Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice > Child Safety Seat Installation, Compatibility and Technical Questions

Notices

Child Safety Seat Installation, Compatibility and Technical Questions Discuss Proper Use of Infant, Convertible, Combination and Booster Seats, Automobile Compatibility, Three Across and Install Problems.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
Unregistered

Infant Seat & Marathon

My 2.5 year old (42 pounds) is FF in a Marathon in my 2006 Impala. My husband took our Graco Snugride out to my car yesterday to make sure that it would fit in with the Marathon and it doesn't look like it's going to fit side by side (infant in the middle) due to width and when we put it behind the passenger seat, the seat has to be moved all the way forward with the back completely straight and the infant seat still touches the back of the passenger seat. Is this safe or should we look into a different infant seat? If so, what infant seat do you recommend...we looked at the Baby Trend seats yesterday and they look to be narrower but I've never seen one installed.

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
skaterbabs
Car-Seat.Org Zealot

skaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leader
Re: Infant Seat & Marathon

It's OK for the infant seat to touch the front seat. Installing it without the base will give you a little more front-to-back room as well.

As for the front seat being upright, that's actally safer for yor passenger.
- Denis Waitley
skaterbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
Mama Jo
Senior Community Member

Mama Jo is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorMama Jo is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

The only infant seats that are specifically NOT allowed to touch the front seat are the Evenflo infant seats. Unless your vehicle manual states that a child restraint cannot touch the seat in front of it (particularly due to airbag sensors) it's ok.

Which model SnugRide is it? The 22 lb or the 32 lb? I had a Graco SafeSeat (30 lb.) installed with the base behind the passenger seat of my 2004 Malibu, with a few inches to spare between the infant seat and the seat in front of it, so you should be able to make it work.
Mama Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Unregistered

It's the 22 pound model...We bought it in 2006 for DS.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
mommycat
CPS Technician

mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Another thing you could check out if you have not done so already - look in your manual to see if you can leave the handle up on the SnugRide. I am pretty sure any new ones allow the handle to be up in the car, giving you that much more room.

I have seen people here mention 3-across in an Impala...
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php...29&postcount=2

Someone with a very similar issue - an '03 Impala and 2 RF seats, a SnugRide and a Boulevard. She managed to get the two seats in side by side with the SR in the center:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.p...mpala+snugride

I am also wondering if it is the SR32 and not the 22lb one, as that would mean it would be bigger and possibly harder to fit. (Here's someone who was not able to get a Safe Seat (previous version of SR32) next to a FF Marathon: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=10 but then later says they got a 3 across in it with the Safe Seat, a MA and a Regent... http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php...90&postcount=4)

Also, when you tried to put the seats side by side, were you installing using LATCH or seatbelts? Using seatbelts allows you to have more flexibility about where the seat sits in the car, allowing you to move it over sideways a bit to make more room for the seat beside it.
Also in possession of: Graco SafeSeat1 and MyRide (loaned out) + 1 demo seat: SnugRide.
mommycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
Mama Jo
Senior Community Member

Mama Jo is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorMama Jo is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Is the SR32 the same size as the SS? Because I could get my SS behind the passenger seat of the malibu (which is a little smaller than the impala) and was still able to flip the handle back if I wanted to. (Though I never did.) And my front seat passenger was not uncomfortable.

Hmm... I've never tried to get the SS next to the BV. Maybe I'll try that out tonight...
Mama Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
mommycat
CPS Technician

mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommycat IS a CPS Know-It-All!

I 'm actually not sure if they are the same or not. ??
Also in possession of: Graco SafeSeat1 and MyRide (loaned out) + 1 demo seat: SnugRide.
mommycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
Mama Jo
Senior Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycat View Post
I am also wondering if it is the SR32 and not the 22lb one, as that would mean it would be bigger and possibly harder to fit. (Here's someone who was not able to get a Safe Seat (previous version of SR32) next to a FF Marathon: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=10 but then later says they got a 3 across in it with the Safe Seat, a MA and a Regent... http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php...90&postcount=4)
I wonder if in that 3 across, they had the SS in the base, but not necessarily able to pop it in and out...? Although it would probably be tough to determine if they were all independently tight without being able to take the seat out and put it back in...

I seem to remember trying to get my SS next to something (maybe it was the BV) where I could get it to fit if I put it in first and left it in the base. But then I couldn't get it out. Which made it difficult to determine if the seat installed next to it was independently tight.

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!