Can Transport Canda approve use of a HW RF foreign seat?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I know in the U.S. parents can do some leg work with NHTSA to get approval to import and use a high weight RF seat, assuming the child meets the criteria (which I think are usually medical needs or very heavy child under age 1?). Do we have anything like this available in Canada? Will TC approve the use of a HW RF seat in special circumstances? If so, what is required?

ADS

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Higher than 65 lbs that we currently have? The Traveller Plus can be imported for medical reasons.

ETA: I re-read the post and you meant rf

Last edited:

QuassEE

We have a couple of forward-facing harnessed options to higher weights (105 and...somewhere around there?) ... But as far as higher weight rear-facing--Transport Canada has no issues with higher weight RF seats. None of the manufacturers have brought a complying seat into the Canadian market. If they did, there's nothing stopping them.

As for children who exceed 35lbs before 12 months of age--that's a tough situation. There's no good answer/solution.

-Nicole.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In the U.S. special needs kids with spinal needs can use those seats (what's it called with DS when there's a hole in the spinal column or something?) Or kids with brittle bone disease.

I bet that if there was that kind of need and the parent was aware of the availability of EERF seats they would be able to get it approved.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Higher than 65 lbs that we currently have? The Traveller Plus can be imported for medical reasons.
I am asking about RF seats, not FF. Or does the Traveller Plus also have an increased RF weight?

We have a couple of forward-facing harnessed options to higher weights (105 and...somewhere around there?) ... But as far as higher weight rear-facing--Transport Canada has no issues with higher weight RF seats. None of the manufacturers have brought a complying seat into the Canadian market. If they did, there's nothing stopping them.

As for children who exceed 35lbs before 12 months of age--that's a tough situation. There's no good answer/solution.

-Nicole.
I realize that TC has no issue with higher RF seats, but there are none currently approved for use here. What I am asking is if TC has a way to apply and use a foreign seat with a higher RF limit and under what circumstances it is allowed. In the U.S. a parent can do "something" with NHTSA (I quote something because I don't know if it's filling out an application, sending in a medical note, etc.). I am wondering if TC has those same allowances for a child who needs to RF longer than 35 pounds. A 35 pound child under 1 would be one example of a child that needed a higher RF seat.

snowbird25ca

I am asking about RF seats, not FF. Or does the Traveller Plus also have an increased RF weight?

The traveller plus is a ff'ing only seat.

I realize that TC has no issue with higher RF seats, but there are none currently approved for use here. What I am asking is if TC has a way to apply and use a foreign seat with a higher RF limit and under what circumstances it is allowed. In the U.S. a parent can do "something" with NHTSA (I quote something because I don't know if it's filling out an application, sending in a medical note, etc.). I am wondering if TC has those same allowances for a child who needs to RF longer than 35 pounds. A 35 pound child under 1 would be one example of a child that needed a higher RF seat.

I'm not aware of any, but maybe Allport will be able to give a definitive answer. She's the go-to person when we don't know. :thumbsup:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Are you thinking of spina bifida?

Nope. Something about unstable neck bones that can cause a gap or something and can lead to damage...

Got it! Antlantoaxial instability caused by the bone at the nape of the neck being too short (so not a hole, a gap.) Occurs in up to 15% of kids with TS21/DS.

hipmaman

I added in my original post that I re-read and realised you meant rf. The TT is a similar seat to the Husky/Regent but higher ff weight limit.

So we are talking about European seats, right? Or are there US seats with rf limit higher than 35 lbs?

I am thinking (and guessing) there might be some issues with TC making allowances for seats that designed for non-North American vehicles and complied to quite different safety standards than CMVSS/FMVSS (I'm not saying they are not safe, just vastly different).

Hopefully Allport can comment.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I added in my original post that I re-read and realised you meant rf. The TT is a similar seat to the Husky/Regent but higher ff weight limit.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

So we are talking about European seats, right? Or are there US seats with rf limit higher than 35 lbs?
There's no U.S. seat that I'm aware of. I was thinking of a Swedish seat or any other country that has a seat that RF past 35 lb (if anyone else has one!).
I am thinking (and guessing) there might be some issues with TC making allowances for seats that designed for non-North American vehicles and complied to quite different safety standards than CMVSS/FMVSS (I'm not saying they are not safe, just vastly different).

Hopefully Allport can comment.
I can totally understand that and wonder how NHTSA does it. I am right about that aren't I, that U.S. folks can import and use a European (or other country) seat if there is a medical/other reason why they need it?

I believe in Australia, a person can apply to have a seat tested and used but I think it's mighty pricey and the person has to buy 2 or 3 of the seats so 1 can be used for testing, one for them to use and one for some other purpose (okay, maybe not a 3rd!). I also think there is a testing fee involved? Anyone know about this?

Last edited:

BookMama

Senior Community Member

There's no U.S. seat that I'm aware of. I was thinking of a Swedish seat or any other country that has a seat that RF past 35 lb (New Zealand has the Zento for example).

Nope, definitely no US seat that RF past 35 lbs. Not even a special needs seat (at least to my knowledge).

I can totally understand that and wonder how NHTSA does it. I am right about that aren't I, that U.S. folks can import and use a European (or other country) seat if there is a medical/other reason why they need it?

Technically it's a possibility, but from what I understand NHTSA rarely grants permission to import a seat for the higher RF weight. I don't think I've ever heard (in person or online) of anyone doing it. And I don't think that "super big baby" - i.e. 35+ lbs under age 1 - is one of the qualifiers though of course there may be an underlying medical condition that does qualify.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I know that atlantoaxial instability and brittle bone disease are both conditions that are "on the list" for exceptions for 55 lb. RF seats, but I don't know what the process is with NHTSA for getting approval in those cases. I also heard of a child being approved who was 40 lbs. at 9 months because of a tumor on his pituitary.

delgirrrl

There's no U.S. seat that I'm aware of. I was thinking of a Swedish seat or any other country that has a seat that RF past 35 lb (New Zealand has the Zento for example).

I believe either Australia or New Zealand allows this as well (I can't remember which!). A person can apply to have a seat tested and used but I think it's mighty pricey and the person has to buy 2 or 3 of the seats so 1 can be used for testing, one for them to use and one for some other purpose (okay, maybe not a 3rd!). I also think there is a testing fee involved? Anyone know about this?

Hiya, to clarify, the Brio Zento available in NZ is a Swedish seat. NZ allows the European standard, so all Swedish seats are 100% legal here, although the Zento is the only one actually for sale in NZ. Australia only allows the Australian standard (max RF 26 lb, max FF 40 lb). Yes, apparently in Australia you can apply to have a foreign seat tested and approved, and need to supply 3 seats - 2 for testing, one for use. Ouch!!!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Hiya, to clarify, the Brio Zento available in NZ is a Swedish seat. NZ allows the European standard, so all Swedish seats are 100% legal here, although the Zento is the only one actually for sale in NZ. Australia only allows the Australian standard (max RF 26 lb, max FF 40 lb). Yes, apparently in Australia you can apply to have a foreign seat tested and approved, and need to supply 3 seats - 2 for testing, one for use. Ouch!!!
Thanks so much for the clarification! I'll correct my post. :)

lenats31

You are going to need a doctor´s prescription/note in the USA. Joel whose neck was broken and shoulders injured while in an FF seat in a frontal crash at city speed is riding in a Britax Multi-Tech. The family got permission to import and use the seat legally in the USA.

I find it hard to believe this can´t be done in Canada also.

Lena

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC