Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Community > Announcements, Guidelines and Feedback

Notices

Announcements, Guidelines and Feedback Please give us your suggestions and watch for forum announcements here.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
CPSDarren
Admin - CPS Technician

CPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire
Forum Organization Changes

I am trying to find a logical way to organize the forum and split off topics from the main Car Seats forum so it isn't so busy. At the same time, I'd like to find something that isn't overly complex in finding the right place to put on-topic posts. Obviously, there will always be some crossover in these topics, and that's generally OK. Some posts can go in more than one forum and others will simply be move if it is obvious that they belong elsewhere.

I've taken a look at some other forums dedicated to particular types of products and the common theme is a breakdown into forums made for specific brand names. With that in mind, here is a possibility. Please feel free comment or add suggestions. The manufacturer forums are not technically needed now, but it's a matter of time before some sort of re-org and expansion is needed, given the ever increasing volume of posts.

In addition to manufacturer specific forums, the other new forums include a Vehicle Compatibilty forum specifically for threads tied to specific vehicles. For example, there could be a thread for 2004-2009 Toyota Sienna Issues. The second new forum is a price check forum to split that off from Carseat Swap. The same permissions would apply. Swap itself could eventually be segregated to carseat types (infant, convertible, combo, booster) if it keeps growing, but I don't think that will happen now. There is also a new test forum to try out features, images, signatures, etc.

General Car Seat Questions - Visitors Please Start Here (category only)
--General Child Safety Seat Help & What Car Seat Should I Buy?

Carseat Safety Forum Topics (category only)
--Carseat Installations, 3-Across and Technical Issues
--Special Needs Child Restraints
--Canadian and International Child Passenger Safety Topics
--Manufacturer Specific Child Safety Seat Issues
----Baby Trend
----Britax
----Chicco
----Clek
----Combi
----Dorel (Cosco, Eddie Bauer, Safety 1st, Maxi Cosi)
----Evenflo
----Graco
----Learning Curve (Compass)
----Mia Moda
----Peg Perego
----Recaro
----SafeGuard
----Sunshine Kids
----Special Needs
----All Other Manufacturers and Accessories

Vehicle and Transportation Safety Topics (Category Only)
--Auto Safety
--School Buses, Airplanes and Other Transportation
--Vehicle Compatibility

Carseat Reviews, Articles, Media and Recalls (Category Only)
--CPS News, Press Releases and Media Coverage
--Car Seat and Vehicle Reviews
--Member Articles and FAQs on Child Passenger Safety
--Recalls
----Car Seat Recalls
----Vehicle Recalls
----Children's Product Recalls

Shopping for Car Seats, Strollers and Gear (Category Only)
--Carseat Coupons, Codes and Deals
--Strollers, Travel Systems and Other Baby Gear
--Carseat Swap
--Swap O Rama
--Price Check
--Please Support Our Sponsors
----All Sponsor Sub Forums

Community Chat (Category Only)
--Carseat Chat (On-Topic)
--Technical Professionals
--Community Member Coffee Break (Off-Topic)
----Medical Issues and TMI
----TTC
----Senior Community Member Private Chat

Forum Issues (Category Only)
--Announcements, Guidelines, Feedback
--Test Forum

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
crunchierthanthou
Moderator - CPS Technician

crunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinairecrunchierthanthou is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire
Re: Forum Organization Changes

how about pulling all the recalls into a subforum? especially since you're autoposting all that are related to children. it would be nice to have a comprehensive list without digging through the other news and media items.

Reviews, Articles and Media (Category Only)
--News, Press Releases and Media Coverage
--Product Safety Recalls
--Carseat and Vehicle Reviews
--Member Articles and FAQs on Child Passenger Safety

or maybe just make a recall prefix?
crunchierthanthou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
CPSDarren
Admin - CPS Technician

CPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireCPSDarren is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Good idea. The automated feed is cluttering up that forum a bit. Granted, it is pretty slow otherwise.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
unityco
Senior Community Member

unityco IS a CPS Know-It-All!unityco IS a CPS Know-It-All!unityco IS a CPS Know-It-All!unityco IS a CPS Know-It-All!unityco IS a CPS Know-It-All!unityco IS a CPS Know-It-All!unityco IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Make sure to include "The First Years" under the Learning Curve umbrella (since that's the name on the TF.)

unityco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
ctbcleveland
CPS Technician

ctbcleveland is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!ctbcleveland is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!ctbcleveland is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!ctbcleveland is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!ctbcleveland is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!ctbcleveland is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

I think that all the sub categories would likely be overwhelming for a newcomer who has a quick, urgent question.

