Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Community > Carseat Chat

Notices

Carseat Chat Introductions and Miscellaneous Child Passenger Safety Topics and Chat. Discuss Ratings, Laws, News, Etc. No Off-topic Discussions!

Carseat Chat is sponsored by Kids-N-Cribs.com

View Poll Results: Have you ever installed a rf Britax convertible with the seatbelt routed OVER the cover?
Yes, I have - my own seat 65 59.09%
Yes, I have - someone else's seat 6 5.45%
No, I haven't - but I like having this option 6 5.45%
No, I always route the seatbelt under the cover 29 26.36%
I have never installed a rf Britax convertible with seatbelt 4 3.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Kecia
Admin - CPST Instructor

Kecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org Leader
Have you ever routed the seatbelt OVER the cover when installing a RF Britax Convertible?

This is linked to today's carseatblog post. It's a 2-part question. I want to know how many of you have chosen to install a rf Britax convertible with the seatbelt routed over the cover and if you care about this option or not?

I'm of the opinion that Britax should do away with the extra slots in the cover (meant for seatbelt routing) because, in my experience, no one uses them for their intended purpose but they are frequently misused when parents unintentionally route the lap straps through this larger opening after removing the cover.

Here are pictures of correct and incorrect routing of the lap straps:

Britax conv lap strap routing.JPG

Britax conv lap strap misrouted.JPG

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
wendytthomas
Moderator - CPST Instructor

wendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire
Re: Have you ever routed the seatbelt OVER the cover when installing a RF Britax Convertible?

Sure. That's the only way I did it for years. And thank goodness for those slots when installing a Britax on a plane!! Holy smokes, I'd hate to have to yank the cover up to stuff a big ole plane buckle under there. And since a big Britax is such a PITA to install forward facing, I encourage anyone with a big Britax on a plane to travel with it rear facing for their under 35 pounders just for ease of install and uninstall. But in my car when Piper was rear facing I always routed it over the cover. Never occurred to me to do otherwise. It wasn't until I was a tech and I had parents complaining about the aesthetics that I started going under.

Wendy
2011 BMW 535, 2012 Mazda5

wendytthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
Maedze
CPS Advocate

Maedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org LeaderMaedze is a Car-Seat.org Leader
Re: Have you ever routed the seatbelt OVER the cover when installing a RF Britax Convertible?

Sure, but only in situations where I was in a rush. I don't think it's an important feature and I'd like to see it disappear for the same reason you mentioned.
Maedze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
joolsplus3
Admin - CPS Technician

joolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinairejoolsplus3 is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

I always did it that way, even with my old Medallion (and remember the Fisher Price Safe Embrace that had a flap to cover the belt? Best of both worlds, IMO)... but I also did put the straps through those holes by accident...I was quick enough to catch myself before leaving them that way, fortunately, but I'm sure other parents might not be. I wonder if Britax could maybe color code them with piping or a little label to prevent misroutings?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
mommy2env
Senior Community Member

mommy2env IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommy2env IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommy2env IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommy2env IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommy2env IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommy2env IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommy2env IS a CPS Know-It-All!mommy2env IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Yes, came in very handy on a plane.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
DD1~13yrs old~Seatbelt

DD2~7 yrs old ~Cow Frontier 85 and Pink Monterey.
DS~24 months Britax Roundabout and Coccoro in Licorice/Carrot Cake.
mommy2env is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
Mom2three
Carseat Crazy

Mom2three is a popular Car-Seat.org writer

I take my BLVD in and out of DHs pickup so frequently, that I almost always install this way. It is much quicker, especially when it is so cold out.

Sydnee 1/6/07 34lbs
Kip 6/15/09 26lbs RF
Different seats for different days
Mom2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
emandbri
CPS Technician

emandbri is almost a CPS know-it-allemandbri is almost a CPS know-it-allemandbri is almost a CPS know-it-allemandbri is almost a CPS know-it-all

I put under the cover for a main install but always do over the cover if it is going in another car.

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.
emandbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
rodentranger
CPS Technician

rodentranger is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authorrodentranger is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

I always go under the cover. If I can't any more than a receiving blanket under my car seat to protect my vehicle seat because it could compress and make a bad install look acceptable...why can I put the seatbelt over the 1/2" thick foam pad on the car seat itself? I have never understood that and so I never route the belt over the cover/foam.
PetBuckle Review Here
rodentranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
Melodiya99
Carseat Crazy

Melodiya99 has disabled reputation

I have my seatbelt over the cover (it's actually a fpsvd, but the slots are the same) and it's normally installed that way...we move our car seats fairly often between our cars, so it's a lot faster and easier to do it that way.

I like the idea to color code them. Or better yet, put a little label by each slot (since people often don't look things up in the manual, and it'd be right there).
Melodiya99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
J-max
CPS Technician

J-max is a popular Car-Seat.org writer

I always install mine over the cover, it is just easier to do. And I don't move my seats super often (that is why we have 2 sets). But the compression argument does make sense.
S(2) rides in a Nextfit or RXT, O(6) has a Frontier 90, the big girls (8, 10) have Monterey Boosters, and the oldest is 15, wears a seat belt and is driving! And we will make it an even 1/2 doz this summer!
J-max is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #11
wendytthomas

wendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinairewendytthomas is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentranger View Post
I always go under the cover. If I can't any more than a receiving blanket under my car seat to protect my vehicle seat because it could compress and make a bad install look acceptable...why can I put the seatbelt over the 1/2" thick foam pad on the car seat itself? I have never understood that and so I never route the belt over the cover/foam.
Because Britax has tested it over the foam and cover and has said it would pass. They've never tested with the Prince Lionheart seat cover, or 16 layers of shelf liner. Or if they have they've failed and so they don't approve them.

Wendy
2011 BMW 535, 2012 Mazda5

wendytthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
snowbird25ca

snowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinairesnowbird25ca is a CPS Guru Extraordinaire

I recently taught a parent to install over the cover when using a seatbelt because the seat was going to be moved regularly between vehicles - like on a daily basis. Much much easier to go over the cover when there is regular re-installing involved.

(Of course I also taught them how to route it under the cover, but I'm sure they're going over the cover most of the time if not all the time.)
Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2009 Astra depending on the day.

snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #13
Namegirl
CPS Technician

Namegirl is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorNamegirl is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Yes, definitely--especially on planes, but in cars, too.
Baby due in August!
Namegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #14
sirrahn
Senior Community Member

sirrahn is almost a CPS know-it-allsirrahn is almost a CPS know-it-allsirrahn is almost a CPS know-it-allsirrahn is almost a CPS know-it-all

I've done it, but only a handful of times when I was installing for a short period of time such as in the grandparents' car for a ride or two.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #15
skaterbabs
Car-Seat.Org Zealot

skaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leaderskaterbabs is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Yes, but only when the seat was going to come right back out again soon.
- Denis Waitley
skaterbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #16
Synchro246
CPS Fanatic

Synchro246 IS a CPS Know-It-All!Synchro246 IS a CPS Know-It-All!Synchro246 IS a CPS Know-It-All!Synchro246 IS a CPS Know-It-All!Synchro246 IS a CPS Know-It-All!Synchro246 IS a CPS Know-It-All!Synchro246 IS a CPS Know-It-All!

For short term installs or when I just need to do it quickly I do it over the cover and I really like this feature.
I have once accidently routed the lap portion of the harness through it on one side though and I didn't catch it for about a week!
Old 02-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #17
Thanksgiving_Twins_Mom
Carseat Crazy

Thanksgiving_Twins_Mom has disabled reputation

I always routed mine under the cover, but I didn't move them around much and was just a bit anal about it looking better with the seatbelt routed under.

I like the color-coding idea, but suspect a lot of people would still route it the wrong way even if there were color codes.
Thanksgiving_Twins_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #18
Nisha
CPS Technician

Nisha is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorNisha is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Yes, all the time when we're switching vehicles and riding withother people who don't have LATCH. It's installed with LATCH in my van but so much quicker to go over the cover when installing with the seatbelt in someone elses vehicle. (or in our second vehicle.)

Nisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #19
Dillipop
Senior Community Member

Dillipop is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Dillipop is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Dillipop is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Dillipop is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Dillipop is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Dillipop is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

I always thread mine over the cover. I get a tighter install faster this way. I've tried it under the foam and it takes forever to get it tight enough (maybe because I don't move the cover and foam very far out of the way.) And then trying to shove the cover back over the lip to get it back on the seat is a PITA.

Dillipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #20
all together ooky
Senior Community Member

all together ooky is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authorall together ooky is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

Yes, when doing temporary installs. It's so much faster.

Beatrice: Born Sept. 30, 2012

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!