Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums
Forums Home | Mobile Site | Search | Carseat Blog | Carseat Basics | FAQ | Store | Support Us and Shop Amazon

Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Contact Us to Sponsor a Top Banner Ad!  

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Go Back   Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums > Community > Carseat Chat

Notices

Carseat Chat Introductions and Miscellaneous Child Passenger Safety Topics and Chat. Discuss Ratings, Laws, News, Etc. No Off-topic Discussions!

Carseat Chat is sponsored by Kids-N-Cribs.com

Old 12-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
njkj
Senior Community Member

njkj is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authornjkj is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authornjkj is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author
Radian XT

I did not know if any one knew or not but the XT is available for pre-order on Elite Car seats now also. They have really good pics too!
Nikki, Navy wife to Kevin and Mom to Jacob 6/05, 57in, and 62lbs riding in a harmony youth and other variuos backless boosters and Grace 11/09, 41in, and 40lbs riding in a Nauti (rear faced for 2y and 10 1/2 months)
Baby Emily 7/12 , riding in a BV70

#ADS
Car-Seat.Org
Please Support Our Sponsors!

Car-Seat.Org is online  

RECARO Child Safety – Child restraints inspired by decades of safety in racing seat technology.

Visitors are welcome to post a question anonymously, without registration. Please see announcement for more details.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
oxeye
CPS Technician

oxeye is almost a CPS know-it-alloxeye is almost a CPS know-it-alloxeye is almost a CPS know-it-alloxeye is almost a CPS know-it-all
Re: Radian XT

I preordered it from them a few days ago and got an e-mail today saying that they will be available in 3-4 weeks.

Very exciting.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
fyrfightermomma
CPS Technician

fyrfightermomma is a Car-Seat.org Leaderfyrfightermomma is a Car-Seat.org Leaderfyrfightermomma is a Car-Seat.org Leaderfyrfightermomma is a Car-Seat.org Leaderfyrfightermomma is a Car-Seat.org Leaderfyrfightermomma is a Car-Seat.org Leaderfyrfightermomma is a Car-Seat.org Leaderfyrfightermomma is a Car-Seat.org Leader

I noticed the description said it offered 3" more shoulder room than the Radian 80. So....how does that change the measurements of this thing? Its so great for 3 across-I don't see how they could add 3" without changing the width, so is this not gonna be great for 3 across anymore?

E 8y 43 lbs 58" Harmony NBB
S 7y 52 lbs 54" Harmony NBB
J-4y 38 lbs Graco Headwise 70 Britax Roundabout 50
fyrfightermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
bobandjess99
CPS Technician

bobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leaderbobandjess99 is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfightermomma View Post
I noticed the description said it offered 3" more shoulder room than the Radian 80. So....how does that change the measurements of this thing? Its so great for 3 across-I don't see how they could add 3" without changing the width, so is this not gonna be great for 3 across anymore?
ya, that made no sense,..they still talked about how great it is for 3-across, and in the sec section, the interior width is listed as 11.4, which is the same as the radian 80....it certainly LOOKS the same....I'll be interested to know how it gets 3 more inches?

Alex, 6 and Katie, 10
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
njkj
Senior Community Member

njkj is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authornjkj is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Authornjkj is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

I don't undestand the adjustable head rest either?? I can't be like the frontier and go up and down b/c it has individual harness slots, or can it? Or maybe it gets bigger width wise?
Nikki, Navy wife to Kevin and Mom to Jacob 6/05, 57in, and 62lbs riding in a harmony youth and other variuos backless boosters and Grace 11/09, 41in, and 40lbs riding in a Nauti (rear faced for 2y and 10 1/2 months)
njkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #6
oxeye
CPS Technician

oxeye is almost a CPS know-it-alloxeye is almost a CPS know-it-alloxeye is almost a CPS know-it-alloxeye is almost a CPS know-it-all

Could they just be talking about extra shoulder room? Maybe the seat isn't any wider than it was before but they got rid of stuff inside to give more space for the child?
Old 12-21-2008, 01:43 AM   #7
Kat_Momof3
CPS Advocate

Kat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org Leader

I agree... remember... on the boulevard and diplomat, the eps foam is only in the headrest... without the eps foam in the shoulder area taking up space, i'm guessing that's the 3"

I'm emailing Russ right now, though.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos
Kat_Momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:57 AM   #8
Mylilboyblue
Senior Community Member

Mylilboyblue is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice AuthorMylilboyblue is a Car-Seat.Org Editor's Choice Author

I pre-ordered it a couple of weeks ago from Hip Monkey. I have never ordered from them so I am a bit nervous. They said it will ship sometime in January.

What color did everyone get? I got the Nassau, cause I HATE MESH!

DS1 - 6, DS2 - 3, and DS3 - 7 weeks!
Mylilboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
emandbri
CPS Technician

emandbri is almost a CPS know-it-allemandbri is almost a CPS know-it-allemandbri is almost a CPS know-it-allemandbri is almost a CPS know-it-all

What is the seat on the top of elite car seats page when you go "sunshine kids.? The one with the blond little girl, it doesn't really look like a radian and has black straps. If I could get black straps I would buy a tan one.

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.
emandbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
oxeye
CPS Technician

I got two Malibu ones - my girls wouldn't have it any other way. LOL I may need both to do a three across with the Keyfit in DH's car. If I don't need to use both of them in his car, then one will go in my car so DD2 can RF to 35 pounds.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
Kecia
Admin - CPST Instructor

Kecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKecia is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by emandbri View Post
What is the seat on the top of elite car seats page when you go "sunshine kids.? The one with the blond little girl, it doesn't really look like a radian and has black straps. If I could get black straps I would buy a tan one.

IIRC, that's an old stock photo of the original prototype Radian65 - before they added their own unique chest clip.
Kecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
Kat_Momof3
CPS Advocate

Kat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org LeaderKat_Momof3 is a Car-Seat.org Leader

I got a reply from Russ.

elite carseats made an error.

Kat,

Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for letting me know. I will contact Elite tomorrow and correct the misunderstanding.

All Radian seats (65, 80 and XT) share the same basic plastic shell body and share the same dimensions (the structural difference being the steel). So, all can fit three across and yet all have about 3” more shoulder room than some other convertible seats (like Marathon/Boulevard/Decathlon).

I had linked him to where it was posted so he could take care of it more quickly... so the store wouldn't have to contact SK to double-check or anything.

But he ALSO gave me a ton of new info on the seat...

I think I had promised you a list of the updated features for 2009:

Radian updates for 2009: Rubber bottom grips for a no-slip installation

Aircraft aluminum reinforced sides

.5” thick memory foam for cloud-like comfort (seriously) < Radian80 and XT

Wider chest clip

Replaceable harness and tether

Updated rear-facing base to make RF installation even easier

Deeper harness pathway channel underneath and on the back

RadianXT is brand new and ships in a couple of weeks.

RadianXT offers the most complete and most advanced side-impact performance and protection of any seat – anywhere.

Let’s start with this: No other seat is made like Radian and it wasn’t designd this way just to help keep the steel industry in business.

Radian80/XT is the strongest car seat in the world and it’s built that way for a reason.

We believe high-capacity means high-performance for the high-capacity child, not just minimum standards to get a weight rating.

We built the highest capacity seat. For us, that means the highest performance including the highest-capacity child.

Safety is not a marketing approach. It’s actual performance and test results.

Forward facing:

Radian feature SafeStop – energy-absorbing harness system to provide the absolute best performance for smaller FF occupants (who from a physiological perspective, are, perhaps the most vulnerable group ). SafeStop reduces peak chest, head and neck loads by up to 30% - this is significant safety enhancement and protection.

Fact: Car seats for children above 50 lbs do NOT have to meet ANY performance criteria.

This is true, only seats below 50 lbs have to meet all the testing standards. This is why some higher capacity seats can get away with ‘requiring’ the use of top tether above 50 lbs. Below 50 lbs, the seats have to meet all the requirements and excursion values in every configuration – with and without top tether. Above 50 lbs, seats can actually have less strength and lower performance…for bigger kids. (Yes, it is about time they updated the government’s rules….)

Radian80/X meets all the biomechanical values established by NHTSA in FMVSS213 - even at 80 lbs, with and without top tether.

Tether use is important because almost all vehicles do not allow use of top tether about 48 lbs. In fact, only one vehicle mfg allows top tether to 60 lbs.

The concern is vehicle anchorage points which are not designed (nor are they required by FMVSS209 to be designed) for the loads of higher weight kids.

Broken piece of metal tethered to a car seat and flying over a child’s head in an accident is generally considered a bad thing.

NCAP is the 35 mph crash test strandard required by US govt for all vehicles to determine their safety rating in a severe crash.

Car seats are only crash tested to 30 mph FMVSS213 (translates to about 23 g’s)

Most safety advocates belief strongly that car seats should have to undergo NCAP at their highest weight rating, just as a fail-safe precaution.

What does 5 mph mean? Well, depending on the type of vehicle and the stiffness of its frame (like that of a smaller car, which more people are driving), the difference can mean almost twice the crash forces impacting the occupant inside. Think about it this way: 35 mph riding in ‘78 Volvo with a long hood and a big ‘crumple zone’ to cushion/absorb the impact or 35 mph in a ‘08 Toyota Echo with not a whole lot of space up their (or a Ford Explorer with a stiff frame).

Radian80/XT was tested to the most severe NCAP crash test – 46 g’s (almost double the forces of FMVSS213 test) with an 85 lb dummy – without top tether.

There is NO car seat that can even come close to this at 65 or 70 lbs, with or without top tether.

They’re ‘bad’ seats, they just weren’t designed with the strength for such fail-safe performance.

Side-Impact performance:

Reinforced sides, 7” deep reinforced head support with adjustable height.

Again, RadianXT is the ONLY car seat built this way, and we did it for a reason:

Car seats claim ‘side-impact’ tested…But what does that mean?...To what standard? With what results? With what dummy?

The NPACS European coalition side-impact standard has the highest degree of international acceptance.

The Q-series dummies are the most advanced and the only ones that can measure side-impact forces.

We also test with a standard, 10 yr old dummy to confirm containment safety and protection for larger children.

That’s real side-impact testing, and RadianXT is the ONLY car seat that does it.

You want great side impact performance? You have to completely contain and protect. For that you need depth and structure. Grab the head-supports of a car seat and flex-them in and out and tell me how that’s going to contain a 100 + lbs of force generated in a side-impact crash?

You want; high-capacity performance? Can’t do it with a hollow, plastic seat. You need a steel frame.

No other car seat is built like Radian.

No other car seat is crash tested like Radian – I take that back. I am sure they have been crash tested like Radian…they just won’t tell you the results.

How about this perspective:

Chances are you’ll never get into an accident, and if you do it will probably be minor and your child may not even be in the car, anyway.

So why even buy a car seat?

The uncomfortable truth is this: bad accidents can happen to anyone at any time. And they do.

All car seats are designed for accidents.

But only one features a steel frame, designed and crash tested for the worst, possible accident conditions.

Radian80/XT is the strongest car seat in the world and built that way for a reason.

A car seat is like an insurance policy.

Choose the best coverage for your child.

If you can find a stronger, safer, better performing car seat than Radian80/XT – buy it. You should.

It has a big feel of a sales pitch, but an informative one, at least.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #13
Kat_Momof3
CPS Advocate

oh, and there is more than eps foam in the headwings

He included this pic in the big portion of the email.

Last edited by Kat_Momof3; 12-22-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: fixing pic
Old 12-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #14
monstah
CPS Fanatic

monstah IS a CPS Know-It-All!monstah IS a CPS Know-It-All!monstah IS a CPS Know-It-All!monstah IS a CPS Know-It-All!monstah IS a CPS Know-It-All!monstah IS a CPS Know-It-All!monstah IS a CPS Know-It-All!

Geesh.... makes me want to go buy Radians for all my kids.
monstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #15
4girls4me

I am very interested in this seat and am considering getting one in Malibu as well...all girls...and even considering getting one for my almost 5yo to replace her Regent...not sure this is a smart move or not, but we sure could use the space in our vehicle. I can't wait to hear what you ladies think of this new seat as well as how the Malibu looks IRL. ~Tina G.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #16
natalie77
Carseat Crazy

natalie77 is a Car-Seat.Org cub writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylilboyblue View Post
I pre-ordered it a couple of weeks ago from Hip Monkey. I have never ordered from them so I am a bit nervous. They said it will ship sometime in January.

What color did everyone get? I got the Nassau, cause I HATE MESH!
Hipmonkey is where I got my DS's Radian 80 just back in September and I will probably be ordering a Radian XT from there as well as long as it fits in hubbys car. They have no sales tax, free shipping and it got here FAST!!
natalie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:46 PM   #17
An Aurora
CPS Technician

An Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org Leader

Interesting chest clip.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #18
njkj
Senior Community Member

I don't see the pic???
njkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:15 AM   #19
Gypsy
Senior Community Member

Gypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org LeaderGypsy is a Car-Seat.org Leader

I don't see any pics either - can someone email them to me? mommyshepp@french.toast.net
Old 12-22-2008, 12:17 AM   #20
An Aurora
CPS Technician

An Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org LeaderAn Aurora is a Car-Seat.org Leader

No pics in her message--you can see them at elite car seats dot com.

Support our Forums at Car-Seat.Org!