Question Driver Comfort vs Child Safety

carnalcindd

I went to the police station today to have our carseat installation checked out. Since DD will be here any day now, I wanted to make sure everything was right. Both DS and DDs seats fit rear facing, but the two front seats are VERY close to the dashboard and are uncomfortably upright. I cannot drive in the position the drivers seat is in, and the carseat tech said to keep just the base in and put the rest of the baby seat in the trunk till DD is here since it wasn't safe for me to drive that way. I don't know what to do. Do we just move the carseats a bit so DH and I can drive even thought I now know the kids seats wouldn't be exactly right? Do we have to get a new car? Thanks!

ADS

Maedze

What car do you drive? What kind of convertible are you using? How old is the older rear-facing child?

The answers will help us solve your dilemma :cool:

carnalcindd

I drive a Chevy Impala 2003 (so, a bit smaller than older models). My son is 20mos (about 23lbs) and in a Britax Boulevard (rear facing). The infant seat is a graco snugride.

MustangMama

Wow, there should be plenty of room in an Impala :thumbsup:

Older children can be at more of an incline. You can put your older DC seat up more so it is not hitting the back of the seat.

As for the infant seat, the angle needs to be right for the babys head. That said, you should put the baby on the side that can afford to lose a little bit of room in the front. Say for instance you are shorter than DH, put the infant seat behind you instead of behind DH.

Maedze

I agree, that should be quite doable.

The Boulevard does not need to be fully reclined as it is for an infant. Try reinstalling the seat with the base a little bit away from the bight of the vehicle seat, and pushing down on the seat where the feet go rather than where the bum goes as you tighten the LATCH or seatbelt. This will help the seat be installed more upright.

Also keep in mind the Britax can touch the vehicle seat in front of it. You can't jam it into it, but they can be in contact.

Pixels

The Britax can touch the vehicle seat in front of it if it's allowed by the vehicle manufacturer. Some vehicles with advanced airbags have sensors in the vehicle seat and/or legs of the seat, which can be affected by anything touching the seat. Look for warnings about cargo under/around the front seat in the airbag section of the vehicle owner's manual.

After baby comes, hopefully you will fit a bit better behind the wheel. I know I did once baby was in the back seat, instead of in front of me ;)

o_mom

You have gotten some good tips - one more is that the handle on the Snugride can be left up. If you have the vehicle seat moved forward to let you put the handle down, you can move it back a bit and leave the handle up.

canmom

You have gotten some good tips - one more is that the handle on the Snugride can be left up. If you have the vehicle seat moved forward to let you put the handle down, you can move it back a bit and leave the handle up.

I am not sure about the USA, but in Canada I think there are some Snugrides that don't allow the handle to be up. I didn't check the manual but I saw one recently at Sears that had a different looking handle (didn't look reinforced etc), it was one that the harness adjusts from the rear if that helps. I guess the best option is to read the manual ;)

U

Unregistered

Our manual specifically says the handle must be down.

I think I will try moving the britax behind the driver seat (as we need more room for the driver to be comfortable and safe. DS is very reclined in it, so I guess if he is a bit more upright it will be ok. Anyone know what is considered a safe angel for a rear facing britax? Right now, he is at 45 degrees.

o_mom

Our manual specifically says the handle must be down.

I think I will try moving the britax behind the driver seat (as we need more room for the driver to be comfortable and safe. DS is very reclined in it, so I guess if he is a bit more upright it will be ok. Anyone know what is considered a safe angel for a rear facing britax? Right now, he is at 45 degrees.

If your manual says this, then the seat is most likely old enough that it is expired and needs to be replaced.

Newer ones (including the one I bought in 2003) say that of the five positions (A, B, C, D and E) only B and C (second and third from the top) cannot be used in the car. All others are allowed.

o_mom

I am not sure about the USA, but in Canada I think there are some Snugrides that don't allow the handle to be up. I didn't check the manual but I saw one recently at Sears that had a different looking handle (didn't look reinforced etc), it was one that the harness adjusts from the rear if that helps. I guess the best option is to read the manual ;)

Can't say about Canada, but in the US, the manual is the same for the 3 and 5 pt versions and it allows the handle to be up in the car. Older ones (say pre-2003, but may have been before that) did not allow it, but Graco has changed that since. Here's a thread from last year on the subject: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=33931

Last edited:

canmom

I also just wanted to mention that it isn't only a matter of comfort for the front passangers, it is also a safety concern to sit that close to an airbag. Occupants should be at least 10 inches (or 25cm) away from the air bag and even more if possible.

carnalcindd

If your manual says this, then the seat is most likely old enough that it is expired and needs to be replaced.

Newer ones (including the one I bought in 2003) say that of the five positions (A, B, C, D and E) only B and C (second and third from the top) cannot be used in the car. All others are allowed.

Our seat is from only a couple years ago.

I moved the snugride to the center, and it fits fine and the driver seat is comfortable to drive in. I moved DS's britax a bit more upright so the passenger seat isn't so close to the dash any more. Any reason I shouldn't have the two seats next to one another like that?

o_mom

Our seat is from only a couple years ago.

I moved the snugride to the center, and it fits fine and the driver seat is comfortable to drive in. I moved DS's britax a bit more upright so the passenger seat isn't so close to the dash any more. Any reason I shouldn't have the two seats next to one another like that?

If it is newer, then it should allow the handle to be up. :confused: Can you post the page number and wording from the manual? I'm just curious :)

Anyway, they are fine to be next to each other as long as they are independently tight. If they are not touching, you should be OK. If they are touching, you need to be sure that they are not just appearing tight because they are pushing on each other. To check, install the first seat tightly (less than one inch of movement at the beltpath) and then install the second seat tightly. Then remove the first seat and check that the second seat is still tight.

Pixels

I also just wanted to mention that it isn't only a matter of comfort for the front passangers, it is also a safety concern to sit that close to an airbag. Occupants should be at least 10 inches (or 25cm) away from the air bag and even more if possible.

Hah. If I did that, I would never be able to drive because I can't reach. I'm lucky to get 8 inches, and when I was pregnant, my belly was actually on the steering wheel. Yeah, I didn't drive unless absolutely necessary at that point.

My mom is lucky to get 6 inches, and I don't even want to think about my 4'11" SIL.

I'm 5'4", average height. I shouldn't have to have adaptive equipment (pedal extenders) in order to safely drive a vehicle.

canmom

Hah. If I did that, I would never be able to drive because I can't reach. I'm lucky to get 8 inches, and when I was pregnant, my belly was actually on the steering wheel. Yeah, I didn't drive unless absolutely necessary at that point.

My mom is lucky to get 6 inches, and I don't even want to think about my 4'11" SIL.

I'm 5'4", average height. I shouldn't have to have adaptive equipment (pedal extenders) in order to safely drive a vehicle.

It is like carseats... they don't fit every kid and unfortunately not every vehicle will fit every adult. IMHO, if it where me sitting that close to an airbag I would have it disabled. I think you may need special permission to do so ie. a drs note.

carnalcindd

If it is newer, then it should allow the handle to be up. :confused: Can you post the page number and wording from the manual? I'm just curious :)

Anyway, they are fine to be next to each other as long as they are independently tight. If they are not touching, you should be OK. If they are touching, you need to be sure that they are not just appearing tight because they are pushing on each other. To check, install the first seat tightly (less than one inch of movement at the beltpath) and then install the second seat tightly. Then remove the first seat and check that the second seat is still tight.

I will look at the page and check like you said the next time we go out to the car.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Have you check the actual date of manufacture on the seat? I would think the tech you saw would have done so, but I worry that if your manual says that the handle has to be in the upright position that it is expired. Even if you bought it a few years ago, maybe it was older? I'd check the dom just in case.

carnalcindd

I checked the book, and the info is on page 13. Honestly, it is pretty ambiguous. The tech said the handle had to be in the down position, not the carrying position, so I went with that. It also keeps the handle out of the way when it is in the car. She did not check the date on the seat, but I am going to.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC