Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice

Notices

CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice Visitors, Please Use This Forum to Ask Questions. Find help on how to pick the best infant, toddler or booster seat & learn safest practice to use it correctly for your littles!

The Car Seats forum is sponsored by Clek, Inc.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
CarmenJ

CarmenJ has disabled reputation
Is this for real? Baby Trend to 30lbs?

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3331819

I decided on this seat in BRU today--but didn't buy it, just decided. I want a narrow seat but hadn't seen one of these in person until today. I came home thinking it was rated to 22 pounds and started debating with myself, trying to remember how old DD was when I switched her out of the Snugride, wondering if I should just get one of the 30lb seats instead... and then happened to see that this seat says on the site that it goes to 30 lbs.

I can't remember what I saw in store. I just assumed 22 pounds. I've been all over Google trying to find this particular seat elsewhere, but every other Baby Trend seat I've come across says 22 pounds. This is the only one I can find, this print at BRU (and I can't find this print anywhere but at BRU, not even on Baby Trend's site), that says 30 pounds.

Is it real? A mistake? Has it been a big deal and I didn't hear about it because I live under a rock? I didn't find anything searching here, either, but may not have been searching well enough.

TIA. It's going to be a little while before I make it back up to BRU again, although I can always call them tomorrow.

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
ketchupqueen
CPST and ketchup snob

ketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expert
Re: Is this for real? Baby Trend to 30lbs?

Huh. I think that may be a mistake. I haven't heard about them being to 30. But I suppose it could be at some point, but wouldn't we hear about it on more than one? In any case I doubt it would get any kid anywhere NEAR 30, unlike the SS1/SR32. Which might get some kids close.

I would email BRU and see if they have a mistake on that page. Wouldn't want parents misled!

Food allergies or restrictions? There's a support group for that.
ketchupqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
kmcenery
CPS Technician

kmcenery has disabled reputation

I think it is wrong on the site. I looked on baby trends site and clicked on about half of the seats and they were all 22 lbs. That seat was not on the web site tho.
kmcenery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
CarmenJ

CarmenJ has disabled reputation

I'll call them tomorrow to check. But it says 30lbs in two different places on that page, under the description and under the other tab, something like "additional info" ... and it's not technically labeled as a Flex Loc, even though it obviously is one.

ETA: And it says "NEW!" by the picture if you find it in the search on the site instead of going straight to the page.
eta again ... hah, it says the same thing by the picture on the page, just smaller and in a different spot. I totally didn't notice before.
CarmenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
ketchupqueen
CPST and ketchup snob

ketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expertketchupqueen is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Hmmm.

And yet on the BT website, nothing.

I think we'll have to wait to hear from them on this one. Maybe you should call BT too as well as BRU.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
joolsplus3
Admin - CPS Technician

joolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

It's 30, yup. No bigger or changed at all except for the labels though.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
Wineaux
CPS Technician

Wineaux is a Car-Seat.org LeaderWineaux is a Car-Seat.org LeaderWineaux is a Car-Seat.org LeaderWineaux is a Car-Seat.org LeaderWineaux is a Car-Seat.org LeaderWineaux is a Car-Seat.org LeaderWineaux is a Car-Seat.org LeaderWineaux is a Car-Seat.org LeaderWineaux is a Car-Seat.org LeaderWineaux is a Car-Seat.org Leader

I hope that they did indeed go to 30lbs. It's a really nice seat, and with the Rigid LATCH it's a stupid simple install. It's a seat I could recommend any day to someone wanting an infant bucket to use in a LATCH install.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
Jeanum
Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus

Jeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru ExtraordinaireJeanum is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

From the picture, it appears to have the Flex Loc style LATCH connectors, not the rigid LATCH connectors used on the Baby Trend Latch Loc model. If the shell height on this 30 lb. rated model is the same as the 22 lb. limit Baby Trend infant seats, it would surprise me if many babies could reach the 30 lb. limit before outgrowing it by height. DD2 outgrew a 22 lb. limit Latch Loc by height around 6 months old, when she weighed approx. 16 lbs.

DD1 Age 12, 65" 5 steps
DD2 Age 9, 55" Britax Parkway SGL

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar
Jeanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Pixels
CPS Technician

Pixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
It's 30, yup. No bigger or changed at all except for the labels though.
REALLY? I assume that you're saying this because you saw it IRL. Honestly, no baby (few exceptions always apply) is going to make it anywhere near 30 in that seat. It's the shortest seat allowed by law. We discussed it (and this particular seat) in an earlier thread.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
Kat_Momof3
CPS Advocate

Kat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org Leader

I emailed Babytrend about this and I heard back... it does go to 30lbs.

I didn't get more details than that, but it does go to 30lbs.

I expect techs should learn more at lifesavers.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos
Kat_Momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
ketchupqueen
CPST and ketchup snob

Huh.

So they upped the weight limit but not the height limit? That's going to benefit very few babies and could lead to much more rampant misuse of their seat.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #12
kmcenery
CPS Technician

kmcenery has disabled reputation

I saw it today at babies r us and baby trends paper on it said 30 lbs. I dont know how to measure it or I would have. But it is in babies r us right now.
kmcenery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:22 AM   #13
joolsplus3
Admin - CPS Technician

joolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

No different from the Key Fit having the same dimensions for the 22 or 30, though... well...except it's a bigger seat to start with
Old 03-09-2009, 07:31 AM   #14
ketchupqueen
CPST and ketchup snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
No different from the Key Fit having the same dimensions for the 22 or 30, though... well...except it's a bigger seat to start with
Yeah, but see, the KeyFit, while I don't think most kids will make it to 30 in it, SOME kids might make it past 22. So upping it is a BIT more reasonable.

I am trying really hard to imagine a kid making it past 22 lbs. in the BT, and it really stretches credulity that more than a few in a thousand will.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #15
Pixels
CPS Technician

Pixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertPixels is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

The main reason that I see that it's a problem, is that many parents are aware that there's a weight limit, but not aware of height limits. They can understand the weight limit being important to a restraint, but not height. So if a seat goes to 30 pounds, and my child is not 30 pounds, it must be ok.

I think my kid might be one to make it past 22 in the BT. We still have a ways to go, but at 15 pounds, she has several inches over her head still.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #16
joolsplus3
Admin - CPS Technician

I ran into a dad yesterday who was *fixated* on weights...thought that the 22lb limit on his KF was ok for any height, and the 30lb limit on a booster was ok for any age.
Mostly, though, people seem to think the infant seat is outgrown when the feet get to the end
Old 03-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #17
Momof4Girls
Carseat Crazy

Momof4Girls is almost a CPS know-it-allMomof4Girls is almost a CPS know-it-allMomof4Girls is almost a CPS know-it-all

I put both my 20mos and my 3 y/o in a BT FL...My 3 y/o (pic in another thread, fits height-wise in a SR, but is over the weight limit) has her head RIGHT AT the top of the BT shell...at 25lbs. My 20mos is almost out of it (at 18-19lbs), but she still can grow a bit in it.

Raechel
Old 03-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #18
skylinphoto
Carseat Crazy

skylinphoto is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authorskylinphoto is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authorskylinphoto is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

I could see it being useful for some people. My friend has twins who are short and well over 22 lbs. They fit in my flex loc heightwise..but not weightwise.
My dd however is the opposite. She fits weightwise (only 16 lbs) but outgrew it by height recently. (my siggy stats are old, btw)
My baby and my friends twins are the exact same age (1 yr old).
Babies are different sizes.

This seat..like the chicco 30..will be helpful to those with heavy, young babies.

(edited for spelling errors. hehe)
skylinphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #19
Kat_Momof3
CPS Advocate

Kat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org Leader

what about finding it next to the regular flex loc?? if they changed anything on it, you'd be able to tell (height... width... those things at least).

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos
Kat_Momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #20
joolsplus3
Admin - CPS Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_Momof3 View Post
what about finding it next to the regular flex loc?? if they changed anything on it, you'd be able to tell (height... width... those things at least).
Believe me, I have two on the shelf right next to each other...there's nothing different except the colors and the labels.

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!