New carseat for ford focus 2 door hatchback car. (long, sorry)

Cryssy Jane

So my god son rides in a rf (YES!!! :D She finally flipped him back around) maxi cosi priori. Mom officially does not like the maxi RF. It is a very tough install in the center of the back seat, I did get it within the 1 inch movement at the belt path, but it seems like such a flimsy install. She bought the seat to replace the companion with O grew out of that. She drives a 2002 ford focus 2 door hatchback. It does have latch. She seems really interested in RF top tethering, which is why we were talking about trying my RA in her car.

O is 16 months, roughly 26 pounds, with a torso of about 12 inches, I'll measure tomorrow and see how much he's grown and if it's in torso.

We're going to play carseat shuffle next week to see what all fits, but I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

The seats I have are:
1 rn 65
1 rn 80
1 RA
1 GN
1 evenflo big kid LBB
1 keyfit (obviously too big for this)

She has:
1 priori
1 all in one or 3 in 1, something like that. Absolutely did not fit RF in her car, tightest install still left 2-3 inches of wiggle at the belt path.

I don't have a ton of seats anymore... downsized a little, so I'm wondering if anyone had any other suggestions to try. Or I live in Bellevue/seattle area if anyone wanted to have a carseat play date to help out. Little man :love: RF and has only RF in my car, mom flipped him because she finally sat down and watched the RF crash test video on youtube and agreed it was safer. Price wise, she's looking to stay in the $150-200 range, she said she could go a little above if it was going to last a while, as this one has only stuck around for maybe 8 months.

ADS

kathysr98

Does she need lots of leg room in the front? I have a four door version of the same car. I haven't tried any of the seats you have, but I'm 5'3" and DD's Recaro Signo is behind the driver's seat in my car with about 2" to spare. I've also had my Uptown behind the driver's seat. I think there was about the same amount of room behind it as the Signo. I haven't put any other RF seats in my car, so I'm not tons of help, but I'm sure you'll find something that works. Good luck & congrats on getting him turned back around!

Cryssy Jane

mom is 5'10" and dad is 6'2" so leg room in the front is needed. She has tried to put a seat behind the front seats but it leaves no leg room for either her or bf.

Mommy2Marcus

Have you tried the EFTA? I have found that this seat fits really well RF in my tiny 2 door Subaru Impreza while still leaving me plently of room or for any other passenger.

As for other seats to try, I would more than likely skip the RA b/c it is outgrown early RF & he might be really close to outgrowing it now. I see you could not get a good install with the 3-in-1, did you try it with the base removed? This might help get a better install.

One other thought might be to try the TrueFit. It might fit.

If the RA fits, then the MA should fit. Just remember that at 16 months he does not need the full 45 degree recline. So that might help.

Good Luck. Sorry I was not much more help.

kathysr98

Yep, I agree with the Evenflo Triumph Advance. I have one for DD behind the driver's seat in a Corolla (my best friend's car). My friend is about 5'9" and has enough leg room, and I'd say the Corolla & Focus are similar in size, although the Focus has been MUCH easier to get seats installed in. I'd try the EFTA in the middle position, that way Mom or Dad should be able to drive.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC