Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Community > Carseat Chat

Notices

Carseat Chat Introductions and Miscellaneous Child Passenger Safety Topics and Chat. Discuss Ratings, Laws, News, Etc. No Off-topic Discussions!

Carseat Chat is sponsored by Kids-N-Cribs.com

Old 08-04-2009, 12:06 AM   #1
LISmama810
Admin - CPS Technician

LISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire
WTH is a six-point harness?

This is from an article on Pampers' website:

Quote:
Route the seatbelt through the forward-facing belt path. Convertible seats have four types of harnesses:

Five-point harness. It has five straps: two at the shoulder, two at the hips, and one at the crotch.

Six-point harness. There are two straps each at the shoulders, hips, and crotch.

T-shield. This is a padded T-shaped or triangular shield, attached to shoulder straps, that goes across the child's chest.

Overhead shield. This padded, traylike shield swings down around the child.
(Emphasis mine.)

Lots of other gems to be found in that article, too.

I discovered it because I saw a "car seat tips from Pampers!" commercial today. The tips were to read the manual (showing a seat with toys hanging from it), and if you can't figure out how to install it, "take it to your car dealership or a fire station."

So I went on their website to see what other great ideas they had. (Type in "car seat" to bring up a couple more winners.)

I have sent an email.

But anyway, is there really such a thing as a six-point harness? I can't for the life of me figure out what they're talking about.

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:10 AM   #2
ketchupqueen
CPST and ketchup snob

ketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expert
Re: WTH is a six-point harness?

Uh, didn't Britax once have a 6 point harness on something, like something funky with the crotch strap? But those are not very good explainations...

Food allergies or restrictions? There's a support group for that.
ketchupqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
BeckC
CPS Technician

BeckC IS a CPS Know-It-All!BeckC IS a CPS Know-It-All!BeckC IS a CPS Know-It-All!BeckC IS a CPS Know-It-All!BeckC IS a CPS Know-It-All!BeckC IS a CPS Know-It-All!BeckC IS a CPS Know-It-All!

A 6 pt harness basically has two crotch straps that run along each inner thigh.

Pic

I've never heard of one on a US seat, although I think I remember hearing about on in another country.

Approved to adopt Baby 2 and waiting for a match!
BeckC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
UlrikeDG
Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus

UlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Just like they say: "There are two straps each at the shoulders, hips, and crotch." So, it looks like a 5-point, except the crotch strap is split into an inverted "V". It's a popular style in Australia, IIRC, where they're concerned that a single, centered crotch strap might squish the genitals in a crash. You can see images of 6-point racing harnesses and child restraints here. The only US model that I'm aware of is the discontinued Britax Galaxy (which was originally an Aussie model).

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
Just click the symbol in the lower left-hand corner
of the post. Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe,
SPAM-free zone!
UlrikeDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
LISmama810
Admin - CPS Technician

LISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckC View Post
A 6 pt harness basically has two crotch straps that run along each inner thigh.
Guess that would take care of the "squishing the crotch" issue.

Edit: Cross-posting.

Well, you learn something new every day. Although I hope not many parents turn to Pampers for their car seat advice. Sheesh.
LISmama810 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:17 AM   #6
BudgieStew
Senior Community Member

BudgieStew is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorBudgieStew is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Have no idea if they are used in child car seats but they are used in race cars( ie. NASCAR).
Not sure if it is standard safety equipment or an optional one over the 5 point harness. I watch NASCAR and noticed my favorite driver was using one earlier this season when other years he was using just the 5 point.

edit posting at the same time....
BudgieStew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
The Bjorns
Carseat Crazy

The Bjorns is a popular Car-Seat.org writer

Take the seat to a dealer to install it correctly?! On what planet??? Geesh I used to work at a Saturn dealership and no one there knew anything about car seats--including me! (pre-kid days) When I bought my current car I loved messing with the salespeople by trying out my seat and insisting it be installed in the center. Most car salespeople couldn't figure out why I would want to do that or even find the tether!

Unreal.

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!