top slot yet. Plus that seat has a 40 pound limit. You may need something new for the three year old very very soon. Or is that who the Radian is for? I may be a moron today. LOL If so I'd put the Radian in the middle for the three year old, the Touriva outboard for the baby, and the Nautilus outboard for the five year old.

Wendy

AutumnGoddess

The Radian is 17" at the shoulders, 14" at the base. Which may fit between the two seats. I'd put it next to the Touriva since it may puzzle better than next to the Nautilus.

The least protected person should go in the most protected location. That'd be your three year old. So the three year old in the middle, the baby outboard, and the five year old outboard. Rear facing is SO much safer than forward that it's perfectly fine having your baby behind a seat. Just make sure the Radian fits behind there for a newborn angle. You may need it in the middle just so you can get the seat reclined enough.

Check your three year old's shoulders, that they haven't gone over the top slot yet. Plus that seat has a 40 pound limit. You may need something new for the three year old very very soon. Or is that who the Radian is for? I may be a moron today. LOL If so I'd put the Radian in the middle for the three year old, the Touriva outboard for the baby, and the Nautilus outboard for the five year old.

Wendy

No sorry i dont think i explained my self right. The Graco Nautilus is the 5 year olds seat. the Cosco Touriva is my 3 year olds seat. the new baby will have a Radian 65. I need to put my 3 year old in the touriva to see how it looks and if she has passed the top slot or not. but she is tiny and has been 25lbs forever. she doesnt gain weight, she has a fast metabolism. she looks like she is 2 years old instead of 3 but thats just me when i look at her. Anyways, my pdf file says 16 outside depth, im looking at the printed pdf from sunshine kids website and its for the Radian 65. the inside depth is 13inches. Like i said before i dont have the car seat but i took out my Stanley Power lock measurement tape and i measured the Outside depth 17'' in the middle of the back seat. The Touriva is on the left behind the passenger and the Graco is behind the driver seat. Both seats are forward facing aswell. what im trying to say is that the 17'' is too wide. it over passes both car seats. the measurement tape touches over both car seats, meaning it wont fit in the middle and you cant put a rear facing car seat behind my back because i like reclining my seat back, i cant sit straight with a car. i have to recline and so does my husband. its super uncomfortable for the both of us to sit straight, i slouch alot and have scoliosis so sitting up straight hurts my back believe it or not. i did put the touriva earlier today rear facing and it still has no room for a car seat in the middle. and the touriva touches my seat.

I wanted to add that i weighed my kids and my 5 year old is 35.5lbs and my youngest who is 3 is 26.5 lbs
5 year old is i think 39-40 inches
and 3 year old is 34 inches i think. Not good with measurements lol

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For some reason I was thinking your three year old was 37 pounds. Sheesh.

Ok, the Touriva doesn't need a 45 degree angle, and it's fine if it gently touches your seat. So I'd do that rear facing for the three year old.

However, if she stays forward facing, my point is that the shoulders of the Radian won't be between the Touriva and Nautilus. Not for a few years, anyway. It'll be rear facing. So you need to see if there's 14" (I have a Radian, I've measured it, I have pictures of the measurements if you want, and honest it's 14" across the base) between the Touriva and the Nautilus, not 17". The Radian may not fit between the two front seats, though, in which case for a newborn it's not a good option. With a medical condition you may not be able to put your seat more upright, but your hubby may have to suck it up and have his seat upright for four months or so until your baby has more head control.

Otherwise you're looking at a couple of new seats. Maybe give the Radian to the five year old and buy the baby a Scenera, which is also narrow and fits newborns well. That may give you the room you need.

Wendy

AutumnGoddess

Can i ask why my 3 year old has to be Rear Facing instead of forward facing? My husband doesnt like the idea, i have brought it up maybe if she went rear facing there would be room and he said she is too old to be like that because her feet would be squashed up the seat and she wouldnt be able to look out. Kind of hard to feed a kid on the road like snacks if u cant see them. So are you saying also that i should have the baby behind my husband since he can go straighter on his seat, my 3 year old in the middle rear facing and my oldest forward facing behind me? Its too bad that radians are not sold in stores. only at some furniture stores and they are far. my husband doesnt want to go any where today to look at other car seats. Hes tired lol

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
At your 3 year old's weight and age, she is much safer rear-facing. Check out this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvyIv9QVRBE"]YouTube - Rear facing is safer[/ame]

The American Academy of Pediatricians recomends rear-facing to the limits of the seat because it is safest.

My 3 year old (38 lbs.) is rear-facing and I hand her snacks all the time. She has long legs but just folds them up, she doesn't mind a bit. There are actually more leg injuries forward-facing than rear-facing. And she actually has a BETTER view out the window than my forward-facing 5 year old-- she can see out the back window as well as the side!

And yes, it would probably give you more room to fit seats in in your particular configuration.

Now, if you choose to have her forward-facing, please at least make sure that the seat is top tethered, which can reduce the head's forward movement and therefore decrease the risk of injury.

AutumnGoddess

At your 3 year old's weight and age, she is much safer rear-facing. Check out this video:

YouTube - Rear facing is safer

The American Academy of Pediatricians recomends rear-facing to the limits of the seat because it is safest.

My 3 year old (38 lbs.) is rear-facing and I hand her snacks all the time. She has long legs but just folds them up, she doesn't mind a bit. There are actually more leg injuries forward-facing than rear-facing. And she actually has a BETTER view out the window than my forward-facing 5 year old-- she can see out the back window as well as the side!

And yes, it would probably give you more room to fit seats in in your particular configuration.

Now, if you choose to have her forward-facing, please at least make sure that the seat is top tethered, which can reduce the head's forward movement and therefore decrease the risk of injury.

Thanks for the video. I will watch it with hubby in a little while.. And i will post pics of my back seat. I put the Graco behind my seat forward facing and the touriva rear facing in the middle. it looks like there is room for a radian 65 behind my husband and still room for him to be comfortable while driving.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Touriva looks great. Width wise there's plenty of room I think for rear facing Radian. However, I don't think it'll fit front to back behind the driver's seat. But I think the Touriva will, then you can try the Radian in the middle. You might want to do a seatbelt install rather than LATCH outboard so you can move the Touriva a bit closer to the door. Same with the Nautilus on the other side.

If your three year old likes you can recline the Touriva a bit either with a pool noodle or a towel rolled at the seat bight. That'll give a bit more recline. If not that's as upright as I'd go, and it looks good. :)

Wendy

AutumnGoddess

Ok im a little confused now. I thought you said it looks good and there is enough room. then you said rear facing there isnt for a radian lol. You ladies told me that the 3 year old should be rear facing because of her height and weight. and that she should be in the middle not near the car door. so thats what i did. if there is enough room for a radian behind the driver then what is the problem? Im just a little more confused now then i was earlier. the touriva has the seat belt on but the graco has the seat belt and the latch all hooked up.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ok im a little confused now. I thought you said it looks good and there is enough room.

Yes, the Touriva looks good.

then you said rear facing there isnt for a radian lol.

Because a newborn requires a 45 degree angle, and the Radian has a much taller shell than a Touriva. Imagine laying your Touriva back to 45 degrees (it's around 30 now) and tacking on about four inches. See how it won't fit behind the driver? It'll hit the seat. At least if that's the normal driving position.

You ladies told me that the 3 year old should be rear facing because of her height and weight. and that she should be in the middle not near the car door. so thats what i did.

Actually, if you're going to have your two youngest rear facing that puts the five year old in the position of least protected because she's forward facing. I'd put your three year old in the middle forward facing because she's younger and more delicate than the five year old, but rear facing the five year old becomes the least protected. Rear facing is that much safer that you've just protected the three year old. So the middle isn't necessary. It's not bad, but if you just had those two kids and you were fine putting them middle and outboard I'd try the five year old in the middle first. But I also wouldn't bat an eye at each outboard. IF you just had those two.

There's the Ideal situation and then there's Real Life. Things like seats won't install well next to one another, kids don't sit well next to one another, stuff like that. Ideally with a newborn, rear facing three year old, and forward facing five year old you'd put the five year old in the middle and the two rear facers outboard. However if you can't get the Radian in behind one of the front seats then you'd have to put it in the middle, the five and three year olds on either side. That's real life. Not as ideal as it could be, but not unsafe.

We do get to the point where we start splitting hairs between safe, safER, and safEST. At 25 pounds and tiny your three year old is much safER rear facing. Your newborn is arguably safER rear facing in any position than your safe forward facing five year old. So we give the five year old the safEST position. Make sense? hehe

if there is enough room for a radian behind the driver then what is the problem? Im just a little more confused now then i was earlier. the touriva has the seat belt on but the graco has the seat belt and the latch all hooked up.

