Latch AND Seat Belt?

K

KailuaTaco

Aloha,

I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma double cab and Combi Connection seat
base.

This vehicle has no rear center position Latch anchors (only outboard)
and the seat belt installation is a little shaky, even with a few
twists to shorten the female buckle and addition of locking clip
(needed to shorten buckle to clear side of base). I have an appointment
with a tech but it won't be for a few weeks. My wife's due date is
sooner than that, unfortunately. Retailer has politely refused to check
installation for liability reasons. Fire stations here don't do it. I know...
I should've started earlier. My bad.

I would REALLY like to have the seat in the center position.

Question: Can I use the center seat belt AND the two inner Latch
anchors? As long as I connect the seat belt first, the seat and Latch
belts seem to function independently of eachother (they don't keep
eachother from tightening). And the installation seems very secure;
much better than the seat belt alone.

I've heard (read) this question asked before but the answer (use only
the seatbelt or outboard Latch positions) seemed to avoid the obvious
possibility that two is better than one. And yes, I do understand that using
the inner Latch anchors alone is a no-no.

Thanks for any help and/or advice!

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
You canNOT use both LATCH and the seatbelt together.

The seat has not been tested this way and you could make your newborn a crash test dummy...and I know you don't want to do that.

From what you described---I think you may be using the locking clip incorrectly as well.

Can you take pictures and post them---we would be able to help more then.

Also since your baby will be RF for some time...it's ok to go outboard...RF outboard is safer than FF outboard.

Susan

scatterbunny

Yes, the locking clip used to shorten the long female buckle stalk is a BIG no-no. :( Locking clips are pre-crash positioners meant to hold a lap+shoulderbelt together at an appropriate point so during a crash the vehicle's own locking mechanism will kick in and lock it tight. The locking clip will most likely pop right off at that point, already having done its job.

In this case, with a locking clip on the buckle stalk, the locking clip will pop off and there will be that much slack in the belt, allowing the carseat to be VERY loose in a crash. If you need to shorten a female buckle stalk to get the buckle out of the carseat belt path, you should twist the female buckle stalk UP TO three full twists, no more than that.

Susan is also right, you should never use LATCh and the seatbelt together, it has not been tested that way and could fail in a crash.

Rear-facing so so safe anyway, it isn't a big deal to put the seat on one side.

kelly

The female end must be REALLY long to get both twists and a locking clip on it??

You can twist the female part three full twists.

The locking clip (if needed) must be on the *seat belt*, close to the male buckle. (ie, 1" away from the buckle not a foot away). You cannot put it on the female buckle side.

No using LATCH and the seat belt.

The outboard positions are perfectly safe. A RF seat, CORRECTLY INSTALLED is incredibly, incredibly safe in any position. I'd be inclined to just move it outboard as it will likely install very well.

That seat may well not be compatible with the center. When you move to a convertible seat, maybe you'll have better luck. Go to a store that lets you try 'em out.

I stressed myself crazy trying to install my daughter's seat center in our new car because "center is safest!!". Until it dawned on me that I was pregnant and in a few short weeks no one was going to be able to ride center. :)

K

KailuaTaco

Latch AND Seat Belt

Thanks for the quick replies!

Aah. My fears are realized. There is no real technical answer because there haven't been any tests done. And since there have been no tests done, no one wants the liability problems. So simply, like you said, Don't do it. My baby is not going to be a crash test dummy.

And sorry...I miswrote: The locking clip is NOT on the stalk. It's about an inch above the sliding clasp, as directed). The stalk was twisted to shorten it so the clip can clear the seat base. But that is moot now. I'll simply use the latch attachments on the outboard position.

Seems very odd that while the large majority feels the center position is the safest, the majority of the new cars have the newer innovation - Latch - only on the outboard positions. What is the reasoning there?

Oh well...Thanks again for the quick responses. This is a GREAT forum!

Aloha!

Ken
Kailua, HI

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Car makers have to have 2 LATCh positions...and the most logical place to put them is outboard.

I have 3 LATCh positions, but can't use them all with LATCh at the same time. I could use all 3 belts/tethers at the same time or a combination of belt and LATCh.

Anymore you need help with...let us know...we LOVE to help with car seats and such!

Susan

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Like Susan said, you have to have two LATCH positions, and the LATCH anchors must be 11 inches apart. So unless you have a wiiide backseat they will not be able to fit three sets across. *Some* vehicles do allow the inner anchors to be used for the middle, but most don't.

The center installation with the seatbelt is just as safe provided you can get a good install. Either LATCH or seatbelt are fine, but not both. Whatever works best.

My car also has a LONG stalk in the center. Blasted thing. I have it twisted three times and it's just BARELY short enough to work. I've posted here for help about it a bunch, and I'm satisfied with my installation, though one of my instructors for my CPST class hated it, and another grudging said it was acceptable, since I, like you, prefer the center.

Wendy

scatterbunny

KailuaTaco said:
There is no real technical answer because there haven't been any tests done. And since there have been no tests done, no one wants the liability problems. So simply, like you said, Don't do it. My baby is not going to be a crash test dummy.

Yes, you have it exactly correct. And I'm glad you said that last sentence...it's something we say quite a bit here, but sometimes we are viewed as harsh for putting it that way. It is the truth, though.

And sorry...I miswrote: The locking clip is NOT on the stalk. It's about an inch above the sliding clasp, as directed). The stalk was twisted to shorten it so the clip can clear the seat base.

That's good to hear! :)

Seems very odd that while the large majority feels the center position is the safest, the majority of the new cars have the newer innovation - Latch - only on the outboard positions. What is the reasoning there?

Even though intuitively the center is the safest, because it is furthest from any potential point of impact, there isn't any hard data to back that theory up. There isn't even any hard data showing which side of the vehicle is safer than the other.

Others gave good explanations of why there are usually only lower anchors outboard; it all has to do with spacing and how many anchors can fit across the backseat being spaced the appropriate distance apart.

Oh well...Thanks again for the quick responses. This is a GREAT forum!

Aloha!

Ken
Kailua, HI

Quite a few of us are daily posters here, myself being one of them. I love this forum, I've posted here since 2003 and have always been given fabulous advice, and have learned so much that I just can't help but want to share it with others. I'm glad you found this forum to be as wonderful as I do! :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
2 is not better than 1.

Carseats are tested with only 1 method at a time & that is how they're meant to be used.... Attempting to install with both at the same time could prove counter-productive by rendering eachother ineffective, thus leading to preventable injury :eek:

We don't know for sure what will happen with both methods of install used together, but it's not allowed as per manuals & what we do know is that a properly installed carseat outboard near the door is much safer than an incorrectly installed carseat in the center :)

It is vital to always follow BOTH carseat & vehicle manuals :cool:

Toyota doesn't usually give any added information about install if it isn't already in the manual -- if the manual doesn't forbid center install with LATCH then you must call the carseat manufacturer for the final word as to whether or not it's safe....

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I had parents come in w/ an infant seat and a Toyota car and we just couldn't get it in the middle. Maybe something about Toyota? It had to be on the outboard and installed well w/ LATCH. Unfortunately some vehicles just don't take well to having carseats in the middle. A correct installation outboard is better than a not so great one in the middle. Maybe when you go to the check, they can help more.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC