CMVSS 213.1 compliance for a bundle me?

Shanora

Ok so I figured I'd check out some of the stores that were here in edmonton that sold the Radian (from the thread in canadian forum), and found this link....
http://www.bummis.com/en/Products/Kokkoon.html
It talks about HOW thick this product is, but is ALSO says
An infant carrier utilizing the Kokkoon insert passed all the dynamic compliance criteria of the CMVSS 213.1.
http://www.bummis.com/en/Products/KokkoonSafety.html

Uhh.....Either I'm off base here, but does the CMVSS 213.1 really allow this kind of stuff?

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
No, it doesn't. I think what they are trying to say is that they did one test with one infant seat in one vehicle, with the Kokkoon and the seat still passed CMVSS standards.

Does this then mean that ALL infant seats will pass testing? Not necessarily.

Does this mean the people they got to do the testing interpreted the CMVSS regulations correctly? Not necessarily.

Does this mean that it will NEVER interfere with an infant's seat harness? Not necessarily.

Too many variables that could change outcomes, for me to trust their crash testing.

ETA: Shanora, I realize you likely know everything I've posted here, I was posting more for newcomers who may be reading!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The biggest problem with this statement is that there are no regulations for aftermarket products, thus there is no specific CMVSS regulation that the bundle me is passing.

The primary standard that determines whether or not a rf'ing seat meets standards is how far downward the seat rotates during crash testing. The maximum rotation allowed is 70* measured from verticle - anything less than that and the seat passes dynamic standards.

So basically, unless you're pushing the weight limit of the seat by adding the bundle me, the seat won't fail CMVSS 213 dynamic testing from the addition of the bundle me. This speaks nothing of how the harness is fitting the crash test dummy though - whether the bundle bag is bunching and a real live baby would be screaming due to the fabric being pulled into them in order to have the harness anywhere near tight enough.. whether the straps are laying flat, whether they're in the right position, etc. etc.

The other thing that factors in, is that CMVSS regulations regulate the amount of padding used in carseat covers. Adding a bundle bag is going to change the amount of padding under the bum, which would affect the overall seat, but still wouldn't affect the dynamic testing which is specifically what those letters are referring to.

So the long and the short of it is that that letter is put in there to assuage parents into believing it doesn't matter what manufacturers, CPST's, or Transport Canada says, and that it's ok to use. It's meaningless in terms of technicality, but the average parent doesn't know that, and uses the bag believing that it's safe to use. Maybe manufacturers should focus on developing a better solution for keeping infants warm in carseats instead of pushing something that isn't safe onto parents and telling them it's safe...

Shanora

Maybe manufacturers should focus on developing a better solution for keeping infants warm in carseats instead of pushing something that isn't safe onto parents and telling them it's safe...

I agree.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC