Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Community > Carseat Chat

Notices

Carseat Chat Introductions and Miscellaneous Child Passenger Safety Topics and Chat. Discuss Ratings, Laws, News, Etc. No Off-topic Discussions!

Carseat Chat is sponsored by Kids-N-Cribs.com

Old 06-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Mommyto2
Senior Community Member

Mommyto2 is almost a CPS know-it-allMommyto2 is almost a CPS know-it-allMommyto2 is almost a CPS know-it-allMommyto2 is almost a CPS know-it-all
My Chaporone is here!!

Sorry no pictures or measurements yet. My FIL is here and I have make lunch. But I have gotten to play with it a few mins.
First impression- I like it! It looks similar in size to the keyfit. The harness is easy to adjust and it adjusts pretty tight (I was able to get a tight fit on one of dd's dolls). It also comes with low birth weight foam. There are two crotch buckle positions, it looks like the closer one is for babies under 11 pounds.
One interesting thing I found by flipping through the manual is the base can not be used on an airplane. Not a big deal for me since I would likely not use the base when traveling anyway.
My only "dissapointment" is the cowmoo fabic isn't plush like I had hoped. It is not rough but not plush either. This will probably be really nice when our little girl comes in August.

I hope to get some pictures today and I will work on installing this afternoon if the weather clears up some.
A-4.5 years- FR90 or FFing BLVD70

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
mommaon112903
Senior Community Member

mommaon112903 is a Car-Seat.org recognized contributor
Re: My Chaporone is here!!

No pics, but totally understand the lunch thing!

Not FFA approved
Old 06-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
Momof4Girls
Carseat Crazy

Momof4Girls is almost a CPS know-it-allMomof4Girls is almost a CPS know-it-allMomof4Girls is almost a CPS know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaon112903 View Post

Not FFA approved
The seat is FAA approved...the base is not.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
Mommyto2
Senior Community Member

Mommyto2 is almost a CPS know-it-allMommyto2 is almost a CPS know-it-allMommyto2 is almost a CPS know-it-allMommyto2 is almost a CPS know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaon112903 View Post

Not FFA approved
The seat is FAA approved, but the base is not. Just to clarify.
Mommyto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
SillyLily
Carseat Crazy

SillyLily is a Car-Seat.org recognized contributor

Very exciting. I can't wait to see pictures. Does it seem narrower than the companion (if you have seen the companion)?

Mindy, mom to Sicily (age 5, 37 lbs, Radian 80 princess), Lily (age 3, 30 lbs., FF in a Maxi Cosi Priori or Radian XT), and Liam (born in January, riding in a cowmoo Britax Chaperone)
SillyLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
Mommyto2
Senior Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyLily View Post
Very exciting. I can't wait to see pictures. Does it seem narrower than the companion (if you have seen the companion)?
It has been awhile since I have seen a companion. The base seems less bukly then I remember the companions being. I will take some measurements in a little while.

Here are a few pictures I took. This is my first time taking pictures of a new seat and this is our crappy camera. Please let me know if there is anything you would like to see a picture of.

Seat

Base

Base top view

Lever to release seat from base
Old 06-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
Mommyto2
Senior Community Member

Canopy

Chest clip

Headrest (lowest position, I will try to get a better picture of this)

Headrest fully extended
Old 06-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
Mommyto2
Senior Community Member

Harness adjustment. There are two loops, the top used for smaller babies, the bottom is used for bigger/older infants.

Crotch buckle (in the closest position)

Lock-offs

LATCH storage

That is all I have right now. I have a few things to do around here then I plan on reading the manual more carefully and installing in at least one of our cars today. It is raining here so that might wait until tomorrow if the rain doesn't at least slow to a drizzle.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
snowbird25ca
Moderator - CPST Instructor

snowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Wow, thanks for all those pictures!!! So does the seatbelt slide under the black pieces under the lock-off area?

This seat makes me want another baby just so I can buy one. (Don't tell my dh. lol)

eta: I tried to give you rep for taking all these pictures, but I've given out too much in the last 24hrs.
Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2009 Astra depending on the day.

snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
Mommyto2
Senior Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
Wow, thanks for all those pictures!!! So does the seatbelt slide under the black pieces under the lock-off area?
Yes, the seat belt slides under than the bigger gray piece goes over it and the smaller clips clip it in place. It seems really easy to use.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
Momof4Girls
Carseat Crazy

Momof4Girls is almost a CPS know-it-allMomof4Girls is almost a CPS know-it-allMomof4Girls is almost a CPS know-it-all

Possibly a crazy question...

The hooks and the bar/whatever it is that holds the seat into the base...is it all metal, or is it plastic, or??

Do you know what I'm talking about? Where the seat hooks into the base.

Raechel
Old 06-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
Mommyto2
Senior Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4Girls View Post
Possibly a crazy question...

The hooks and the bar/whatever it is that holds the seat into the base...is it all metal, or is it plastic, or??

Do you know what I'm talking about? Where the seat hooks into the base.

Raechel
The actual hooks (and the "loops" they hook into) are metal The piece that moves the hooks and is connected to the release bar is plastic.

Does that make sense?
Old 06-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #13
MOM25BOYS
Senior Community Member

MOM25BOYS is almost a CPS know-it-allMOM25BOYS is almost a CPS know-it-allMOM25BOYS is almost a CPS know-it-allMOM25BOYS is almost a CPS know-it-allMOM25BOYS is almost a CPS know-it-all

Squeeee!! I love how this seat looks. I wish my sister would have had time to think about this before we bought her Chicco KF. Maybe I can convince her to get the Cowmoo stroller.. Thanks for taking all the detailed pics and can't wait to hear how easy it installs. Rep'd you for that!
MOM25BOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #14
JavaJunki

JavaJunki has disabled reputation

I'm not sure how OT this is..but why don't they make RF tethers for buckets?

ETA: I wish I could convince my husband how pretty cowmoo is.
JavaJunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #15
joolsplus3
Admin - CPS Technician

joolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunki View Post
I'm not sure how OT this is..but why don't they make RF tethers for buckets?
Infant seats are just SO safe the way they are, that it hasn't made sense to add extra installation confusion to the manuals. There's a trend toward preventing rebound though, and the Companion does that with the base's anti rebound bar. It also may be a smoother motion in a crash to minimize neck loads on small infants compared to the jerking motion of a top tether. Britax and Combi have both had tethered infant seats in the past, though, and were the first of the latest crop of seats to have anti rebound bars It may make even super-safe seats just that little bit safer

And to the OP...wow! Great pictures! That seat looks fabulous, and the base DOES look less bulky, wish I had pictures of my Companion base to compare....
Old 06-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #16
CPSDarren
Admin - CPS Technician

CPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Thanks for the photos! Mine came today, so I'll have some photos and a quick review at www.carseatblog.com later this week or early next week! I need to borrow a preemie doll to test the small infant foam insert.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
Mommyto2
Senior Community Member

Darren, I am looking forward to seeing pictures with the preemie doll. There is a chance I will be passing the seat on to my sister when I am done with it and she has had two very small preemies.

The only baby I can "borrow" is out of town for the next 10 days, she is a smallish 8 month old.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #18
Mommyto2
Senior Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunki View Post
ETA: I wish I could convince my husband how pretty cowmoo is.
lol...my husband hates the cowmoo. Thankfully when it comes to carseats I get final say (with an eyeroll and a head shake)
Old 06-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #19
J-max
CPS Technician

J-max is a popular Car-Seat.org writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
This seat makes me want another baby just so I can buy one. (Don't tell my dh. lol)
I had this same thought , except dh is totally for more babies, he would even buy the seat, if he thought it would convince me

Thanks so much for all the pics, I have been waiting for it!
S(2) rides in a Nextfit or RXT, O(6) has a Frontier 90, the big girls (8, 10) have Monterey Boosters, and the oldest is 15, wears a seat belt and is driving! And we will make it an even 1/2 doz this summer!
J-max is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #20
Mommyto2
Senior Community Member

I installed it in my car quickly, just to get an idea if it would work for our three across. I ran out of daylight before I could really check it or try other configurations. Tomorrow I will have more time to play with it and make sure it will work for us.

Here are 2 quick pictures of what it looks like in the back of a 2009 Ford Fusion with 2 FFing RadianXTs

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!