True Fit on the airplane - WestJet Boeing 737-600/700

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I just flew with the True Fit yesterday. Whether or not it fits RF is going to be dependent on the type of plane you're on. We flew WestJet and were on a Boeing 737-600 first, then Boeing 737-700 second. I plopped it in RF on the 737-600 and the headrest touched the seat in front, and the TF base was still off the plane seat at the rear of the TF. Without the headrest, it seems it would have fit no problem, but I am doubtful if the person in front could have reclined their seat. Others were starting to board at this time so I wanted to get the seat installed, thus I didn't further attempt to install it RF. I could have tried pressing it into place to see if it made it in, or I could have tried reclining the seat it was on, but I am not sure if they will allow the plane to be reclined for a seat install?

Anyhoo, I just went and installed FF for a couple reasons:
  1. crash dynamics are so completely different on a plane and each crash is so completely different, I'm not sure RF has a statistical advantage
  2. the chance of a plane crash is significantly less than in a vehicle
  3. I didn't feel like dealing with a whiny adult if they weren't able to recline their seat (if DD HAD to be RF due to her size that would be a different story)
  4. WestJet has satellite TV in the seat backs, so RF DD would not be able to see it. She doesn't normally watch TV, but I figured I'd put it on if I needed to distract her for any reason (the last thing I wanted was a screaming kid on a plane) - they offer a kids channel called TreeHouse which has shows for the under 5 set and no commercials :thumbsup:
On to the FF install. I have never installed the TF FF, in fact, never even read about it in the manual. heh-heh. But, I flipped the black foot to the FF position, pulled the yellow handles and moved her harness up to the 3rd slot, and put the seat in place. At first the lap belt seemed like the buckle was going to sit right on the lock off, but once I kneeled into seat and had DH pull the lap belt tail, the buckle moved to the right, to where it just enters the seat. With the TF padding and the buckle position, it wasn't in DD's way at all. I didn't bother with the lock off, airplane seat belts aren't going to loosen unless you pull up on the buckle so I wasn't worried. The arm rest rest wouldn't go down but it was super close so on the next flight (737-700), I pushed the TF closer to the window before the install and the arm rest was able to slide by. :thumbsup:

The thing I was worried about most, was the seat not having any recline FF for DD to sleep. That was a needless worry! It had a nice recline to it. :thumbsup: I think DD would have had no issues sleeping, but she didn't sleep. She napped between connecting flights in the Toronto airport instead. :)

All in all, super easy install! When we checked our baggage, a WestJet rep did come and look at the seat to make sure it had the Maple Leaf sticker. When we boarded, they were going to check for the sticker again at the gate, but a rep asked me if it was checked already and I said yes. No flight attendants gave me any help or trouble with the install on the first plane. On the 2nd flight, a flight attendant said she had to check make sure the seat was secure. She grabbed the top from over the seat in front, and tried to move it. The seat did not budge. She shook harder, it still didn't budge. She said, "wow, that seat isn't going anywhere! Mom's a pro obviously!". :D What I thought was interesting is that she was actually surprised the seat was in so tight.

DD did watch in flight TV. We own noise cancelling headphones which eliminate the roar of the plane engine so she could keep the TV volume nice and low. She watched about 15 minutes on the first flight and about a half hour on the 2nd flight. She doesn't watch TV at home (only watches videos occasionally) so she isn't used to having one show end and a next show start. She likes to watch the same thing over and over. :ROTFLMAO:

She was co-operative getting into her seat for take off and landing. The first flight she got out to go the bathroom, colour and nurse. She thought it was cool to have milk on the plane. :D We brought a huge variety of food for her, so she ate pretty much the entire time on both flights! The 2nd flight she stayed buckled the entire time because it was a really short flight (less than an hour). She got annoyed when the pilot's voice interrupted her TreeHouse show. :ROTFLMAO:

We got a taxi from the airport. With four of us, one being a kid in a car seat, and a stroller, we had lots of stuff, so they got a van for us. I have no idea what make it was but he had the seats pulled out of the middle so there was only one seat left behind the driver, and then the third row. the True Fit fit easily RF behind the driver and I had no issue installing it although when we started driving and I looked at DD I noticed I had a good tilt going to the seat. :D I didn't worry about it because we were on the freeway and there was no way this taxi driver was going to find a spot to pull over. The 3rd row of the van sucked. Both me and older DD didn't pass the 5 step test! Our feet were on the floor but the lap belt and shoulder belt sat too high. Nothing we could do about it. :(

I think that's it for now. I am running on serious lack of sleep with being up all night finishing packing before we left, no sleep on the plane, and a poor sleep last night (the place we are staying sucks, so we have to find a new place today!). I am just waiting for the rest of my family to wake up so we can get the day started. So, forgive any spelling/grammar mistakes I may have made. :)

Here's a link if you want to compare an airplane you'll be flying on with the 737-600/700 that we flew on http://www.seatguru.com/

Last edited:
ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
One more thing. On the way there, another lady had a car seat. From the back I was assuming it was a combo seat. It was tall with headwings and had super cheap, skinny plastic. When she turned it around, it said "Evenflo" on it and it was a booster! That looks like one flimsy booster! The gate attendant told her that she couldn't use a booster and the lady was shocked. They told her it had to be seat with a harness and they'd check it at the gate for her.

That wasn't even the bad part yet! The bad part is when I saw her child. She was a little shorter than DD but her face looked younger and she still toddled when she walked. We were behind them while walking to the plane and the WestJet rep was making small talk with her and I found out the child wasn't even 2 yet (turning 2 soon I believe). The child was in a booster! :eek: :eek: :eek: I tried to comfort myself with thinking that she just brought it to use on the plane because she figured it would be easier, but I am doubtful of that!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the review. My plan right now is to try the TF rearfacing potentially without the headrest since my daughter can still get away with it, but if we have to go forward-facing we will.

I'm printing your response so I have time to review it later!
Have a good trip!
Melissa

U

Unregistered

Hi, thanks so much for this great review.
I'll be travelling to Florida for Christmas and I'm planning on taking my True Fit for my two-year-old son. He's already forward facing in it and it sounds like it should work well.
I'm left with only one question, how was it in the airport. It's pretty big and heavy and if I'm not mistaken there are no carts in most parts of the airport, how did you deal with that??

Thanks again,
Marie-France

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'm left with only one question, how was it in the airport. It's pretty big and heavy and if I'm not mistaken there are no carts in most parts of the airport, how did you deal with that??
Balanced it on top of rolling carry ons (sat on top of carry on against handle). It was a pain, so DH did it. :D Bungie cords or a Traveling Toddler would have been useful (although I'd never actually put my kid in the seat with the TT).

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm planning on DH doing it too ;)
The Traveling Toddler is an interesting device, but I wouldn't put my son in there either. We'll be bringing a stroller.

Thanks again,
Marie-France

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC