Question Nautilus overhanging too much??

mommycat

I have a couple of pics of the Nautilus installed in a truck. One shows the seat not overhanging, after I pushed for all I was worth towards the back of the truck. The other is the result of a less intensive effort to install. It technically doesn't overhang the seat but the seat slopes away at the front so that the base does not maintain contact with it. Do you think this would be an acceptable install as well?

Also, without LATCHing in booster mode, this is about how much the seat would "overhang" the truck seat. I guess it would be preferable to get a tight, rearward LATCH install to use for booster mode as well, but would that be acceptable if say, there was no LATCH available?

Thanks All!

Oh, and a picture of my 15 month old in the Nauti, just for kicks. I would not do this, but it is scary how comfy he looks in that seat. Except, do those red plastic belt guides come out so close to their fragile little heads on all kids, or is it just the babies?! I don't like that part too much.

ADS

mish

The manual says the Nautilus cannot overhang the vehicle seat. That being said, it does a bit in my husband's truck. He drives a silverado. I would just push it back as hard as you can, as you have done in the first pic. I really don't know if I would use it as a booster in that truck.

Maedze

I have a similar install in the third row of my Ford Freestar and am perfectly comfortable with it. It meets the letter of the law.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Oh, and a picture of my 15 month old in the Nauti, just for kicks. I would not do this, but it is scary how comfy he looks in that seat. Except, do those red plastic belt guides come out so close to their fragile little heads on all kids, or is it just the babies?! I don't like that part too much.

The headrest looks like it should be down one more notch for him. :)

They're actually slightly recessed behind the EPS foam though, so there's not a safety concern with them. There is a point when a child just moves up a harness position where the harness guides are up higher on the child's head, but like I said, it's not a safety concern. :thumbsup:

Oh, and FWIW, I don't really think the 2nd picture is actual overhang. The front edge of the base doesn't stick out beyond the edge of the vehicle seat, so I'm in agreement with Maedze that it meets the letter of the law. I'm not sure I'd use it as a booster without LATCH though.

mommycat

Great, thanks! And it's been pointed out that the second pic really IS a less-intensive install, as it is not installed. :eek:

Trudy, I didn't realize that it had another notch down, but admittedly I wasn't really trying to get it to fit him since it was just for fun. Thanks for clarifying the EPS foam making it a non-issue.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC