4th tether anchor installed in 02 Caravan.

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
I went to the dealership to have a 4th anchor installed in my van.

Part Number: 05012007-AB

This is what they put in as per Chryslers instructions...

ta1.jpg

ta2.jpg

ta3.jpg

ta4.jpg

ta5.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Hmm... :scratcheshead: that's interesting. Looks a bit funky to me, but what do I really know? :shrug-shoulders: You've seen my photos of our '99 Caravan, right? (Anchors are bolted to the floor.) I know, though, that the Caravans changed in '01, so mine are not necessarily any indication of what yours should be.

Are you concerned about them?

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
I dont know if im worried.

Its attatched to the bolt that holds the seat belt buckle.

Its straight from Chrysler.

Im going to wait and see what others think.

Its not like its holding the seat in place, KWIM.

Pixels

It's attached to where the seat belts attach. If it's strong enough to hold the seatbelts, it's strong enough to hold the tether. I'm not worried about overloading that part, either. Any extra force from the tether is going to be less force on the seatbelt. Plus, that seatbelt anchor point is strong enough to hold two seatbelts, two adults. You're replacing at least one of those adults with a child+carseat.

swtgi1982

I went to the dealership to have a 4th anchor installed in my van.

That is odd, my van looks just like your seat, and mine is an 01. It has tether anchors on all three seats on that bench. The ones for the out board seating positions are real close to the handle to remove the seat, but are there. Yours being newer should have it as well. They look just like the one showing for the middle seating position. As of 2001 I was told Dodge put them on all rear seating positions (tether anchors) so yours should have it too. I will take a picture of mine in a few minutes and post it for you to see. Since my seat is exactly the same as yours and they are the same exact part numbers (the seat that is from 2001 - around 2007) do not quote me on the end date. I am not for sure. We thought our seat was broke and went to price it and a friend of mine who works at a dealer told me this.

unityco

If it's strong enough to hold the seatbelts, it's strong enough to hold the tether.

The problem I have with this argument, is if we say that in this case, how can we in good conscience advise "do-it-yourselfers" otherwise? There's been a few examples of people making their own FF tethers to seat belt stalks, or seat legs - both of which should be strong enough to hold a FF tether. In this case, it's a manufacturer-approved solution, but it's been pointed out before that even these approved after-market tethers aren't actually crash-tested - just calculated to be within safety margins. How can we stop the "it's strong enough for..." argument from being more broadly applied?

Just a general observation, not directly pointed at you, pixels. :)

crunchierthanthou

That is odd, my van looks just like your seat, and mine is an 01. It has tether anchors on all three seats on that bench.

2001 Chryslers were different. They had 5 TAs and LATCH available for every rear position (either 1 center or 2 outboard for the 3rd row)- a sort of holy grail for LATCH. It was the first year with LATCH and the only year that was like that.

ontariomama

That is odd, my van looks just like your seat, and mine is an 01. It has tether anchors on all three seats on that bench. The ones for the out board seating positions are real close to the handle to remove the seat, but are there. Yours being newer should have it as well. They look just like the one showing for the middle seating position. As of 2001 I was told Dodge put them on all rear seating positions (tether anchors) so yours should have it too. I will take a picture of mine in a few minutes and post it for you to see. Since my seat is exactly the same as yours and they are the same exact part numbers (the seat that is from 2001 - around 2007) do not quote me on the end date. I am not for sure. We thought our seat was broke and went to price it and a friend of mine who works at a dealer told me this.

I'm pretty sure that 2001 was the only year that the 3rd row has three top tethers. I have a 2005, and there is only 1 in the back row (middle). 2001 was a good year ;)

Someone can correct me if I am wrong :)

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Assuming the bolt is attached to bolt for the seatbelt which then I'm ok with. But why the strap? Tether straps on carseats are usually long enough to reach under the seat and hooked directly onto the metal loop itself. Why the strap? Which makes me a bit leary about the whole set up. But let me look up something because I thought I heard about this in another case before.

PM Allport please to see what she says.

Maggie

I'm pretty sure that 2001 was the only year that the 3rd row has three top tethers. I have a 2005, and there is only 1 in the back row (middle). 2001 was a good year ;)

Someone can correct me if I am wrong :)

Nope, you're right. 01 was the only year to have tethers in all rear seating positions.

Pixels

The problem I have with this argument, is if we say that in this case, how can we in good conscience advise "do-it-yourselfers" otherwise? There's been a few examples of people making their own FF tethers to seat belt stalks, or seat legs - both of which should be strong enough to hold a FF tether. In this case, it's a manufacturer-approved solution, but it's been pointed out before that even these approved after-market tethers aren't actually crash-tested - just calculated to be within safety margins. How can we stop the "it's strong enough for..." argument from being more broadly applied?

Just a general observation, not directly pointed at you, pixels. :)

Isn't this the exact argument that is why an unused seatbelt from the row behind can be used as a temporary tether point? Approved tether anchors, whether original or approved after market, are not crash tested. Neither are seatbelts (other than the driver and front passenger). There are minimum pull strengths for each. The minimum for seatbelts far exceeds the minimum for tether anchors.

My problem with DIYs is that things like a seat leg aren't usually small enough to get the tether clip onto, and then the DIYer starts getting creative. When the words "jury rig" enter the equation is when there's a problem. It's the strength of whatever creative adapter the DIY came up with that I question. In this case, the adapter is manufacturer supplied and approved, so presumably strong enough.

unityco

Isn't this the exact argument that is why an unused seatbelt from the row behind can be used as a temporary tether point?

Yes, you're right, of course. :eek: I just hate the way we can seem to be inconsistent on this issue. (Kind of like the "ALWAYS follow your manual, except for RF height" thing. :eek:)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Based on another thread which had a Caravan which was retrofitted with another tether anchor similarly, the strap used is actually one that is used in some Dodge pick-up trucks as part of the tether anchor assembly. The 3rd row bench is also the same bench as some of their pick-up trucks.

I don't recall if this is mounted the same way as the one in the other thread or not, but I know that there was a dealership in ON who went to Chrysler engineering to find out how to get another tether anchor added to a Caravan. If this is following the same instructions, then both the part and the location it is anchored have been tested by the manufacturer and engineering has been consulted, so I would have no concerns about using this tether point. :thumbsup:

Beckers

I have an 02 Caravan too and I'm so excited you were able to get this done! I've been wonder about it for a while since seeing these pics in the manual re: vans with no seats except the front seats.

100_7114.jpg

100_7116.jpg

I wonder why you can't just thread it through the unused seat brackets like they are in the pics :whistle:

U

Unregistered

How would one go about getting this done to their van?

I am in need of another tether anchor in my 06 caravan, and have been told by the dealership it is not possible. I have 4 kids FF, and need another anchor.

Thanks.

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
Call Chrysler Camada and tell them you need a 4th tether. They will look up your VIN and see if one can be installed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC