Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice

Notices

CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice Visitors, Please Use This Forum to Ask Questions. Find help on how to pick the best infant, toddler or booster seat & learn safest practice to use it correctly for your littles!

The Car Seats forum is sponsored by Clek, Inc.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:24 PM   #1

652453 is a Car-Seat.Org cub writer
Take out styrofoam in Marathon?

Hi There...We received our Britax Marathon today, and underneath the cover, there are two styrofoam inserts between the plastic pieces of the seat. I'm not talking about the foam underneath the cover...this is styrofoam. It honestly looks like packing material to me...

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
KaysKidz
Senior Community Member

KaysKidz is almost a CPS know-it-allKaysKidz is almost a CPS know-it-allKaysKidz is almost a CPS know-it-allKaysKidz is almost a CPS know-it-allKaysKidz is almost a CPS know-it-all
Nope! It's EPS foam...leave it there.

Proud new 'Grammy' to Sophia 4/4/11, Kyra 12/15/11...and Elijah James 4/06/12
KaysKidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
mominabigtruck
CPS Fanatic

mominabigtruck is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!mominabigtruck is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!mominabigtruck is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!mominabigtruck is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!mominabigtruck is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!mominabigtruck is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!
That's supposed to be there, that's what makes the britax seats so great. It helps cushion in case of an accident instead of your kid just being pushed against the plastic seat.
mominabigtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
KaysKidz
Senior Community Member

KaysKidz is almost a CPS know-it-allKaysKidz is almost a CPS know-it-allKaysKidz is almost a CPS know-it-allKaysKidz is almost a CPS know-it-allKaysKidz is almost a CPS know-it-all
And before anyone panics...if you threw yours away like I did the first time...call Britax...they will send it out for free. You'd think with as many people who do this, they would stamp it with some kind of a warning on it! LOL

Old 11-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #5

Oh, I am so glad I asked! We are having a hard time figuring out how to install it with the Latch. Is it as simple as just attaching the Latch buckles to the Latch clips on our car? What are all of the clips for on the sides?
652453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:56 PM   #6
KaysKidz
Senior Community Member

The clips on the side are the built in lock offs...that is for if/when you install it with a seat belt. I've never installed with LATCH, so I can't comment on if you did it right.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #7

My husband is out in the garage right now trying to get the seat installed. We have a 2004 Audi A4, and that seat is taking up a lot of room in there! It won't fit in the middle, rear-facing. I assume it's ok to put it outboard? We have side impact air bags and that makes me a bit nervous...
Old 11-09-2006, 06:59 PM   #8
skaterbabs
Car-Seat.Org Zealot

skaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leader
How won't it fit in the middle? I often have parents think that it won't when in fact it's fine.
- Denis Waitley
skaterbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:11 PM   #9
joolsplus3
Admin - CPS Technician

joolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire
Here's what the foam looks like properly installed with the manual tucked under it http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...Anch=imgAnch19

And I bet it does seem rather huge in an Audi A4...I'd probably install it outboard with LATCH, and it doesn't have to be waaaay reclined for an older baby.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #10
Simplysomething
CPS Fanatic

Simplysomething is a Car-Seat.org LeaderSimplysomething is a Car-Seat.org LeaderSimplysomething is a Car-Seat.org LeaderSimplysomething is a Car-Seat.org LeaderSimplysomething is a Car-Seat.org LeaderSimplysomething is a Car-Seat.org LeaderSimplysomething is a Car-Seat.org LeaderSimplysomething is a Car-Seat.org LeaderSimplysomething is a Car-Seat.org LeaderSimplysomething is a Car-Seat.org LeaderSimplysomething is a Car-Seat.org Leader
652453 I'm going to sound irritating, but seriously, make sure you've read the manual for the marathon. Having one of the most recommended safety seats on the market won't do a lot of good if you don't use it properly.
their stats and a
witty quote.

posted from my computer using the internet...
Super SEEEEKRIT stuff here.

Last edited by Simplysomething; 11-09-2006 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spacing
Simplysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #11

Of course we have read the manual. I only had a question earlier about the seat, and now I was just wondering what the general consensus is on whether or not car seats should be outboard with side-impact air bags or not.

It does fit in the center, but my husband cannot get his seat back far enough for him to drive the vehicle if it's there.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #12
skaterbabs
Car-Seat.Org Zealot

skaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leader
Keep in mind that Britax allows and encourages bracing the RF seat to the seat in front of it, and for an older baby it doesn't need to be at the full 45* recline.
- Denis Waitley
skaterbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #13
NuggyBuggy

NuggyBuggy is a Car-Seat.Org cub writer
Quote:
Originally Posted by joolsplus2 View Post
Here's what the foam looks like properly installed with the manual tucked under it http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...Anch=imgAnch19
In my 2006 Canadian Marathon, I don't think there is a way I could fit the manual under the styrofoam like that, and still have the top of the styrofoam flush with the car seat. The 2 pieces of styrofoam are both the same dimensions and occupy the entire recess. So I just left the manual where I found it, i.e. flat against the base of the seat. Is that bad ?
NuggyBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggyBuggy View Post
In my 2006 Canadian Marathon, I don't think there is a way I could fit the manual under the styrofoam like that, and still have the top of the styrofoam flush with the car seat. The 2 pieces of styrofoam are both the same dimensions and occupy the entire recess. So I just left the manual where I found it, i.e. flat against the base of the seat. Is that bad ?

Ours is the same way. It actually fits into a spot in the back of the carseat.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:35 PM   #15
NuggyBuggy

NuggyBuggy is a Car-Seat.Org cub writer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 652453 View Post
Could you elaborate ? I just checked and I can't find any suitable looking place. I could never figure out why that manual is connected semi-permanently to that particular spot, but it suggests to me that the manual is supposed to be near there...
NuggyBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:07 AM   #16
Jewels
CPS Technician

Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 652453 View Post
The store where I bought mine just slid it under the seat cover just above the slot in the previous post. They told me that is where it is supposed to go. It is aslo right beside the elastic that it is attched too. Mine lays flat and isn't folded.

Does that make sense?
Old 11-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #17
steph
Senior Community Member

steph is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!steph is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!steph is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!steph is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!steph is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!steph is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!
Hey I have a 2005 Audi A4 and my Britax Boulevard (same size as your Marathon) fits great in the center. The trick is to push the front seats back all the way first and then install the Marathon rearfacing with the seatbelt. The reason you put the seats all the way back is otherwise you don't know where to center it....the Marathon will actually end up fitting right between the two front seats. The downside to this is that the two outboard seats are useless because the seatbelt buckles are covered but for us that doesn't matter. Here is a pic ....let me know if you have other questions....

P.S. You can get a rock solid install with the seatbelt it just takes some muscle!!!
Currently riding in a Britax Parkway SGL

Last edited by steph; 10-21-2009 at 01:05 PM.
steph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:31 AM   #18
wendytthomas
Moderator - CPST Instructor

wendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire
We have a 2004 Audi A4. The Wizard we have (same size as the Boulevard/Marathon) fits GREAT both RFing and FFing, though I think we put it outboard (that's not her primary vehicle and my husband often carries more than one other person in his car).

I believe we had it RFing in the middle for a while. Fit fine. I can play with it when my husband gets home, and take pictures if you need me to.

Wendy
in a 2011 BMW 535i, and my 2012 Mazda5

wendytthomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by saa2006 View Post
Hey I have a 2005 Audi A4 and my Britax Boulevard (same size as your Marathon) fits great in the center. The trick is to push the front seats back all the way first and then install the Marathon rearfacing with the seatbelt. The reason you put the seats all the way back is otherwise you don't know where to center it....the Marathon will actually end up fitting right between the two front seats. The downside to this is that the two outboard seats are useless because the seatbelt buckles are covered but for us that doesn't matter. Here is a pic ....let me know if you have other questions....

P.S. You can get a rock solid install with the seatbelt it just takes some muscle!!!
Thanks! We'll have to try that tomorrow!

Old 11-11-2006, 04:29 PM   #20
murphydog77
Admin - CPST Instructor

murphydog77 is a Car-Seat.Org Expertmurphydog77 is a Car-Seat.Org Expertmurphydog77 is a Car-Seat.Org Expertmurphydog77 is a Car-Seat.Org Expertmurphydog77 is a Car-Seat.Org Expertmurphydog77 is a Car-Seat.Org Expertmurphydog77 is a Car-Seat.Org Expertmurphydog77 is a Car-Seat.Org Expertmurphydog77 is a Car-Seat.Org Expertmurphydog77 is a Car-Seat.Org Expertmurphydog77 is a Car-Seat.Org Expert
I think Britax gave up making the smaller foam so the manual could fit under it. I had a Marathon with a DOM from September today and there was no way I could fit the manual underneath the foam into that little spot. Just lay it flat and slip it under the gray comfort foam.

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!