Threads often get lost because they "accidentally" put it in a subforum and can't find it. Also, many questions are really general install questions. Whether you've ever installed a certain seat or not, there is some trouble-shooting people can offer.

If there were that many subforums, I'd never open most of them because I've only owned four brands of seats and would not feel knowledgable enough to respond to unknown brands.

One possible sugggestion - have a sticky for successful installs with a certain brand/seat. Similar to the RN successful install thread, but more about tricks rather than just the make and model of the car that worked.

It would be good for newcomers to know that you almost always need a pool noodle or rolled towel for a RF Scenera install - or that a RN always has a steep RF recline - that stuff. Saves lots of blood, sweat and tears for a new buyer.
ctbcleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
CTPDMom
Ambassador - CPS Technician

CTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org Leader

I was thinking recalls should be stickied at the top of each manufacturer's page. Most parents won't be looking for recalls so they aren't likely to find them in the articles area, but they may see it in the 'Britax' area, for example, when they are there reading or posting about their Marathon.

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.
CTPDMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
vonfirmath
CPS Fanatic

vonfirmath is almost a CPS know-it-allvonfirmath is almost a CPS know-it-allvonfirmath is almost a CPS know-it-allvonfirmath is almost a CPS know-it-allvonfirmath is almost a CPS know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbcleveland View Post
I think that all the sub categories would likely be overwhelming for a newcomer who has a quick, urgent question.

Threads often get lost because they "accidentally" put it in a subforum and can't find it. Also, many questions are really general install questions. Whether you've ever installed a certain seat or not, there is some trouble-shooting people can offer.

If there were that many subforums, I'd never open most of them because I've only owned four brands of seats and would not feel knowledgable enough to respond to unknown brands.

One possible sugggestion - have a sticky for successful installs with a certain brand/seat. Similar to the RN successful install thread, but more about tricks rather than just the make and model of the car that worked.

It would be good for newcomers to know that you almost always need a pool noodle or rolled towel for a RF Scenera install - or that a RN always has a steep RF recline - that stuff. Saves lots of blood, sweat and tears for a new buyer.

I'm with cleveland. I wouldn't view that many subforums and I fear that it would become much harder to do the "cross-seat" matching threads that so many are now.

And if someone asks a question about the Snugride32 under Graco, does tha tmean you can't offer a suggestion about the Chicco Keyfit in the same post?

--Sarah & D.J. (3-20-04)
DS (08/07) ~ 7 ~ 48 pound ~ Graco Highback Turbobooster -- 2nd Grade!
DD (08/11) ~ 3 yr ~ 29 lb ~ Britax Roundabout 50 -- EXTENDED REARFACING!
vonfirmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
CPSDarren
Admin - CPS Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by unityco View Post
Make sure to include "The First Years" under the Learning Curve umbrella (since that's the name on the TF.)
Good point, thanks!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
CPSDarren
Admin - CPS Technician

There could certainly be a master recall thread in each manufacturer forum, but having each recall be sticked would be overwhelming in some cases.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
CPSDarren
Admin - CPS Technician

The main Car Seats forum would still be for all general questions. You could certainly post about brand B in a forum for brand A, just not as a separate thread obviously.

I'm not sure how they keep it straight at a lot of these big forums that use a similar format. It's pretty common for stuff like autos, computers, and technology. Of course, carseats have unique issues that other products don't.

Like I said, the current format is adequate for now, but even as is, new posts sroll off the first page the same day in some cases. Eventually, there will need to be some way to split off more specific posts of one type or another from general questions.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
LISmama810
Admin - CPS Technician

LISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Can we split "Special Needs" and "Other Transportation"?

"I need a seat for my child with autism" and "What should I take on our cruise?" seem like completely different issues. The juxtaposition has struck me as odd for a while.

(Speaking of which, I really am working on that FAA Sticky/Airplane Travel article. I swear.)
LISmama810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
Maedze
CPS Advocate

Maedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Quote:

I agree with this. I think dividing into subforums in this way is going to be WAY too overwhelming to a first time poster with no car seat experience.

If I were a new parent, I would see all those forums, click the little X-ey box and go ask my neighbor.

From my perspective, the number of forums upstairs right now is all ready a little too much. If I were going to change it in any way, I'd remove one. I definitely wouldn't add more.

I realize my opinion is more or less irrelevant and it's your ball park, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
Maedze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
CPSDarren
Admin - CPS Technician

Initially it was going to just be special needs. It will probably be split into two forums as it becomes busier. I don't like to create new forums just for the sake of it. The really need to serve a very unique purpose and/or have some amount of traffic. That would apply to splitting these, so it will probably happen at some point.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #14
CPSDarren
Admin - CPS Technician

The very first forum could be more clearly identified as the appropriate place for guests to ask questions.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #15
safeinthecar
Moderator - CPS Technician

safeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expertsafeinthecar is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Quote:

I agree with this.

Each model could be a sticky under the install section. You could even tie it in with the review.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #16
LISmama810
Admin - CPS Technician

LISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireLISmama810 is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPSDarren View Post
Initially it was going to just be special needs. It will probably be split into two forums as it becomes busier. I don't like to create new forums just for the sake of it. The really need to serve a very unique purpose and/or have some amount of traffic. That would apply to splitting these, so it will probably happen at some point.
What about keeping the forum for special needs, and not having one for buses/planes/etc? It makes sense to have a separate SN forum since the answers are so specialized and unique to given situations (not to mention that there are specifically SN techs). But answers to travel questions are pretty routine, and don't crop up very often anyway.
LISmama810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #17
CPSDarren
Admin - CPS Technician

Having a forum for unique or special topics also makes them easier to find.

It's a tradeoff between making it easy to find the right place to post and making it easy to find topics of interest. Many people simply don't bother with searching. On most forums, you'll have long-time members who spend most of their time replying to tell people to use the search feature first. We don't want to do that here, so we encourage people to ask questions, especially since searches don't always work well.

While some will certainly be overwhelmed by having separate manufacturer forums, others will see a forum for the brand that interests them and click it hoping to find information or to ask a post on that brand or model. In making it so that there isn't a single forum with a zillion posts a day, the goal is to make it easy for both the novice guest or the more internet savvy parent who is familiar with navigating forums.

I'm not exactly sure how to do that, but having a general forum on top and also having manufacturer sub forums seemed like a reasonable compromise.

I'll leave this thread going for some time to get more ideas, too.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #18
CTPDMom
Ambassador - CPS Technician

CTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org LeaderCTPDMom is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPSDarren View Post
There could certainly be a master recall thread in each manufacturer forum, but having each recall be sticked would be overwhelming in some cases.
I meant what you just wrote...not having an individual thread for each recall. Just one thread for each manufacturer's forum, with recalls for just that manufacturer.

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.
CTPDMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #19
UlrikeDG
Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus

UlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireUlrikeDG is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

I don't think having a "sticky" for ever manufacturer would work very well. That would give us 16 stickies, and frankly, most people don't seem to read stickies before posting anyway.

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
Just click the symbol in the lower left-hand corner
of the post. Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe,
SPAM-free zone!
UlrikeDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #20
mommy2env
Senior Community Member

mommy2env IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommy2env IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommy2env IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommy2env IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommy2env IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommy2env IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommy2env IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommy2env IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlrikeDG View Post
I don't think having a "sticky" for ever manufacturer would work very well. That would give us 16 stickies, and frankly, most people don't seem to read stickies before posting anyway.
I agree. Most of the time I just scroll right past them.

DD1~13yrs old~Seatbelt

DD2~7 yrs old ~Cow Frontier 85 and Pink Monterey.
DS~30 months Britax Roundabout and Coccoro in Licorice/Carrot Cake.
Expecting a little surprise in January 2015

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!