You can't do seatbelt and LATCH. Do you mean the seatbelt and top tether? That's acceptable. Or LATCH and that's it (lower anchors and top tether). You can't do the seatbelt and the lower anchors together.

If there's enough room for the Radian to fit at a newborn angle behind the driver's seat then you're golden and I wouldn't change a thing (other than add a newborn). Everyone would be quite safe in that situation, and it's probably easier to put in the newborn outboard than in the middle, since the three year old can probably do some of her own, and if not the five year old can leave over and help. I'm just worried that there's not enough room for a Radian at a newborn angle behind the driver's seat.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What she's saying is that there is NOT room for the Radian to rear-face behind the driver, but there may be in the middle. If you put the Radian in the middle and the Touriva next to it, both rear-facing, with the forward-facing seat on the other side, that is what she's saying may work. The Radian is very long front to back and tends to be very reclined as well. And if you'll be using it for a newborn you'll need full recline anyway. If you have two rear-facing children and one seat is in the middle, it's best for the youngest child to go in the middle. Ideally the forward-facing seat would be in the middle, but that's just not always (usually) practical. Really it doesn't matter so much where they are sat, as that they are in the safest car seat possible (rear-facing to the limits, harnessed until an acceptable booster age and weight, etc.)

AutumnGoddess

Yes, the Touriva looks good.

Because a newborn requires a 45 degree angle, and the Radian has a much taller shell than a Touriva. Imagine laying your Touriva back to 45 degrees (it's around 30 now) and tacking on about four inches. See how it won't fit behind the driver? It'll hit the seat. At least if that's the normal driving position.

Actually, if you're going to have your two youngest rear facing that puts the five year old in the position of least protected because she's forward facing. I'd put your three year old in the middle forward facing because she's younger and more delicate than the five year old, but rear facing the five year old becomes the least protected. Rear facing is that much safer that you've just protected the three year old. So the middle isn't necessary. It's not bad, but if you just had those two kids and you were fine putting them middle and outboard I'd try the five year old in the middle first. But I also wouldn't bat an eye at each outboard. IF you just had those two.

There's the Ideal situation and then there's Real Life. Things like seats won't install well next to one another, kids don't sit well next to one another, stuff like that. Ideally with a newborn, rear facing three year old, and forward facing five year old you'd put the five year old in the middle and the two rear facers outboard. However if you can't get the Radian in behind one of the front seats then you'd have to put it in the middle, the five and three year olds on either side. That's real life. Not as ideal as it could be, but not unsafe.

We do get to the point where we start splitting hairs between safe, safER, and safEST. At 25 pounds and tiny your three year old is much safER rear facing. Your newborn is arguably safER rear facing in any position than your safe forward facing five year old. So we give the five year old the safEST position. Make sense? hehe

You can't do seatbelt and LATCH. Do you mean the seatbelt and top tether? That's acceptable. Or LATCH and that's it (lower anchors and top tether). You can't do the seatbelt and the lower anchors together.

If there's enough room for the Radian to fit at a newborn angle behind the driver's seat then you're golden and I wouldn't change a thing (other than add a newborn). Everyone would be quite safe in that situation, and it's probably easier to put in the newborn outboard than in the middle, since the three year old can probably do some of her own, and if not the five year old can leave over and help. I'm just worried that there's not enough room for a Radian at a newborn angle behind the driver's seat.

Wendy

I already know Rear Facing is safer for the 3 year old and that is why its rear facing. I did show you the pics. Your the one who said put the 3 year old in the middle since she is the less protected one and i did that. i think you just confuse me alot and i dont mean anything bad about it, just how you type i dont understand you. you say one thing and then another. I dont have the radian, there is no store that sells it near by so i can look at it and i dont know what a 45 degree angle is. i have to see it my self and install it. Again only reason the touriva is in the middle because you told me to put it there. I put the Graco behind me, thats for my 5 year old. the cosco is my 3 year old.

no i did the latch on the anchors, the belt and the top teather because its loose when i just use the anchors. unless its fine for it to move around Left to Right. then i will just put the anchors on and remove the seat belt. Thanks for letting me know that.

AutumnGoddess

What she's saying is that there is NOT room for the Radian to rear-face behind the driver, but there may be in the middle. If you put the Radian in the middle and the Touriva next to it, both rear-facing, with the forward-facing seat on the other side, that is what she's saying may work. The Radian is very long front to back and tends to be very reclined as well. And if you'll be using it for a newborn you'll need full recline anyway. If you have two rear-facing children and one seat is in the middle, it's best for the youngest child to go in the middle. Ideally the forward-facing seat would be in the middle, but that's just not always (usually) practical. Really it doesn't matter so much where they are sat, as that they are in the safest car seat possible (rear-facing to the limits, harnessed until an acceptable booster age and weight, etc.)

Okay thanks, i understood you. I just like people to just be clear and get down with what they are trying to say instead of going around and around. I cant really do anything at the moment because again, i have no baby here yet and no radian to install so i can see how it looks. If my husband can sit straight with out reclining so much and still be comfortable to drive then the radian can stay behind him. if not than its moving to the middle. Thanks.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Some people are like that. Sorry I confuse you! There are some people here and on other boards who confuse the heck out of me, even though I know they're trying to be clear.

You can't use the lower anchors and the seatbelt. I find the Nautilus is easier with the seatbelt than LATCH. So I'd ditch the lower anchors and just do a seatbelt installation. Plus the top tether.

I was just going to say that maybe there's someone here who can meet with you and help you out, but I see you're in Tacoma and I'm in Seattle. So that'd be me! LOL Maybe in person I'd be less muddy. Anyway, I'm not doing checks as present because I'm basically on maternity leave, but your baby isn't due for a while. My Radian is being borrowed out, otherwise I'd suggest we get together and play and see what works. If you come up to Bellevue at all Merry Go Round has the XT in stock, so you can see the Radian. When you see it in person I think you'll understand a lot of our concerns about rear facing angles and size front to back. It's a large seat front to back, especially for a newborn.

I don't know of anyone else in the area that has a Radian of any sort. But if you find a 65, an 80, or an XT in stock then you can try any of them, they're all the same size. Then you can go online and find a price or pattern you like if you want.

Someplace like Merry Go Round, Buy Buy Baby, USA Baby, any boutique or high end mom and pop baby retailer is more likely to have a Radian in stock. Let your fingers do the walking and see if there's someone around. Walmart, Target, BRU won't. Though I believe for Walmart and Target if they have it online you can return it to their store if it doesn't work.

Wendy

AutumnGoddess

There is a post on here that sends you to the amazon website for the car seat.org, and they are selling it for $205 with free shipping. its the cheapest i seen and i probably end up buying it there. I read the manual and yes it has to be 45 degree angle. But at the same time it is the only car seat that is the slimmest i ever seen. and our ford is too small in the back. At the moment we cant afford to get a new car or even trade it in. Does that merry go all around have a website? I never been down that area. my husband is in the army and i dont drive or know how lol. Long story, i have anxiety. so he has to take me over the weekend when he isnt working.

Just wanted to add i called Merry go round and they dont sell them, you have to special order them. She also said there sold out by special order as well and they dont know when they are getting more.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
http://www.merrygoroundkids.com/

Huh. When I was there last (admittedly it was a few months ago), they had an XT in stock. Along with a Frontier, Boulevard, Roundabout, Clek boosters, Safeguard Go, basically a lot of what you don't see in the "normal" stores. They were out of Recaros when I was there, though. So I guess their stock is dependent. But that's actually the only place I've seen an XT in real life.

Wendy

AutumnGoddess

Well the lady said they never have Radians in stock and that they need to special order them but there out of stock in the where house or something. and they dont know when they are getting more. Thanks though

nmb

ANother option for you, since you will need 1 carseat RF behind one of the adult seats, is to put the 3 yr old into the Radian when you get it, installed at a more upright (about 30 degree) angle, so it'll take up less room front-to-back, and put the newborn into the Touriva (which has a shorter shell) at a 45 degree angle. The newborn in the Touriva would be much more likely to fit behind the driver, than a newborn in a Radian.:thumbsup:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
ANother option for you, since you will need 1 carseat RF behind one of the adult seats, is to put the 3 yr old into the Radian when you get it, installed at a more upright (about 30 degree) angle, so it'll take up less room front-to-back, and put the newborn into the Touriva (which has a shorter shell) at a 45 degree angle. The newborn in the Touriva would be much more likely to fit behind the driver, than a newborn in a Radian.:thumbsup:

The only problems with that are that the Radian is very difficult to get more upright than 40-45 degrees in most cars, because of the way the rear-facing boot is designed, and that I'm not sure how a Touriva would fit/tighten on a newborn, while we know that the Radian fits many newborns well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC