Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Safety Questions and Topics > CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice

Notices

CAR SEATS - General Child Safety Seat Questions, Help and Advice Visitors, Please Use This Forum to Ask Questions. Find help on how to pick the best infant, toddler or booster seat & learn safest practice to use it correctly for your littles!

The Car Seats forum is sponsored by Clek, Inc.

View Poll Results: What issue would you like to see addressed on the Britax Frontier?
I AM AN OWNER AND USER OF A FRONTIER AND WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE… 47 33.33%
I DID NOT PURCHASE A FRONTIER BECAUSE… 37 26.24%
I AM CONSIDERING THE PURCHASE OF A FRONTIER BUT HAVE CONCERNS ABOUT… 52 36.88%
Improve cup holder design to open easier and/or close better 34 24.11%
Raise harness height to equal that of Regent 101 71.63%
The buckle tongues slide down under the child and sometimes under the cover 43 30.50%
The arm rests feel weak – I’d prefer fixed (non-pivoting armrests) 25 17.73%
Add a fourth crotch buckle position 16 11.35%
Add hook & loop to hold harness in open position 47 33.33%
Need to improve ease of installation 86 60.99%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Sarah Tilton
CPST Instructor

Sarah Tilton has disabled reputation
What would you change about the Britax Frontier?

The Product Management team at Britax Child Safety has instituted a product review process by which newly released products are evaluated and improvements made (when required). I would like to take this opportunity to solicit feedback from people who are either current Frontier owners or people who considered the Frontier (or are currently considering ) the product.

The feedback I am soliciting is being purposefully limited to the options listed below. The goal of this exercise is for me to hand our Product Manager and the Engineering team a prioritized list of issues that have been brought to our attention in some way.

INSTRUCTIONS:
Please select either #1 OR #2 OR #3
AND then select 3 additional items you would like addressed. You do not need to prioritize their importance – we will determine this by the number of votes each issue receives.

Thank you

Sarah Tilton
Britax Child Safety

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
carseatcoach
Carseat Crankypants

carseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expertcarseatcoach is a Car-Seat.Org Expert
Re: What would you change about the Britax Frontier?

I voted:
I DID NOT PURCHASE A FRONTIER BECAUSE…
Raise harness height to equal that of Regent

I also think
Need to improve ease of installation
is very important, but it did not influence my own personal decision because I'm willing and able to wrestle seats. It does, as stated above, influence my recommendations.

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart
carseatcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
vermontmoms
Carseat Crazy

vermontmoms has disabled reputation
Lightbulb Re: What would you change about the Britax Frontier?

For us we are in the process of buying two carseats for our twins we really want the frontier b/c of the booster conversion but we are strongly considering the regent and other similar EH seats. We feel the frontier has several drawbacks which is causing us to look at other non-Britax options and the regent. Our problems with the frontier are as follows:

1) It needs to have taller harness slots...My twins are 5yrs and are thin but tall; unfortunately if we buy the frontier we will only be able to keep them harnessed till maybe 7yrs old. I would love it if the frontier had taller harness slots b/c I don't want to convert them into a booster seat at 6-7yr and 43lbs.

2) The straps on the frontier are so flimsy and several frontier owners I know said, "Britax cheaped out by making such flimsy straps." We loved our Marathons b/c the straps were so thick and never twisted. This is a huge downside when you are strapping kids in carseats till they are 6-9 yrs old.

3) We wish this seat had locking mechanism like the marathon and a similar belt path for installation. The marathon is a great seat that can get a super install in less then 2min per seat. I wish the frontier was this easy to install and had the locking mechanism.

4) The final concern that we have is with the arm rests. I feel that a higher side wall would work better than a movable arm rest. The arm rests are somewhat pointy and I am concerned that they could be knocked loose by side impact and act as a impalement object and pierce my child's abdomen. I would feel better knowing that they had a solid side wall or a different design of the armrest.

Please redesign this seat as the frontier is severely lacking. It was a great idea but falls short in usefulness and design. That said, I like the cover COLOR options but also wish they were a thicker material like the marathon or the regent....It would be nice if you offered a BLUE color option too.

Thanks for letting us provide feedback,
Jen
vermontmoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
Mommy0608
CPS Technician

Mommy0608 IS a CPS Know-It-All!Mommy0608 IS a CPS Know-It-All!Mommy0608 IS a CPS Know-It-All!Mommy0608 IS a CPS Know-It-All!Mommy0608 IS a CPS Know-It-All!Mommy0608 IS a CPS Know-It-All!Mommy0608 IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the opportunity to provide feedback! I am looking at the Frontier as an option for my 2.5 year old when she outgrows her current seat rear-facing. It may be 6 months or a year or even longer, but I've started comparing the options, and at this point I've narrowed it down to the Frontier, Regent, and Graco Nautilus.

I can tell you right now that if the Frontier had harness slots as tall as the Regent, that would seal the deal for me. I LOVE the 9 year life span, and the 6 year lifespan is holding me back on the Regent because I have a large 6 month old that will need the seat down the road. If money was no option, I wouldn't mind the expiry because I could just buy new seats. However, we have a tight budget, so unfortunately I have to take that into consideration. Budget is the only reason I'd consider the Nautilus, especially because it has roughly the same harness height as the Frontier. However, I truly like the Frontier better than the Nautilus at this point, and am willing to pay extra for the quality (love the booster mode of the Frontier!) but am hesitant because of the harness height.

I'm very thankful for the opportunity to share opinions of the seat.
Both riding in Frontier 85s
Mommy0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
cowgirlsmommy
CPS Technician

cowgirlsmommy has disabled reputation

We're going to go ahead and buy one but we would love to see the harness slots as high as the Regent and although my daughter said she'd be ok with the Pink Sky cover she really wants one that is prettier. She's been spoiled with the Madison Regent cover, Ashley Floral Marathon cover, and I forget the name of the purple and flower cover of the Boulevard but she has that too.

cowgirlsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
emandbri
CPS Technician

emandbri is almost a CPS know-it-allemandbri is almost a CPS know-it-allemandbri is almost a CPS know-it-allemandbri is almost a CPS know-it-all

If it had thicker straps I would own one already.

The buckle tongues sliding would drive me batty, I know it. I don't use the velcro on the marathons but do like that they keep the tongues from sliding down.

Taller slots would be nice too. I was really surprised how little room Benjamin had in the harness. I know others have had different results but he did have more room in the nautilus.

Easier install would be nice. I was able to get it tight but I've been doing this for a long time, know all the tricks, and was installing it in a van where I could recline the seat and bring it back up. I just don't think the average parent would be able to get a good install.

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.

Last edited by emandbri; 02-06-2009 at 09:11 AM.
emandbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
Splash
CPS Technician

Splash is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertSplash is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertSplash is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertSplash is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertSplash is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertSplash is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertSplash is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertSplash is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertSplash is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertSplash is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertSplash is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

I picked that I own one and did not buy one. I own one for my car, but use a Nautilus in another car because I feel the Nautilus is a overall better seat for harnessed mode. The main reason the Frontier wins in my car is the pivoting armrests make it easier to climb in vs. the high, fixed armrests of the GN. If the armrests were fixed on the Frontier, I absolutely would not buy it. As it is, I might be returning it in favor of another GN anyway due to the installation issues.

I'd LOVE to see an an easier install and higher harness. That would make it, IMO, one of the best seats on that market and well worth the money. IF the top slots were higher, I might even deal with fixed armrests.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
Jewels
CPS Technician

Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!Jewels IS a CPS Know-It-All!

I do like the Frontier and really haven't had any problmes with it. The install hasn't been a issue for us at all.

What I don't like the most on the Frontier is the buckle tonguess that slide down. It was enough to make me use the Radian for the winter because it is far to cold (-30 - -40) for me to have my hands bare and digging around a seat trying to get the tongues out from under DS's bum.

I would really like to see the seat a bit slimmer so that it would work a bit better in a 3 across situation.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
Mama!
CPS Fanatic

Mama! is almost a CPS know-it-allMama! is almost a CPS know-it-allMama! is almost a CPS know-it-allMama! is almost a CPS know-it-all

I voted, but I also wanted to say that I had concerns about the cover lasting through so many boarding/unboardings. The mesh covers are picking and pilling up , and if they even get wet they "circle" and create a dirty looking spot. I really wanted to buy a pink one for my dd but held off waiting for softer more durable covers too.

I voted for Harness height as tall as Regent.
Mama! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #10
HEVY
Senior Community Member

HEVY is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!HEVY is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!HEVY is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!HEVY is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!HEVY is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!HEVY is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

I didn't buy it because it would not install in either of our cars. My second concern were the arm rests, just don't like them, period. But could live with them if they didn't move. Third was not listed, the straps were too flimsy, but makes it easy for a child to tighten it. And the last...I would like it to have harness slots as high or higher than the Regent.

Rachel 6/5/03 60 3/4 in 110lbs 5-stepping .
HEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #11
LuvBug
formerly...

LuvBug has disabled reputation

I picked:

I DID NOT PURCHASE A FRONTIER BECAUSE…

I have not seen one in person, so I can not comment on the rest. I do know that the frontier and graco nautilus are either the same or only slightly different in harness height. My 5yo(~48lbs, 48") does not have any growing room in the GN, so I could not see the frontier being a reasonable option. He is currently using a husky as his main seat and we have a pre-advisory regent for a spare that we are unable to use in our current situation. He is in the top slots of his seats, and like I said he is 5(7/9/03) and under or just 50lbs and 48" or so. He does not sit well enough in a booster to use it full time, and I can not see him maturing enough for it in the next year either. If his growing pattern stays the same I figure he will make it in the husky until 7.5-8 and if his maturity grows the same I figure he will be mature enough to use a booster correctly all the time by 7-7.5(when he enters 1st grade).

If the frontier had comparable top slots to the husky(not post advisory regent, but the husky or pre advisory) then I would love to get one to use in my mom's truck where she is having to use a parkway and lock the seatbelt and still having little issues like him trying to roll down the manual window and such.

I love to hear how tall it is in booster mode. Again I will want to booster him as long as possible when he outgrows a harness. My own torso is 26" seated, so the taller the seatbelt guides the more likely DS will be able to be in a booster longer with proper head protection.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #12
Judi
CPST/Firefighter

Judi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

I think I discussed this with you at Lifesavers. I really wanted higher slots., pre-adv Regent high. I put Tyler in it, at Lifesavers, and he had outgrown the harness, but made it another 6 months in the Regent.

The buckle tongue issue would be an easy fix it you add the hook/loop.

I wish the install was easier. But happy there is the LBP there if needed, with no weight limit.

I love the long life and TALL booster!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #13
BookMama
Moderator - CPS Technician

BookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org LeaderBookMama is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Sarah, thank you so much for the chance to provide input on this seat.

I voted I AM CONSIDERING THE PURCHASE OF A FRONTIER BUT HAVE CONCERNS ABOUT…

(But my real concern about the seat is the cover. I would like to see a machine-washable cover, plus options like on the other Britax seats, and more patterns. But machine-washable and a plush option would be most important.)
Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.
BookMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #14
Judi
CPST/Firefighter

Judi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertJudi is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi View Post
I think I discussed this with you at Lifesavers. I really wanted higher slots., pre-adv Regent high. I put Tyler in it, at Lifesavers, and he had outgrown the harness, but made it another 6 months in the Regent.

The buckle tongue issue would be an easy fix it you add the hook/loop.

I wish the install was easier. But happy there is the LBP there if needed, with no weight limit.

I love the long life and TALL booster!
ETA: An anti submarine clip and better, no mesh, covers. I will pay you $80 right now, for an onyx cover.

Last edited by Judi; 02-06-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Judi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
oxeye
CPS Technician

oxeye is almost a CPS know-it-alloxeye is almost a CPS know-it-alloxeye is almost a CPS know-it-alloxeye is almost a CPS know-it-all

I do have a Frontier and overall am pretty happy with it. I like it better than the Regent and the Safeguard.

My biggest complaint is the cover material. Mesh is really not a child friendly material. The plush Britax covers hold up so much better over time.

My only other complaint is how easy it is to twist the straps compared to Britax's other seats. My DH is constantly getting them twisted under the buckle tongues and the straps are even starting to show a bit of fraying on the edges from sliding against the tongues. None of my other Britax seats have done this. I've only had the seat a few months so it is much too soon to be showing any wear.

Taller harness height would be nice too.

I really appreciate that Britax is willing to listen to our feedback!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #16
Calideedle
Carseat Crazy

Calideedle is a popular Car-Seat.org writer

#1, 2 & 3 did not apply to me because I bought a Frontier and returned it because of the harness height.

With this improvment I would defiantly buy and use another one.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #17
Lys
CPS Technician

Lys is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Lys is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Lys is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Lys is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Lys is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!Lys is a top author and CPS Guru wannabe!

I voted "I did not purscahse a Frontier because..."
However, I did purchase one and returned it for the reasons I'm giving.

1. Raise harness height to equal that of Regent
2. The arm rests feel weak – I’d prefer fixed (non-pivoting armrests)
3. Need to improve ease of installation

When I had my Frontier, I even spoke on the phone numerous times with an "engineer" to help with installation. I was finally given the go ahead to use the LBP.
In my vehicle, SBP doesn't give an acceptable install and LATCH isn't either with a 40lb limit (Honda).
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #18
Defrost
Moderator - CPST Instructor

Defrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org ExpertDefrost is a Car-Seat.Org Expert

I voted considering a purchase, which is only technically true in that if something happened to my Husky (like a crash) I'd be considering a Frontier.

My concerns with it are ease of installation (though I do think the LBP is fantastic), harness height, and buckle tongues falling/twisty straps.

It's also fairly annoying when trying to install and the foot keeps falling down because it doesn't stay in place in the front "harness-mode" position.

Ah - sorry, I know this wasn't an option, either, but I was rather disappointed to find that the head rest/harness height couldn't be adjusted without un-installing the carseat. It's really nice to be able to adjust it for various-size kids, plus in using it for taller kids, it's nice to be able to just lower it all the way to increase my view out that window if there's no child using it at the time.

These are all things I'd be willing to pay more for, as opposed to, for example, the Nautilus.
Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!
Defrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #19
Gypsy
Senior Community Member

Gypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org Leader

One of the things I'd like to change isn't on the list.

It needs a more durable cover - the covers available now snag easily and can't be washed in a machine.

For the other two I chose the buckles falling, and improve ease of installation - I personally have had zero install issues, but I know some have - the belt path for the short belt path installation is funky, and a lot of people don't have seat belts long enough for long belt path.

ETA: I'd be SO VERY HAPPY with my Frontier if it had thicker harness straps and a different cover. I'd have zero complaints then. I think the harness height is adequate for the vast majority of children, I like the pivoting arm rests, while the cup holders aren't a breeze to open and close, I know they stay where I put them!
Old 02-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #20
Lisa in WV

Lisa in WV has disabled reputation

I would definitely change the belt path. It is so hard to install in my 2000 Ford Taurus with the short belt path, and my seat belts are too short to install it with the long belt path. I would also put those little velcro strips on the harness straps and sides of the seat so the buckles don't always slide down and need to be fished out.

My daugher said the seat needs to come with a purple flowered cover.

Tags
None

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!